Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Douglas Engelbart, age 88 (You're probably using one of his devices right now)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

The inventor of the computer mouse, Doug Engelbart, has died aged 88.

Engelbart developed the tool in the 1960s as a wooden shell covering two metal wheels, patenting it long before the mouse's widespread use.

He also worked on early incarnations of email, word processing and video teleconferences at a California research institute.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-23174052

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

A real pioneer. Oddly enough, I am using a track pad at this moment, but I still have an old rectangular mouse from a very old Mac. 

R.I.P. Doug

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,648 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Here is the complete "Mother of all demos" broken into clips. The whole thing is at the bottom, and is 100 minutes long.

http://sloan.stanfor...e/1968Demo.html

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,713 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

I first was exposed to that technology when I bought an Atari Gran Trak 10 driving game for my beach arcade in 1974.  It was used to detect both direction and angular rate of the steering wheel rotation.

There were two infrared leds and two receiving transistors and a light interrupter wheel in between them.  The outputs of the receiver transistors was converted to TTL level (five volts for binary 1, zero volts for binary 0) and those outputs were then fed into a J-K flipflop, such that the triggering pulse would assuredly arrive when the other input (I forget their designations) was high when the wheel was spun in one direction, but low when spun in the other.  If you saw a wave timing diagram, you could easily see why it would never fail.  The rate of motion detection pulse could be provided by either of the receiver transistors.  I don't remember the first game to use two of these optical interdiction pairs in a so-called trackball like a mouse does, but it might have been Missile Command.

The only weakness of the trackball implementation was that you could attain maximum speed a little faster in one direction than the other because the trackball and roller shaft were off to one side or the other, and pushing the trackball towards the roller made more reliable frictional contact than pushing it in the away direction. 

Edited by AntAltMike, 05 July 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,134 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

RIP Doug and thank you!

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11