Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Policy/Legal Issue

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Always get it in writing.

That's the problem.  It is in writing.  I had the rep read back to me the exact note that was written on the account after the rep wrote it.  If dtv honors that note, there is absolutely no way to misinterpret what was written.  I'm not sure how I would even go about getting dtv to send me a copy of that note.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

I gave you sound advice earlier. If you choose to ignore it, fine, but how about letting it go?

Your sound advice was incorrect.  For some reason you feel that owned h20s are worthless.  You are incorrect in that assumption and that is a fact.

As a matter of fact, it occured to me that I could buy another owned h20 and use that as swap bait.  I checked on ebay and called Directv on probably 7 boxes and everyone one of them was leased.  I did not call on the $150+ box (probably actually owned) because that wasn't worth swap bait.

Edited by rbmcgee, 03 July 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Your sound advice was incorrect.  For some reason you feel that owned h20s are worthless.  You are incorrect in that assumption and that is a fact.

As a matter of fact, it occured to me that I could buy another owned h20 and use that as swap bait.  I checked on ebay and called Directv on probably 7 boxes and everyone one of them was leased.  I did not call on the $150+ box (probably actually owned) because that wasn't worth swap bait.

That part was opinion. You're trying to have your cake and eat it too. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Unless you have a written statement from DirecTV in your possession stating you do not have to return the H20 all bets are off. Laxguy gave you very good advice in post #10. Years ago I upgraded to HD. The rep told me they didn't want my D10 back. I never received a statement in writing affirming what the rep told me. It's been sitting on a shelf in my garage in the event they should want it returned.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,546 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Is all this even worth it? ESPN 3D is shutting down. What's left, 3Net?

#26 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

That part was opinion. You're trying to have your cake and eat it too. 

I am certainly not trying to have my cake and eat it too.  This week when I called dtv for the swap I was fully expecting and had planned for dtv to tell me I had to return the h20.  I never even asked if keeping it was possible.  I knew the answer.  The rep volunteered it did not have to be returned.  When the rep said that I was shocked and spent the next 10-15 minutes making absolutely sure the rep understood what I was saying and I understood what the rep was saying.  Since I knew the rep was wrong, I had the rep write the note to the account and then read to me the note.  I made some clarification changes to the note that the rep agreed to and then had the rep reread the note to me again.

I learned a long time ago what a rep says, promises, guarentees over the phone is worthless.  Nobody can prove anything.  If possible, you must get the rep to record the promise, guarentee in the companies system so that a definitive record can be recalled if necessary.

Please realise, the h20 box that would be sitting on a shelf for all time is OWNED and has VALUE.  It is not a worthless leased box that dtv may or may not want back in the future.

#27 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Is all this even worth it? ESPN 3D is shutting down. What's left, 3Net?

Excellent point and one that is very frustrating to me.  Honest-to-god, the day after I bought the AM21 and the monoprice converter and before I had even received them, I became aware of ESPN 3D shutting down   If I would have learned about ESPN 3D 24 hours earlier, I would have booted this whole exercise.  But now that I've spent about $100 for new equipment to turn a newer box into an h20, I fugure I might just well continue on the road.  Perhaps I will like 3net better than I think I will or maybe something else will come along.

If this works out well for me, at least I will be able to recoup the $100 by selling the h20 and end up even.

Edited by rbmcgee, 03 July 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

It would seem a bit dishonest to sell the receiver if you get a newer model in a swap, what happens if you sell it and the next person tries to get a "swap" for the same receiver.

I wouldn't take any legal advice here but if it were me I would just store it and just be happy I got a newer receiver for free/no commitment.
  • peds48 and Laxguy like this

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#29 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

It would seem a bit dishonest to sell the receiver if you get a newer model in a swap, what happens if you sell it and the next person tries to get a "swap" for the same receiver.

I'm not exactly sure what's dishonest here. 

I've never sold a dtv receiver (either owned or leased) but if I do I would first call dtv w/ the rid and make sure that dtv agrees that the receiver is free and clear.  The potential buyer would not have any problems.

#30 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

You're dreaming if you think you can sell a seven year old H20 for $100. I've acquired a few over the last couple years (for my commercial account, where the tuner matters to me and the lack of DECA and updated software/HD interface do not) and the price has ranged from free (given by a friend) to one I bought on Ebay for 99 cents (plus $30 "shipping") for an owned H20-100 - I wouldn't take an H20-600 if you offered it to me for free.

Maybe some auctions appear to go for high prices, but I'll bet it is shill bidding. There are buy it now auctions for owned H24s on Ebay for well under $100 (many bidding auctions would undoubtedly go for even less) and AM21s cost about $50 to own if you require the OTA tuner. Why would anyone pay anything like $100 for a seven year old H20, versus a much newer H24 that has DECA built in, ethernet built in, has the HD interface that is still getting regularly updated, etc.

Looking at Ebay there have been recent auctions for H20s won for 99 cents, even for those claiming to be owned units. You can set a reserve price of $50 or even $100 when you try to sell yours, but you have to find the sucker willing to make a bid that high when there are other H20s selling for much less, and much newer and more capable receivers selling for a similar price range.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#31 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Nobody here can predict what DirecTV will choose to do in a week or a month or a year. My advice would be to keep the H20, put it away someplace for a reasonable period of time (six to twelve months should be enough) so that you can return it if they end up sending a recovery box. If after that time they have not asked for it back, do whatever you want with it.

#32 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

My actual experience is completely different from yours and I've actually called dtv on the rids.  I would say 95%+ of all the dtv boxes (including the h20s) are leased.  Even though almost all say owned.  If you bought an owned h20 (free and clear) for less that $100, I tip my hat.  I can't find those and recently I looked pretty hard.  I bought my last one about 3 years ago for about $125 and I thought I was getting a pretty good deal.

The h20 is a unique beast with unique capabilities and that mix of capabilities I don't believe will ever exist in another dtv box.

#33 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Nobody here can predict what DirecTV will choose to do in a week or a month or a year. My advice would be to keep the H20, put it away someplace for a reasonable period of time (six to twelve months should be enough) so that you can return it if they end up sending a recovery box. If after that time they have not asked for it back, do whatever you want with it.

I'm not really asking what dtv will do.  I'm asking a very specific question (and back to original post): If a note placed on your account shows an agreement between you and the rep, will dtv honor that agreement?

I have no doubt that at some point (maybe soon, maybe in the future), directv will come looking for the h20 (or put me on a new commitment or charge me for an unreturned box or move my owned h20 to leased status or something else).  When that happens, I will point them to the note.  Even if the rep was wrong in what they agreed to, will they say "Oh yeah, OK, never mind, you're right, that's what you were told" or will they try to weasel their way out of that note's agreement?

#34 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,546 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

I personally think the note on the account is a moot point, as they won't want it back at any point. It's non-recoverable. The CSR was correct about that. They are not sending out H20s.

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

You know, you're right: DIRECTV is right now plotting and scheming to hose you for thousands as soon as it sees you've sold that unit. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#36 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

You know, you're right: DIRECTV is right now plotting and scheming to hose you for thousands as soon as it sees you've sold that unit. 

You couldn't pay me to take ANY H20! 

I'm sure Directv feels the same LOL!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#37 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,392 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

So what the CSR said was wrong and you knew it was wrong. Then you had them put that in the notes and now you want to know whether someone down the line will honor this even though what you were told was wrong.

You're entitled to the swap receiver at no cost and no additional commitment only if you return the current receiver. Period. Put the H20 on your shelf in case they do ever ask for it or as a replacement should one of your others fail.

While I've never had this issue with DirecTV, I did with AT&T. A rep and her manager entered notes in my account saying I was entitled to an upgrade. When I went to activate my phone on that account two days later, the rep that night wouldn't honor the notes. "yep, I see the note and it says you're entitled to this discount, but those two were wrong.". No Ellen Filipiak-type to contact.

So do what you've already decided to do. Good luck.

#38 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

So what the CSR said was wrong and you knew it was wrong. Then you had them put that in the notes and now you want to know whether someone down the line will honor this even though what you were told was wrong.

You're entitled to the swap receiver at no cost and no additional commitment only if you return the current receiver. Period. Put the H20 on your shelf in case they do ever ask for it or as a replacement should one of your others fail.

While I've never had this issue with DirecTV, I did with AT&T. A rep and her manager entered notes in my account saying I was entitled to an upgrade. When I went to activate my phone on that account two days later, the rep that night wouldn't honor the notes. "yep, I see the note and it says you're entitled to this discount, but those two were wrong.". No Ellen Filipiak-type to contact.

So do what you've already decided to do. Good luck.

I look at it this way, If its deactivated and you didn't get a return box, They don't want it!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#39 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

and what makes you think those notes are in fact on your account??.  is one thing what the rep said, another what s/he did!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#40 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,392 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

and what makes you think those notes are in fact on your account??.  is one thing what the rep said, another what s/he did!

+1

Protected By... spam firewall...And...