Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installing my first Sharp 90"

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Ooog, it sure is big.

Did not have that sensation in the store since the showroom was enormous, but now with the shipping crate in a room with a more normal ceiling height, it really has some impact.

Thoughtfully, Sharp has the shipping box configured to come off in a horizontal unwrapping motion rather than lifting the box up off the TV, which wouldn't be possible since the crate is quite a bit more than 1/2 the ceiling height.

I am using the Sanus 37-90" bracket.  That part is pretty standard, although it looks TINY compared to the TV.

I have made a 2X4' 1 1/2 inch thick backing panel to mount the bracket too.  This bridges some studs in the wall and lets me put in MANY lag bolts, LOL.

In view of the difficulty in raising and lowering the TV on the wall, I am making a wiring harness that will connect all jacks on the TV, and run that to the equipment rack.  Yeah, I know, some of the cabling will never be used, don't care, I'm 55 and the TV ain't coming off the wall till it dies.

(LOL, have already decided next TV in this location will be a 22:9, there isn't enough height to go bigger at 16:9!)

Did I mention the TV is big?

Found myself just gaping at the box, it is overwhelmingly big.  I have 4 or 5 helpers lined up to lift TV onto bracket in a few days.  (client has had a family emergency come up, completion of the install might be delayed.  I have a key to the place, but won't hang it on the wall till he returns)

TV will be connected to a blu-ray, VCR (LOL!!!) and OTA to start with.  I anticipate a PC hookup and connection as a display device to a smart phone.

I am also doing a little pre-wiring for Dish and DirecTV, I'm thinking at some point this install might have both, heh, heh.

I am routing the cabling inside the wall cavity, and going up to a drop ceiling, and then across and back down in the wall to the equipment rack.

There is an air vent in the ceiling above the TV I find aesthetically annoying, and I have permission to move it 10 feet or so off to the side.  Also, I found some connections to the room lighting and have permission to wire a new wall switch as a kill switch for 2 lights that are immediately in front of the TV.

I am putting the TV as far out from the wall as possible (several inches) to get ventilation, and to leave room for me to get my arm up behind it. Just in case.

I apprised the client that while the TV is pretty good on most specs, it has a problem with 'ghosting' in 3D mode. Client has seen 3D at the neighbors, and was massively unimpressed, so OK on that.

OTA antenna install is a challenge, affixing tripod to the metal roof kinda thing, oofda.  I'll get it.

Speaker system is going to be primarily stereo, but might put some rear surrounds up if client approves when he returns.  Not big on surround, but he does want it LOUD, and we can do that.

More as I progress on this big boy .. . 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Wow ! That is huge. I know what you mean about it not so big in the store but when you get it home in the room being a huge difference.

Sounds like you have it under control and installing it to future proof it also.

Nice write up.

Edit: OMG ! I just found this thing on the Sharp website for mega bucks. Definitely need a surround sound system to go with that. Since so much money is being spent you might want to consider speakers in the wall.

Edited by jimmie57, 03 July 2013 - 10:39 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Man you  must have a huge house.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#4 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

I think my visually-impaired wife needs one of these to watch NFL Sunday Ticket on.  My wife is not happy when she can't watch the Ticket on a large screen! LOL

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

Client has a large area for the TV.  

It is pretty exciting working on it, funny to keep looking over my shoulder at the box, "yep, it's still there, and it's still HUGE!"

Customer bought TV for around $8K  at a retailer, not online.  Did have TV delivered, I was willing to haul it in my pickup, but retailer offered free drop off, so jumped on that.

Speakers (2) are big and loud, and are mounting on the same wall as the TV, to either side.  

TV is for a variety of uses, casual OTA, the smart phone for slide shows, business presentations, and on-line viewing.  I'm thinking satellite in the not too distant future, client actually not big on that, just big on a big TV.

I was a little concerned about the TV get hoisted before I get it installed (seems like everybody knows about it locally!) but it would take 3 men and a pony to lug it anywhere, so I am not too worried about that.  (and who are they going to call to get it hooked up?)

Oh, forgot, they want a video game on it, forgot what kind.  I will connect it, but at my age, I'm not too interested in the gaming aspects.  Client is big on parties, probably going to watch quite a bit of sports on it.

Already have a firm (I think) prospect on another one, a local called me last night and asked about price and availability.  Thing seems to sell itself, LOL!!

Edited by gov, 03 July 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,753 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

It it will be allowed - make pictures for us. Intersting to see it rather than read. ;)

Edited by P Smith, 03 July 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

This, or similar if something better is available, will be my next TV.  We have finished the planning stages on our basement remodel and a very large TV will be part of it.  I want a projector, but given how many games us a Kinect, a projector just won't work.  So a TV it is.

Maybe the price will drop a little by then. ;)

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

How about several large, but not gargantuan TVs??

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

I could see this install with the 90, and 2 32" TVs on either side, LOL!

Also, had someone else want to talk about a big one, we discussed 80" and 90".  Think for the $$$ he is already convinced himself to get an 80", and now he is just weighing how bad he wants a 90" and whether or not the Missus will allow it.

Very hard to remain neutral in discussions with that type of constraint, my loyalties go to whomever signs the check, LOL!

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Due to a family emergency on the part of the client, and myself being a little gimpy from a sprained knee, did not get TV on wall until tonite.

Yesterday managed to get wiring harness in the wall, and actually, that was more difficult than putting the TV up.  The cables are as thick as my arm, and forcing it up the inside of the wall was awful.  Even with help, still wasn't easy, weight of the wiring, and the bulk made it tough.  Run across ceiling was difficult as airduct was an obstacle and some ceiling tiles just would not come out.  Run down wall to equipment rack was only easy part, weight of the cable finally was working with where I wanted it to go.

Only source right now is a blu-ray, played Blue Planet and Dream is Alive first, and then adjusted picture settings with No Country For Old Men.  Not a good choice, I'll take some more blu-rays on Saturday.

Many comments on the size once TV was on bracket.  Only took 3 men to heavy it up, and both catches had a satisfying click so I knew immediately it was not going to fall.  My helpers weren't so sure.

I connected all wires (except RS232, can't imagine TV ever being operated via a computer, and me having anything to do with it), and managed to get power cord tied up behind set.  Over looked having 2 headphone jack to RCA L+R female adapters, but I'll have those Saturday.

Have a picture of the reinforcing plate all bolted up to the wall but for some reason I can't post it here as it is the wrong extension(?).

Out of the box the picture was not unpleasant, I reined in the color, and tweaked several other settings, but need a different  movie to get it dialed in, still it's very watchable.

The room is large, the speakers built in the TV don't play very loud, but I'll get that fixed.

After speakers will start on antenna array.  We can hit 2 DMAs at this location and client wants that plus FM for a receiver.  Have a friend making some attachment rails for the antenna tripod, I am using 5' tripod, 10' of 2" pipe, and then around 5' of 1 1/2" where the antennas mount.  It's as high as I'll go with out guy wires.  The rails hold very well, just a pain installing all this as I get older, LOL.

Will add a big ground rod, ground wire and a sharp aluminum spike to the top of the stack, too.  I am still far below some power lines not too far away, and I am not close enough to contact them even if antenna stack falls over.

Neighbor wanted the box the TV came in, fortunately.  I wasn't sure how I was going to haul it off!

Client impressed that post-it notes on the wall lined up quite well with location of TV, it wound up right were we wanted it.  There was a slight out-of-level condition, the RH side was a tad low.  The adjuster on the bracket was a bit of a reach to get to, but I got it.  Having the TV built out so far from the wall really helped.  Also made plenty of room for connecting wires, and since the TV is so big, having it further off the wall enhances the 'floating' effect I like.

Lucky the bracket was centered for TV location, the TV bracket holes come out right at the ends of the mounting plate, very little left or right travel on the bracket as installed.  Glad the reinforcing plate was there, it allowed perfect centering of the bracket, and it holds TV off the wall another 1 1/2".

More later, it's a fun project, just too bad it has taken a couple weeks to get it up, we all were anxious to see TV on the wall and working!

#11 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:55 AM

Any updates ? Did you take any pics ? I have had my eye on the 90 fo quite some time. Promised the wife I wouldn't buy another TV till Oct- Nov. I hope it can be had for about 6 grand by then. If so, I will be all over it.

#12 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

Any updates ? Did you take any pics ? I have had my eye on the 90 fo quite some time. Promised the wife I wouldn't buy another TV till Oct- Nov. I hope it can be had for about 6 grand by then. If so, I will be all over it.

Best Buy has the 90" on sale for $8,000.

http://www.bestbuy.c...7&skuId=9090233

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

80" (Sharp) is around $3500 now at BB.  Makes me want one for my house.  

Everyone happy with set, picture quality is good, speakers play loud, and the size is right.  TV is getting some use as a display for a laptop and the readability of the screen is appreciated.

Install still not finished, my gimpy knee has been a hindrance for ladder work, but there is enough connected to TV it is seeing use. ( need to change some of the room lighting, and a little trim work by the equipment rack.

I tried posting a pic but I get the wrong extension error and have no idea what's up with that.

#14 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

Best Buy has the 90" on sale for $8,000.

http://www.bestbuy.c...7&skuId=9090233

Yes, thanks. I saw that a few days ago. But as I said, I promised the wife, nothing before Oct- Nov. Also. it's my hope to see a price drop by then.

#15 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

80" (Sharp) is around $3500 now at BB.  Makes me want one for my house.  

Everyone happy with set, picture quality is good, speakers play loud, and the size is right.  TV is getting some use as a display for a laptop and the readability of the screen is appreciated.

Install still not finished, my gimpy knee has been a hindrance for ladder work, but there is enough connected to TV it is seeing use. ( need to change some of the room lighting, and a little trim work by the equipment rack.

I tried posting a pic but I get the wrong extension error and have no idea what's up with that.

I have had my 80 inch Sharp for close to 2 years now. I got lucky and caught a sale, and an extra 5% off for using the store's credit card. Back then it was a steal at $3800. Still loving it !!!

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

As pixels get stretched more and more as screen sizes increase, what is the optimum size? Doesn't one have to sit quite far back with a mega set (90" and above")?

#17 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Room is scaled pretty big, long dimension is over 40 feet.  Closest seating is around 12 feet, and if they had a crowd, TV is high enough for good sight lines from much further back.

With the 9 foot ceiling TV doesn't look freakishly big.  (of course I am used to it now)  Future TVs in this spot could be wider but not taller (22:9), unless they do a remodel.

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Nice! Perfect for the 4K's in a few years...... :)   though I'm also saying that seriously.

#19 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

8-10 FT works great for my 80. If and when I get the 90, it will be in the same place it is now. Only difference is I most likley will wlll wall mount it. That will give me an extra foot or so of distance. Mine is in my garage. (mancave)  Ceiling height is 10ft.

Here's a pic of the man cave taken when I had the 70 inch in there. Had to remove a shelf to get the 80 in the same spot.

osbczo.jpg

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Did you move the 70 to the left or the right? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

spam firewall