Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recorded program question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Currently have an HR24 and HR21.  Scheduled to upgrade from HR21 to a Genie and wanted time to "empty"/watch all recorded programming so I wouldn't lose those not watched yet.  Tech rep said with whole home that they could still be watched on HR24 after HR21 removed, that the recorded program was on both HDD's.  I read these forums fairly regularly and have never heard this and it doesn't make sense to use up drive space "double recording" all shows.

I am going to leave one recorded program already watched when the upgrade comes and see what happens, but I fully expect it to be "gone with the old DVR".  Just wanted to see if anyone here has heard anything supporting this.

Thanks in advance for any input.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

If you're getting rid of the 21, then you will lose all it's recordings. If you're just adding the Genie to your system with MRV, then you won't lose those recordings.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

If you understood the CSR correctly, they gave you bad information.

The content is not automatically mirrored and further, it cannot be transferred.

You need to proceed as if the HR21 and all of its associated recordings (including any external drive recordings you've done with it) are going away.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Tech rep said with whole home that they could still be watched on HR24 after HR21 removed, that the recorded program was on both HDD's.

Now if he said "moved" instead of removed, and that "the recorded program could be watched on both DVRs", believe it. 

But when the 21 goes bye-bye, everything on it does, too. There's no mirroring of anything.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the responses.  It is what I expected, but not going to bag on the rep as she was more then helpful.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...