Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR44 VOD Programs have Video/Audio isssues

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

I had a HR-44 installed last week and two mini's. I downloaded a bunch of Sopranos episodes. They had been sitting on the DVR for a couple of days so I figured it was time to watch them. While I was watching them the mini's were having pixelation, audio drops etc. I have never had these problems with my old HD digital receivers and old Dtv dvr. 

I marked the times in the episode and went to the HR-44 and those spots were bad on the HR44 also. Now keep in mind these shows were not recorded off air. They were downloaded over VOD and had been completed many days previous to my watching. This happened in multiple episodes and not just one.

When I run a system test from the HR44 I get the dial tone error and the 79 network error which I have been told is normal with mini' genies. Watching regular programming seem to be ok and the shows I have recorded off air seem to be ok.

The HR44 is connected to the internet via the coax connection down to my basement then broken out into Ethernet and into my router. Which again never gave me any problems with my old DVR.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for this issue? DTV is sending out a tech on 07/08/2013 since this was a full hardware replacement done by them. The tech only swapped receivers nothing else.

One last thing, it seems the guide is SLOW on the mini's compared to the old HD digital receivers anyone else notice that? Anyone else think the pic was better on the old HD digital receivers also? Maybe that is in my head?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Tisby

Tisby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Check to make sure that the minis are set to 720 or 1080. They default to 480 & many installers do not take the time (<30 seconds) to set them to the correct resolutions. As far as VOD content not working. I'm surprised you even got a service call for that. We're told there's nothing that can be done!

#3 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

The C41's have 480,720, & 1080 all checked. Should only one of them be checked?

As far as the VOD is concerned how hard is it to download a file to a machine and allow a clear playback? I mean even Torrents do a good job of that. It is not like it is an active stream I am trying to watch like Netflix. It is a file that was downloaded days previous.

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

many installers do not take the time (<30 seconds) to set them up!

What makes you think that ?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

While it may be a bit of a PITA to, if still available can you try deleting and re-downloading the episodes again? Also do other VODs do this?

And yes there have been complaints of slow response speed with RVU on the minis, but usually not insufferably so, though what's viewed as really "SLOW" is to varying degrees part subjective of course.    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#6 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

While it may be a bit of a PITA to, if still available can you try deleting and re-downloading the episodes again? Also do other VODs do this?

And yes there have been complaints of slow response speed with RVU on the minis, but usually not insufferably so, though what's viewed as really "SLOW" is to varying degrees part subjective of course.    

I can certainly download them again. I haven't tried any other VOD's besides the 8 Sopranos episodes I have now watched. I will pick something else HD VOD to download and see if it occurs with them.

As far as the slow goes, I was so happy to get rid of my slow arse HD DVR HR-21 and now my end points (minie genies) are similar in speed to that on the guide. Kinda thinking a roll back to hd receivers are in order instead of the mini clients. Any comments on that?

Thank you

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

I can certainly download them again. I haven't tried any other VOD's besides the 8 Sopranos episodes I have now watched. I will pick something else HD VOD to download and see if it occurs with them.

As far as the slow goes, I was so happy to get rid of my slow arse HD DVR HR-21 and now my end points (minie genies) are similar in speed to that on the guide. Kinda thinking a roll back to hd receivers are in order instead of the mini clients. Any comments on that?

Thank you

I think most comments here, other than the usual 'mine isn't slow' group, do say that the Genie clients are as you describe.  I've only seen clients on HR34s and those that I saw were way too slow for me.  Much slower the than HR34 and my HR24s.

If you go with HR24s you'll have to make sure you don't go over 8 tuners or you'll need a SWM16 installed.  You'll also lose your ability to set recordings on the HR44 from the HR24s - you'll have to do the 'management' of the Genie's recordings from the HR44 itself.

How is the speed of the HR44?  No problems there I hope!

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

The H25 rocks in terms of speed. There are some tradeoffs, of course. Next in line would be the HR24.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

I think most comments here, other than the usual 'mine isn't slow' group, do say that the Genie clients are as you describe.  I've only seen clients on HR34s and those that I saw were way too slow for me.  Much slower the than HR34 and my HR24s.

If you go with HR24s you'll have to make sure you don't go over 8 tuners or you'll need a SWM16 installed.  You'll also lose your ability to set recordings on the HR44 from the HR24s - you'll have to do the 'management' of the Genie's recordings from the HR44 itself.

How is the speed of the HR44?  No problems there I hope!

I would be safe on the on the HR tuner limit since I only have 2 TV's besides the HR44. The HR44 itself is VERY FAST. Coming from from a HR-21 DVR it is night and day difference.

So with the old setup I was able to be watching a show on a HD Reciever and hit record and it would say show will record on your HD-DVR. That no longer would work?

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

I would be safe on the on the HR tuner limit since I only have 2 TV's besides the HR44. The HR44 itself is VERY FAST. Coming from from a HR-21 DVR it is night and day difference.

So with the old setup I was able to be watching a show on a HD Reciever and hit record and it would say show will record on your HD-DVR. That no longer would work?

Well, I think that still works that way but someone will have to verify that.  It is just the ability to change your series lists, see the todo list etc you lose.  You also would have to start a recording from the H25 in order to be able to pause live TV.

Edited by Mike Greer, 03 July 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

An H25 will allow you to choose which DVR to record to. If there's but one, I imagine it will go right to that, no questions asked! 

What gear do you have besides the '44? 

#12 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

As of today the 44 and two mini clients, C41's I believe. I will have the option if i choose to go back to the HD receivers if I want. The DTV rep said that would not be a problem as that would be a "correction".

I am tempted to go back to the HD Recievers due to speed and picture quality of the 41's. Which I believe to be inferior to the previous HD receivers but others on this forum tell me I am nuts as there is no degradation.  :grin:

Thank you

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Well, there shouldn't be degradation, so if there's a difference, you're not nuts; you're just in the minority.

I'd be inclined to opt for one DVR and one H25. That'd put you at the max of 8 tuners for a SWiM8 if I were unhappy with the C41s- and I am not unhappy at all with mine. 

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Well, there shouldn't be degradation, so if there's a difference, you're not nuts; you're just in the minority.

I'd be inclined to opt for one DVR and one H25. That'd put you at the max of 8 tuners for a SWiM8 if I were unhappy with the C41s- and I am not unhappy at all with mine. 

Would you say that your C41 is 'as-fast' as an HR24?  I ask because it is so hard to know with such subjective questions....

There are people that have posted here that their clients are indeed as fast as their HR24s - I think I even saw someone say it was as fast as the HR44... I don't doubt that they 'think' they are the same but I suspect the more correct answer would be 'it is fast enough that I don't notice a difference'.  The problem there is that we all know I'd notice and care about the difference that some don't.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Speed is so very subjective. Moreover, some might be concerned with channel changes/surfing. (I don't surf). Some with time for the Guide to load. Some for scrolling through the Guide. And so forth. 

I prefer measurements in exact time or good estimates, and so usually won't say one unit is simply faster than another, generally, if I can avoid it. Usually, that is. 

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Speed is so very subjective. Moreover, some might be concerned with channel changes/surfing. (I don't surf). Some with time for the Guide to load. Some for scrolling through the Guide. And so forth. 

I prefer measurements in exact time or good estimates, and so usually won't say one unit is simply faster than another, generally, if I can avoid it. Usually, that is. 

So I'll mark that down as the C41 is 'slower but I don't mind and/or notice but can't/won't say'. !rolling

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

So, you're keeping score, then?! 

How bout sharing your report card..... or not!  :rolling:

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

From HD receivers you can specify which HR you want the recording to "fall in"  in an all HRs set up, each DVR will record locally, no way of specify where to "send" the recording. Also playlist management must de done at each HR.  the playlist is shared, however.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

So this weekend I swapped a C41 with H25 for testing purposes and the VOD stream I watched was clean. I want to test it some more but it makes me wonder is there additional video buffering on the H25 vs the C41 or is a firmware glitch?

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

So this weekend I swapped a C41 with H25 for testing purposes and the VOD stream I watched was clean. I want to test it some more but it makes me wonder is there additional video buffering on the H25 vs the C41 or is a firmware glitch?

IIRC, there's no buffering on an H25 at all; it's just a tuner. Are you watching a downloaded VOD recorded on a DVR? 

More detail might clarify.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...