Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Happy 4th of July!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

May everyone have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July!

4th of July activities (parade, fireworks, etc.) have been rained out in our area for the first time in 34 years so our 4th will spent cooking on the George Foreman grill inside while watching the Twilight Zone Marathon on Syfy..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Back atcha, and same wishes to everyone: Happy Fourth!!

My area is @ 107, and may put a degree or two on top of that. 

I do know it rained big in Cinncy, as the BB game was postponed.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

Actually, it's called 'Independence Day'.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

OK. 

But I think we are allowed to use casual terms when they're widely understood! 

Happy Day After Independence Day, then! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Actually, it's called 'Independence Day'.

is it?  

I give you this to consider:

Congress established the first federal holidays in 1870: “the first day of January, commonly called New Year's day, the fourth day of July, the twenty-fifth day of December, commonly called Christmas day, and any day appointed or recommended by the President of the United States as a day of public fast or thanksgiving.” The decision to include common names for New Year’s Day and Christmas, but not Independence Day, indicates how rare the phrase had become. In 1938, Congress granted pay to federal employees on holidays, listing all by name, including Fourth of July, rather than Independence Day.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

is it?  

I give you this to consider:

Happy 14th of February? Happy 17th of March? Happy first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox? Happy 11th of November? Happy Fourth Thursday in November? Happy December 25th? I think not.

Every nation has a Fourth of July, only we have an Independence Day holiday/celebration that falls on that date.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#7 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

Happy 14th of February? Happy 17th of March? Happy first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox? Happy 11th of November? Happy Fourth Thursday in November? Happy December 25th? I think not.

Every nation has a Fourth of July, only we have an Independence Day holiday/celebration that falls on that date.

except our government chose not to call it that when they drafted up our legal holidays in 1870 & again in 1938. They chose to reflect names of other holidays but that particular one, could it have to do with the fact that the USA did not declare their independence from Great Britain on July 4th?  

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#8 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

except our government chose not to call it that when they drafted up our legal holidays in 1870 & again in 1938. They chose to reflect names of other holidays but that particular one, could it have to do with the fact that the USA did not declare their independence from Great Britain on July 4th?  

The Independence Day holiday celebrates the official adoption of the Declaration of Independence by the Second Continental Congress, which occurred on July 4, 1776.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#9 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

happy blow stuff up but not your fingers day :)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#10 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

The Independence Day holiday celebrates the official adoption of the Declaration of Independence by the Second Continental Congress, which occurred on July 4, 1776.

There is some question about if even that date is accurate. Their is some evidence that suggests the Declaration of Independence was not signed by everyone (and as such officially adopted) until August 2nd. 

The question still remains is why did our government choose NOT to call it Independence Day but fourth of July when they drafted up a list of holidays?   Why is it a large number (possibly even a majority) of our country calls it Fourth of July and not Independence Day?  

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Are you sure about this?

The Philippines celebrates July 4 as their Republic (independence) dDay to commemorate their independence from the USA (the date it ceased being a US Territory)

Rwanda has Liberation Day on July 4th as well which commemorates the end to 1994 genocides.

North Mariana Islands celebrates liberation from Japan on July 4th

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

There is some question about if even that date is accurate. Their is some evidence that suggests the Declaration of Independence was not signed by everyone (and as such officially adopted) until August 2nd. 

The question still remains is why did our government choose NOT to call it Independence Day but fourth of July when they drafted up a list of holidays?   Why is it a large number (possibly even a majority) of our country calls it Fourth of July and not Independence Day?  

It is pretty much universally accepted that the DoI was not signed by all on the same date, which has absolutely nothing to do with the date of its adoption by the Second Continental Congress on July 4, 1776.

#13 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Are you sure about this?

The Philippines celebrates July 4 as their Republic (independence) dDay to commemorate their independence from the USA (the date it ceased being a US Territory)

Rwanda has Liberation Day on July 4th as well which commemorates the end to 1994 genocides.

North Mariana Islands celebrates liberation from Japan on July 4th

Seems I've provided you with a nice little hobby. You're welcome, and happy two days past Independence Day!

#14 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Seems I've provided you with a nice little hobby. You're welcome, and happy two days past Independence Day!

and Happy Sixth of July to you!

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,862 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

All that I know is that I had a six day work week this week. 

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

On July 4th I had family over and we got into a discussion of what the younger generation would do without electricity. Most of my family thought they would be lost without the Internet, let alone electricity. The power goes out and the kids can't Google (or Bing) how to turn it back on.

(Check the breaker panel to see if it is just a popped breaker ... then follow the wires (if visible) to see if there is any obvious damage ... then call the power company and report what you know. The power company's number can be found in the phone book, if you have a print version. Or a recent bill if you're still getting one.)

Happy whatever ... as long as you're happy. (Sorry Mark.)

BTW: "The current U.S. Code uses both names for the holiday." Since I'm living today and not in the 1870s I'll accept the day as Independence Day.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

Since we're splitting hairs here, July 2nd is when the Continental Congress voted for separation from England.  July 4th is when the document was written.  John Adams was of the opinion that July 2nd would be our national holiday but it didn't work out that way.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

From Snopes (emphasis added):

Congress approved a declaration of independence on July 2, 1776, and John Adams expected that to be the most important date in American history. The official Declaration, however, was approved two days later by a committee

I don't celebrate the day I got my marriage license. I celebrate the day my marriage became official. :)

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...