Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What Equipment Do I Need?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eagleibob2314

Eagleibob2314

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Sort of between a rock and hard spot.  We were grandfathered in by Direct for distant network service but about seven years ago we moved and continued with the DNS, can't have Direct do it or they will disconnect the DNS, my wife likes getting the east coast feeds as she gets up early for work and can watch her favorite programs early were on the west coast.  Now the HR20 DVR we have is on the blink.  Would like to upgrade to the Whole HOme Genie setup which means I have to pay for it and install it.  Currently have the Slim Line dish all the lines from the dish funnel into home centnral box two lines from the dish connect to two lines in the living room to the HR20-700 and one line into another romm to an HR21.  The HR20 has ethernet line connected.  In the other room no ethernet.   I am legall blind so it is hard to figure this all out.  Can someone give me a blow by blow in laymens terms what equipment I need to convert to whole home and where each piece would be connected?  Thanks in advance for your help.  In the end I want to have HR44 dvr as my main receiver I have ethernet cable hooked up to the hr 20 that I want to replace and in the other room would like the genie client if that is what they called.  So in my mind I visualize a 1 x 4splitter being needed at the central networking box one coxaial split off to the where the HR44 is to be located and one coaxial split off to the genie client.  at the hr 44 dvr is that where I would install what I thihk they call a deca hook that up power connect the incomming coxial to the decca and then hook up to hr44 and plug ethernet cable to the hr44? 

Edited by Eagleibob2314, 03 July 2013 - 03:32 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Call them. They will probably install it for free or close to it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Eagleibob2314

Eagleibob2314

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Call them. They will probably install it for free or close to it.

Can't do that as they will disconnect the DNS since we moved from where we were aurthorized to get the NY and LA feeds now that there

are local satellite feeds.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

When you get new receivers and activate them that will probably change anyway.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Eagleibob2314

Eagleibob2314

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

When you get new receivers and activate them that will probably change anyway.

Hasn't so far have changed out two or three of them in the past eithither I bought them or had them ship them to old house where I

was actually grandfathered in and new owners would call us and we pick them up.  Have you any practical experience where you activate the new box and they canceal the DNS?

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

OK.

Some of the installers can guide you as to what to use for an upgrade.

A list of the receivers you want to have when you are finished will help them a lot.

#7 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,030 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Hasn't so far have changed out two or three of them in the past eithither I bought them or had them ship them to old house where I
was actually grandfathered in and new owners would call us and we pick them up.  Have you any practical experience where you activate the new box and they canceal the DNS?

not trying to be rude but we may have an issue here. Your second sentence makes it sound like service is still registered at your old house and you are living somewhere else. If true, this is a violation of DirecTVs Terms of Service and this forum does not allow discussion of practices that violate said TOS

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Good point. 

It looks like you have to give up the grandfathered feed, which has now become counter-TOS in exchange for a huge upgrade in service. Let the installers do it right, and you'll be tickled with the flexibility and speed. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   bigbw

bigbw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

I had DNS in AZ. I moved to Arkansas and used movers connections, did not lose DNS.. Moved once while living in AR, used movers connection again and still did not lose DNS.. Moved back to AZ and used movers connection again and still have DNS.  I even asked the CSR about it once and she said the only way I would lose it was if I canceled it..

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well, that's certainly hopeful! But your experience won't guarantee the outcome desired by Eaglebob.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall