Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Policy/Legal Issue

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

I personally think the note on the account is a moot point, as they won't want it back at any point. It's non-recoverable. The CSR was correct about that. They are not sending out H20s.

Actually, it was upon finding out that the h20 was classified as non-receoverable that caused me to start the original thread that I linked to previously.  Turns out, in that thread and up until mid-May there is no doubt that under a swap (and only a swap - not a deactivation, not a cancelled account, not a broken receiver) that dtv is going to want the h20 back.  I even chatted with retention about why they want it back only to throw it out?  Retention said, that's just what they've decided and retention couldn't even break it.

It is possible that between mid-May and July 2 directv might have changed their policy (hence the 98% sure rather than the 100% sure from above) and the rep is 100% correct.

If anyone is interested, here's what I'm going to do:

1) During this discussion fedex showed up with an h23-600 (I hope that one is fairly reliable).  No return box.

2) Tommorow I'm going to play musical receivers and get everything ready for activation

3) I'm then going to call and activate the new receiver and discuss with the new rep what the situation is at that point.

4) This will be dtv's last chance to get it right.  If the new rep claims no need to return, that note will be taken and I will proceed as if that is their final answer and I will refuse any future dtv claims on that box.  If the rep claims return needed, after much discussion, I will return the h20.

• inkahauts likes this

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

If anyone is interested, here's what I'm going to do:

1) During this discussion fedex showed up with an h23-600 (I hope that one is fairly reliable).  No return box.

h20.

You wouldn't get a return box , Until you deactivate the replaced receiver.  If they wanted it.  And they would confirm shipping addresses for the return box again during your New activation of your H23.

They are not going to tell you to keep it if they wanted it.  That's not a common mistake!  As soon as the CSR deactivates the old one you will know what you have to do!

I have 2 R15s and H20-600 sitting in my closet. Trust me they don't want your H20

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#43 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

First off since its so valuable to you I'd say consider holding into it in case one of your other ones dies then you'd have a replacement for it and wouldn't have to try and buy one.

Second. After the swap in the box they send you containing the new one if there's a return label they will want it back. Game over. If not then hold it for a couple months. Yes 2. Then if you haven't heard a word call the access card dept and ask its status. That will give you a real answer.

#44 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

The box it came in could be the return box. Look if there's a label or return.

#45 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

The box it came in could be the return box. Look if there's a label or return.

Thanks, yes, that's what I meant by return box.  There is no return label or any information at all concerning return

#46 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

I got a recovery kit in the mail a week after my old dead receiver was deactivated.

It was a new box and new shipping label back to DirecTV.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#47 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

Just keep the H20, but it does seems strange that for a swap they don't want the H20 back (maybe its registed as owned and dont want it regardless) as oppose to a deactivation of the box and letting you keep the H20 because they're non recoverable, but if that's what the CSR said I would go by his word and let them send you a new box, and hope they don't tack you a NRF (non return fee).

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#48 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Good news for me.

As it turns out, for me, in this situation, directv does NOT want my h20 back.  I get to keep it.  The rep and I do not know whether this is because of a change in directv's stance or simply an exception granted to me.  The rep said that the prior note was "written in stone" and therefore applies and would be honored by directv.  They will never put a claim in for this box.

Happy me.

Thanks everybody for the conversation.  Case Closed.

#49 OFFLINE   rbmcgee

rbmcgee

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

BTW, the h23-600 seems to be working just fine with both the AM21 and the monoprice converter.

#50 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,369 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

All's well that ends well!

Thanks for the update and closing note. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#51 OFFLINE   miggo

miggo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

Fwiw, I just did the same thing with my HR20. Got a 3d TV and needed a 3d capable receiver. They just sent it to me and told me to keep the HR20.

#52 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Good news for me.

As it turns out, for me, in this situation, directv does NOT want my h20 back.  I get to keep it.  The rep and I do not know whether this is because of a change in directv's stance or simply an exception granted to me.  The rep said that the prior note was "written in stone" and therefore applies and would be honored by directv.  They will never put a claim in for this box.

Happy me.

Of course it's up to you to trust or not trust DirecTV.  IMO, written in stone in their computer and what a CSR says don't mean anything legally.  (No doubt there is fine print somewhere that says as much.)

However, I agree that from a practical perspective you are in the clear.  I sent mine to recycling (after waiting 9 months or so).

Why is it so hard for DirecTV to send a letter in snail mail?  Simply state that the model/serial has been permanently deactivated and that, as the owner of the device, DirecTV instructs the consumer to dispose of it - preferably using the recycling service identified by DirecTV.  IANAL but that seems to be the minimum that would be legally required to void the lease terms.

#53 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

I do not know why so many people make a big deal out of a 2 year contract. If you have had it for 2 years you probably are not going to leave and time goes by really fast. I have been with them since 1996. Whether what I want triggers a new contract or not never enters into the conversations I have with them.

With technology (and offers from competitors) changing at a rapid pace some people (me) don't want to be locked in to a subscription TV provider for 2 years.  This is also why MANY folks are dumping contract cell phone plans and going no-contract.

DirecTV's habit of really jacking up the monthly fee every year also is a reason not to be locked in.

Another factor is the shaky job situation.  A lot of people would not be able to continue DirecTV (or pay an ETF) if they lost their job so they do not want to be put in that position.

I have been with them for 13 years but I still don't want a new 2 year commitment and don't plan on getting one for any reason.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#54 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

The rep said that the prior note was "written in stone" and therefore applies and would be honored by directv.  They will never put a claim in for this box.

The only thing that it ever "written in stone" is writing that is in your possession.  Personally, I would contact DirecTV's Office of the President (this is not really the president's office.  It's a high level customer service group).

They will likely email you back with something that can then be considered "written in stone".

#55 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Good news for me.

Happy me.

Again, I suggest you call the access card department, make sure they show it as owned and able to be sold.  if they do, your good.  if not, don't.  The access card department is the ONLY department I would believe about that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...