Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local Ads on National Cable Channels

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

Maybe this has been going forever and I just never noticed...

The other night on TNT, I saw a set of 2 commercials, shown twice over an hour, that were very specific to my local market. If I remember correctly, one was a car dealer and the other a restaurant.

Is this new?

Since I'm technologically challenged, I'd love to know how local spots got dropped into a channel beamed nationally.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Nope not new. DIRECTV downloads some local ads to the hard drive on a DVR and then when a cable channel has a spot for a local insert ad the DVR plays back the local ad. Last I heard it wasn't being done in all markets, I know I haven't seen one yet in the Austin area on a cable channel.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hi RAD.

Thanks for the reply.

I had no idea that capability existed, and I have to admit I was completely baffled when I saw it. I'm pretty sure my head turned the way a dog's does when it hears a funny sound.

Cheers!

#4 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Based upon you zip code, and viewing habits, DirecTV is substituting ads on national channels. Some of these ads will be local and some would be from national sponsors. Depending on household makeup you may also see more ads targeted to ones age group. At least DirecTv has not come out with receivers that have cameras and microphones yet to cater ads to what the receiver "sees" and "hears" in one's living room.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

Based upon you zip code, and viewing habits, DirecTV is substituting ads on national channels. Some of these ads will be local and some would be from national sponsors. Depending on household makeup you may also see more ads targeted to ones age group. At least DirecTv has not come out with receivers that have cameras and microphones yet to cater ads to what the receiver "sees" and "hears" in one's living room.

Here we go again... with the paranoia 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,524 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Here we go again... with the paranoia

Nope ... the technology has been out for years. If one is going to target ads to the audience why not try to figure out who that audience is? It isn't a case of streaming full motion video back to Big Brother who decides what the next ad should be. But identifying the audience would not be a new thing.

No, I don't believe DirecTV is doing it with cameras. No I don't believe they ever will. But it is a humorous extension of the prying that companies do into our lives to target us with what they feel is the most useful message.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Nope ... the technology has been out for years. If one is going to target ads to the audience why not try to figure out who that audience is? It isn't a case of streaming full motion video back to Big Brother who decides what the next ad should be. But identifying the audience would not be a new thing.

No, I don't believe DirecTV is doing it with cameras. No I don't believe they ever will. But it is a humorous extension of the prying that companies do into our lives to target us with what they feel is the most useful message.

I was referring to a thread about the subject that got very lengthy.  This is one is about to turn the same....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   CorkyMuldoon

CorkyMuldoon

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

James is right - the Ad Insertion technology's been around awhile.  I used to work for SeaChange International.  Ad insertion was one of their chief products.

spam firewall