Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Setting-up a Samsung F8000 Series LED TV with a Genie HR-34

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pgiammat

pgiammat

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

I just purchased a Samsung F8000 series LED TV (which has not arrived yet). It will be going in the same location as my Genie HR34. Wired Internet goes to the Genie and the Genie distributes the Internet to my other HD-DVRs over SWiM. Other than the HD-DVRs, there are no Genie clients. Samsung TV will get Wired Internet. There is also WiFi N on the same network (for portable devices).

What is the best way to connect the Genie to the TV in order to get the most out of everything (conveniance, quality, speed, features)? Should the TV be connected with HDMI, just be an RVU client or both? What are the advantages and disadvantages? How should the remotes be setup and used?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

I just purchased a Samsung F8000 series LED TV (which has not arrived yet). It will be going in the same location as my Genie HR34. Wired Internet goes to the Genie and the Genie distributes the Internet to my other HD-DVRs over SWiM. Other than the HD-DVRs, there are no Genie clients. Samsung TV will get Wired Internet. There is also WiFi N on the same network (for portable devices).

What is the best way to connect the Genie to the TV in order to get the most out of everything (conveniance, quality, speed, features)? Should the TV be connected with HDMI, just be an RVU client or both? What are the advantages and disadvantages? How should the remotes be setup and used?

Just connect the TV to the HR34 via HDMI, it will give you all the HR34 features and the fastest performance. IMHO the RVU capability is only useful where the TV is remote from the HR34, somewhere where you would not want to run an HDMI cable.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

If you chose to go the RVU route, it would cost you an additional $6/month and you would lose features (most notably, PIP).

The key to remembering what RVU might be useful for is that the R stands for Remote.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,259 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

The key to remembering what RVU might be useful for is that the R stands for Remote.

RVU is not an acronym.

http://www.rvuallian...esources/faq#21

But I get your point

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

RVU is not an acronym.

I never suggested that it was.

If you read the whole entry,

...is intended to evoke a sense that the technology enables remote viewing of premium television content.

I'm making the rather short hop from "evoke a sense" to "stands for" because "evoke a sense" is silly talk.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

If you chose to go the RVU route, it would cost you an additional $6/month and you would lose features (most notably, PIP).

So are you telling me if you order the HR44 or you get a 34 instead, that with no client you do not have to pay a 6.00 fee?  That does not sound correct.  

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,259 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

So are you telling me if you order the HR44 or you get a 34 instead, that with no client you do not have to pay a 6.00 fee?  That does not sound correct.  

If the Genie is the only receiver, yes.  You will be charge a $6 fee but then you would see a credit

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,259 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

I never suggested that it was.

If you read the whole entry,

I'm making the rather short hop from "evoke a sense" to "stands for" because "evoke a sense" is silly talk.

and if you read my whole entry I said " But I get your point"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,269 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

As noted, HDMI seems the best bet by far. You'll also not have the $6 fee for RVU.... 

Your Sammy will probably have built in WiFi, which I use without issue, so that gives you more leeway if you need it. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

I am not trying to hijack this thread but I do have an New F8000 installed, along with a F7100 both RVU's.. I am using HR2X's right now.  Hoping for the HR44 later this month.  So right now I have 3 HR's and 2 H's. With two new RVU TV's that I planned on hooking up plus adding 2 new HR24 along with my 1 owned HR24.  What type of setup would you do?  All are HD TV's and use HDMI cables.  (I am thinking two RVU hookups with 3 HR24's).    

1.Entertainment Center:  F8000

2. Library:  F7100 

3. Kitchen:  Samsung not RVU

4. Bedroom:  Samsung not RVU

5. Deck:  Sony not RVU  ( I move this one outside when weather is good and entertaining)

** INPUT and/or comments appreciated** 

#11 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

I am not trying to hijack this thread but I do have an New F8000 installed, along with a F7100 both RVU's.. I am using HR2X's right now.  Hoping for the HR44 later this month.  So right now I have 3 HR's and 2 H's. With two new RVU TV's that I planned on hooking up plus adding 2 new HR24 along with my 1 owned HR24.  What type of setup would you do?  All are HD TV's and use HDMI cables.  (I am thinking two RVU hookups with 3 HR24's).    

1.Entertainment Center:  F8000

2. Library:  F7100 

3. Kitchen:  Samsung not RVU

4. Bedroom:  Samsung not RVU

5. Deck:  Sony not RVU  ( I move this one outside when weather is good and entertaining)

** INPUT and/or comments appreciated** 

You'll of course need a SWiM 16 as you'll have a minimum of 11 tuners, and you can't have more than eight on either leg.

I might be inclined towards:

1. HR44

2. HR24

3. HR 24

4. C41 or H25

5. C41

Nice set up regardless! Let us know....

#12 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

You'll note I've omitted use of RVU, only because if it were me, I'd want the small and silent unit in the BR, and a small unit on a portable. 

#13 OFFLINE   pgiammat

pgiammat

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for the input everyone! HDMI it is!

#14 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

I have the same Samsung and agree with HDMI

Protected By... spam firewall...And...