Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Policy/Legal Issue

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hi all, quick question

Let's say I have an H20 and I want to SWAP it (no commitment) for a 3D capable HD receiver.  As you may know, and directv knows, under this circumstance, and only this circumstance, directv requires that you return the H20 that you have even though, in general, they do not want H20s back (I had a thread about this awhile back and on previous calls to directv they did indeed say they would need the H20 back in a SWAP).

Let's furture say that the directv rep said they do NOT want my H20 back. In this case, I happen to own the h20 (not leased) which means I could sell it.  Let's say I inform the rep that they are wrong about not needing the H20 back but the rep insists it is true.  Lets then say I have the rep put into the notes on the account that I do not have to send my H20 to them in the swap and have the rep read back to me that note.

I have little doubt that at some point Directv will ask me for the h20 back again.  At that point I will point to the notes and tell them they are not getting the h20 back and they are not going to charge me for the box.

Does anybody know if Directv will honor that note or what will happen.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Hi all, quick question

Let's say I have an H20 and I want to SWAP it (no commitment) for a 3D capable HD receiver.  As you may know, and directv knows, under this circumstance, and only this circumstance, directv requires that you return the H20 that you have even though, in general, they do not want H20s back (I had a thread about this awhile back and on previous calls to directv they did indeed say they would need the H20 back in a SWAP).

Let's furture say that the directv rep said they do NOT want my H20 back. In this case, I happen to own the h20 (not leased) which means I could sell it.  Let's say I inform the rep that they are wrong about not needing the H20 back but the rep insists it is true.  Lets then say I have the rep put into the notes on the account that I do not have to send my H20 to them in the swap and have the rep read back to me that note.

I have little doubt that at some point Directv will ask me for the h20 back again.  At that point I will point to the notes and tell them they are not getting the h20 back and they are not going to charge me for the box.

Does anybody know if Directv will honor that note or what will happen.

You won't find any legal advice on this forum.  You will probably see replies from DirecTV employees that claim official policy.

I don't know the details of the kind of SWAP you are talking about.  However, I had a similar doubt awhile back about an H20 and an HR20 that I had deactivated.  They never sent a recovery kit.  Lots of discussions on this forum about this issue - including employees saying policy is to never recover them.  I argued that regardless of policy I had not received anything official in writing saying that they would never be collected or charged to me.  Unlike the paper I have that says they own it forever and can charge me for it.  There was never a conclusion that was legally solid (IANAL).

I stored the junk for a year or so and eventually used the recycling service that DirecTV eventually referred to.  Again nothing solid - no guarantee that said service reports model/serial back to DirecTV.  I just gave up on DirecTV doing the right thing.

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,823 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

From what I read,

if you swapped it out for a 3D capable receiver it would be an upgrade and require the 2 year commitment.

However, if it died and was replaced it would not trigger the 2 year contract.

If they did not want it back and you kept it and then sold it to someone they would not activate it for them.

As far as the note in your file goes, that is totally dependent on whether the person on the other end actually puts it in the file.

I do not know why so many people make a big deal out of a 2 year contract. If you have had it for 2 years you probably are not going to leave and time goes by really fast. I have been with them since 1996. Whether what I want triggers a new contract or not never enters into the conversations I have with them.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

I concur with being cautious as I was charged a non-return fee on a receiver that was still active on my account, LOL!!

All over  DirecTV, there are shoeboxes, filled with little scraps of paper. The scraps are vital company records, and from time to time, somebody will accidentally kick a shoebox out from under a desk, or one falls out of the ceiling tiles or one turns up in the supply closet.  At that point, somebody goes through the little scraps of paper and updates the computer records . . . 

!rolling

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

From what I read,

if you swapped it out for a 3D capable receiver it would be an upgrade and require the 2 year commitment.

I believe swapping a receiver for a receiver when giving them the error code on a 3D channel, there is no commitment. They send an H21-25.

#6 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

From what I read,

If they did not want it back and you kept it and then sold it to someone they would not activate it for them.

As far as the note in your file goes, that is totally dependent on whether the person on the other end actually puts it in the file.

I do not know why so many people make a big deal out of a 2 year contract. If you have had it for 2 years you probably are not going to leave and time goes by really fast. I have been with them since 1996. Whether what I want triggers a new contract or not never enters into the conversations I have with them.

No, you misunderstand how a swap works.

Directv allows you to swap a non-3d-capable hd receiver for a 3d capable receiver for a SWAP, not an upgrade.  The swap does not trigger a new commitment.  It's a straight swap.  The trick is that you have to return the swapped-out box where, under any other scenario (deactivation of box, cancellation of service, any kind of upgrade, etc), you do not have to return the old box (in the case of an h20).

BTW, the full note includes: No activation fee, no new commitment, no return of old box.  In the case of this thread,, the No activation fee is either policy or DTV is willing to wave, No new commitment is policy and defines a SWAP.  It is the no box return that the rep was wrong about.

BTW, I waited on the phone until the rep put through the order and the rep claimed the order went through without a flag.

#7 OFFLINE   bigwillieb

bigwillieb

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

If your worried about being charged a fee for it. You could use the recycling program. They send any boxes that need to be returned to DIrectv to the right place. It's directv.com/recycle

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Since an H20 is basically worthless, this seems like a moot point.  I didnt see any mention of the PP here....owned or not, if you want a free SWAP to upgrade for 3D, you have to do the swap.  If you are attempting to keep the device that is supposed to be involved in the SWAP it isnt a SWAP anymore.  Its them sending you a free box for nothing. Send it back and be done with it

Edited by CCarncross, 03 July 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

I believe swapping a receiver for a receiver when giving them the error code on a 3D channel, there is no commitment. They send an H21-25.

Yes, everything you say it true, but it does not answer my question.

Let's see if I can boil this down:

1) In a SWAP, directv requires you return the swapped-out box.  It does not require a new commitment but it does require a return of the old box

2) In this case, the rep said I did not have to return the old h20 box - ever.

3) I'm 98% sure the rep is wrong.  As a result I had the rep take the note onto the account saying I will never have to return the old box.

4) Since I own my current box, I can just ebay it.   Once I do that, it's gone.

5) At some point, directv is going to see the mistake and demand a return of a box I no longer have.

6) I will point to the note on the account.

7) What happens then?

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Do not sell the box- it's worth almost nothing anyway. Stick it in the back of a closet for 7 years. Statute of limitations! If they insist on having it back, have them send a box, and send the bloody thing back. 

Be done with it. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

I agree with Laxguy, the box is not worth anything. Which manufacturer is this H20 (number after the dash)?

#12 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

I agree with Laxguy, the box is not worth anything. Which manufacturer is this H20 (number after the dash)?

Nope, you guys are wrong about that.   Besides having the OTA input, it does not suffer from the HDGUI issue with a SD output.  It is a unique box and still in demand.  I paid a good penny and the next person would also pay a penny for the box.  Trust me on this.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'm assuming it is not a -600?

I was quite glad to get rid of my -100, but maybe that's just me.

#14 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

Mine happens to be the H20-100 and has worked flawlessly for me for probably 3-4 years.  The only problem with it is that it can't deal with 3d channels.

#15 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Im confused, you want to swap for a 3d capable receiver H2x and still keep the H20 you have, then what is the point in swapping boxes if you intent on keeping old box, I would rather sell it since you said is a owned box, then try to get an upgrade from Directv which it would be leased and a 2 year commitment.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#16 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

OK, here's the longer version

In January, I started the following thread to discuss the policy and process associated with SWAPPING boxes: http://www.dbstalk.c...p/#entry3073797

As a result of that thread I understood my options and understood that to avoid a commitment I would need to SWAP boxes and that would require me to return my h20.

Since that thread I have called Directv 4 or 5 times trying to get thier opinion on the issue and seeing if I could get lucky playing russian-rep-roulette.

All 4/5 times (including one conversation discussing the issue with retention) and after everyone of the reps had to research the issue (since it is relatively unique) every one of them (including retetion) told me that I had 3 options:

1) Swap my h20 for a 3d-capable box.  No commitment but I would have to send my h20 back to directv even though I owned that box., or,

2) Get an upgrade.  Directv would send me a 3d-capable box for no charge, I did not have to return my h20 but I would have a 2-year commitment, or,

3) Agree to the swap and then not return my h20.  Directv would then charge me for an unreturned receiver.

The last time I called to check was in May.

I finally made peace with the fact that to get a 3d-capable receiver for no cost and no commitment I would need to part with one of my h20s (I have 3) via a swap.  I even bought an AM21 (necessary for me with a newer box) and a monoprice converter (necessary for me with a newer box).  This week I called to execute the swap transaction.  To my shock and pleasent surprise, the rep said the swap would not require a return.  I even argued with the rep that they were wrong.  They insisted.

I then started this thread.

Edited by rbmcgee, 03 July 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Great. Now you can terminate it. 

#18 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Great. Now you can terminate it. 

I don't know what that means but I am still looking for some guidence. 

If a note on the account says that the rep said "rbmcgee never has to return his h20" and then in the future dtv decides they do want the h20 back, will dtv honor the reps commitment or is there fine print somewhere that states what the rep says is a nonbinding opinion and dtv's policy trumps the notes.

#19 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

I don't know what that means but I am still looking for some guidence. 

If a note on the account says that the rep said "rbmcgee never has to return his h20" and then in the future dtv decides they do want the h20 back, will dtv honor the reps commitment or is there fine print somewhere that states what the rep says is a nonbinding opinion and dtv's policy trumps the notes.

Always get it in writing.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

I gave you sound advice earlier. If you choose to ignore it, fine, but how about letting it go?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...