Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dvr without phone line?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Phone line is not required for anything, even if the contract says otherwise!

Makes you wonder why they don't revise the TOS to reflect modern day realities.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Makes you wonder why they don't revise the TOS to reflect modern day realities.

Well it has changed to the fact that now includes Internet as a "responding" method

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Phone line is not required for anything, even if the contract says otherwise!

It doesn't anymore.  BUT it does say that if DirecTV suspects that all receivers are not located at the "service address" they can investigate and if they find that all the receivers aren't there they will charge you full price for each receiver (no "mirroring").

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

It doesn't anymore.  

It still does!!!!

check paragraph "F" here

http://www.directv.c...tomer_agreement

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

I see is still mentions land based telphone line, but I see they have now added land based internet connection as well:

For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, your equipment must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line or internet connection. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your equipment is continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can “mirror” programming to your additional TVs and charge you only the fee amount described in Section 2. You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your equipment. If we detect that any equipment is not regularly connected to a land-based telephone line or internet connection, we may investigate and, if it is determined that the equipment is not at the location identified on your account, we may disconnect the equipment or charge you the full programming subscription price for the equipment.

#26 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

It doesn't anymore.  BUT it does say that if DirecTV suspects that all receivers are not located at the "service address" they can investigate and if they find that all the receivers aren't there they will charge you full price for each receiver (no "mirroring").

You should review the link peds posted.

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

I see is still mentions land based telphone line, but I see they have now added land based internet connection as well:

see post #22

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

While they still have the line about requiring a phone line connection on all receivers in order to receive "mirrored" service in their agreement, they may as well have it deleted since it is NEVER enforced anymore-including sports subscriptions.  In fact, when a customer receives new service and they don't have a phone line or broadband internet the installer hooks everything up anyway and I guarantee they don't pay for a separate subscription on each receiver!

There are a lot of things in the customer agreement that are generally ignored like the one about being charged for changing your programming package.  They are probably still in there for legal purposes so they can zap people who intentionally abuse the service.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

They do charge if you drop a premium too soon.

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

While they still have the line about requiring a phone line connection on all receivers in order to receive "mirrored" service in their agreement, they may as well have it deleted since it is NEVER enforced anymore-including sports subscriptions.  

I see that you have changed your mind..... !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

While they still have the line about requiring a phone line connection on all receivers in order to receive "mirrored" service in their agreement, they may as well have it deleted since it is NEVER enforced anymore-including sports subscriptions.  In fact, when a customer receives new service and they don't have a phone line or broadband internet the installer hooks everything up anyway and I guarantee they don't pay for a separate subscription on each receiver!

There are a lot of things in the customer agreement that are generally ignored like the one about being charged for changing your programming package.  They are probably still in there for legal purposes so they can zap people who intentionally abuse the service.

I think the reason the requirement still exists is for those that don't have an internet connection.  I know a couple friends and family that fall into that category.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

I think the reason the requirement still exists is for those that don't have an internet connection.  I know a couple friends and family that fall into that category.

Mike

Which "boggles" my mind since it has never been enforced, at least not that I can remember 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

It leaves it open to allow them to investigate if they think there's something going on. There have been some posts over the years here that may have given them enough info to start looking into a few accounts.

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

It leaves it open to allow them to investigate if they think there's something going on. There have been some posts over the years here that may have given them enough info to start looking into a few accounts.

makes sense

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Mike

So?  I don't have a phone line OR a broadband internet connection!!  I use a Sprint Broadband Aircard for my internet which, of course, is NOT connected to my R22.  And my other receivers don't even offer internet connection.

#36 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

So?  I don't have a phone line OR a broadband internet connection!!  I use a Sprint Broadband Aircard for my internet which, of course, is NOT connected to my R22.  And my other receivers don't even offer internet connection.

But you dont fall in "this" category"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...