Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Install and Additional Equipment Questions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   coolhdtv

coolhdtv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

I have a Genie install/upgrade scheduled for July 5 between 8 and 12 and want to make sure I requested the correct changes to my installation.  Many setups here are similar to mine and I've located almost all the information I need but have a few more questions.  I have currently have 2 HR20-700, 1 HR21-100 and 1 H24-200 with unsupported whole home DVR and an AM21 paired with the HR21.  I am replacing the HR21 and H24 with the Genie and Genie Client.  I plan to use all 9 tuners with the new setup and eventually add more. 

Should there be any issue with the installer providing me with a SWM-16 rather than a SWM-8 if it's clear I will have 9 tuners?

I have an 8 year old 5LNB oval dish with 4 cables into a Zinwell 6X8 switch.  Should I request the dish to be replaced with a Slimline SWM dish or will they only need to replace the LNBs?

Should I keep the HR20 on the Ethernet connections for WHD or will they require a switch to DECA on the HR20s?

I am also planning on moving the 2TB HD and AM21 from the HR21 to the Genie.  The 2 HR20s also have a 2TB HD each which will remain.  Thank you for any advice you may have.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Use the Genie as your network bridge. Plug cat5 cable into Genie only. Have other hr20s use DECA boxes.

Let installer do it all. If the HR20s are 100 series then there's special considerations. Installer may not be aware. See connected home forum thread for HR20-100 deca wiring.
  • coolhdtv likes this

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,114 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

First off you will get the SWM16 if you have 9 tuners.  The SWM16 will replace the WB68 and you need the dish you have to feed the SWM16.  Unless the dish is damaged there is  no need to change it and if signal levels are good he may not even touch it.

You will be switched over to DECA, and while the Genie will function as an ethernet bridge the installers are instructed to install a CCK for internet. 

• coolhdtv likes this
My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

One more note which you may know, may not: The content of the external cannot be played on anything but the DVR it was hooked up to. 

Not all installers will insist on putting in a CCK where there's a Genie, and in any event it's a good back up, and you can change it when he leaves. I think you'll like the solidarity of Whole Home, "kosher install"®.

• coolhdtv likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Should I request the dish to be replaced with a Slimline SWM dish or will they only need to replace the LNBs?

just a quick note, there is no such thing as a "SWM dish"  all DirecTV Slimline dishes are the same, what changes is the LNB. now if you have an older "side-car" dish, that should be replaced.

• coolhdtv likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   coolhdtv

coolhdtv

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thank you for the input. I've seen others with larger/wider dishes than mine. No one I know so I can't confirm their model but I understand if I need to keep mine. I read there is only need for one line into the house and the others will be terminated. Is there any benefit in removing them?

I will ask to check the alignment regardless due to all < 90 signals on 103.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using DBSTalk mobile app

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

I read there is only need for one line into the house and the others will be terminated. Is there any benefit in removing them?

No, you would need 4 lines from the dish to a SWM16 switch.  

• coolhdtv likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,913 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

I've seen others with larger/wider dishes than mine. .... I read there is only need for one line into the house and the others will be terminated.

If you have a Slimline dish, there is no reason for it to be changed. If you have the older AT9 dish (more square than the Slimline) it will most likely be replaced. 

There are two LNB technologies. SWM and "Multiswitch". An SWM LNB can only feed 8 tuners maximum. In order to have an external SWM16 (to feed more than 8 tuners) you must use a "Multiswitch" (non-SWM) LNB on the dish, which means you must have 4 coax from dish down to the SWM16. The SWM16 has 2 outputs, each capable of feeding 8 tuners. One coax from each of those going to splitters as needed, then on to the receivers/DVRs/Genies is used.

• coolhdtv likes this

#9 OFFLINE   coolhdtv

coolhdtv

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

Thanks. My current switch in a networking box. I will try to make more room for the new switch and splitters. Installer will arrive any minute.

I read alot on cck. I will recommend the genie is connected with the existing cat-5e in place with no need for cck.

I will have deca added to the 2 hr20. I assume just one coax for the mini client. And keep two wires to each hr20.

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Swm16s run very hot. It cant be inside any box without lots of ventilation.
  • coolhdtv likes this

#11 OFFLINE   coolhdtv

coolhdtv

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Thanks. I will find room outside the box for the switch or keep the cover off for cooling.

Does the Genie run hot? I plan to stack the AM21 directly on top of it. Receiver on a shelf below. Bluray on shelf above. In a closet so no doors directly covering it.

• ticmxman likes this

#12 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Thanks. I will find room outside the box for the switch or keep the cover off for cooling.Does the Genie run hot? I plan to stack the AM21 directly on top of it. Receiver on a shelf below. Bluray on shelf above. In a closet so no doors directly covering it.

I have a AM21 below and on the same shelf as my HR44 Genie, the AM21 is larger than the HR44 that is why it is below the HR44. My install was just a couple of days ago, after a few hours of use I checked the Genie's temperature at 115 degrees. I then used a trick I have used in the past and placed some plastic 3/4 inch spacers under Genie. The next check found the temperature at 109 degrees, the AM21s put out a bit of heat that effects anything placed on top of them. The hollow black spacers can be found at HD or Lowes in the hardware section they are normally used on the bottom of chairs etc...

On the power to AM21 the tech had to change to one cable for the AM21 and one for Genie as the Genie has a different power connector that has a sliding lock on it. This is good idea as it prevent pulling the power cord out in a crowded cabinet but it will prevent the old method of the AM21 passing the power to the HRs.

I'm not sure I would swap a H24 for a client but maybe it will work better for you.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. The 5 tuners are very cool feature

Edited by ticmxman, 05 July 2013 - 08:26 AM.

• coolhdtv likes this
T

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Or you could safely use the -16 inside a closed box if its not airtight along with SWM cooling fans.

http://sonorastore.com/1215.html

http://sonorastore.com/1028.html

If you don't mind the additional expense and take the trouble to mount them.

• coolhdtv likes this

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#14 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hmmm makes me want to put some spacers behind my swm16 and the floor joist for better air circulation.

Edited by ticmxman, 05 July 2013 - 09:44 AM.

T

#15 OFFLINE   coolhdtv

coolhdtv

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

I will definately go with spacers on the swm16 and then between the genie and am21.
Tech just called. Running late. Only HR34 on the truck. I'll go with it rather than waiting for the HR44. He mentioned my 2 HR20 may have issues with the SWM. I hadn't heard of that and will keep them unless they replace with HR24 or comparable.

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

...  He mentioned my 2 HR20 may have issues with the SWM. I hadn't heard of that and will keep them unless they replace with HR24 or comparable.

Don't know where the tech. is getting that from. The HR20s work just fine with SWiM, and everything else for that matter except for having no 3D capability and the special hookup needed for the -100 models for WH. 

Edited by HoTat2, 05 July 2013 - 10:28 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#17 OFFLINE   coolhdtv

coolhdtv

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Maybe he was referring to the HR20-100 issues I have the 700. He was also confirming I am replacing the HR21 and H24 rather than the 2 HR20. I said yes because the HR21 froze once or twice per week. I will see if he will replace the HR20s with something not HR21 when he finally gets here. But first get the SWM 16, Genie and client installed.

#18 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hmmm makes me want to put some spacers behind my swm16 and the floor joist for better air circulation.

I used compression connectors as standoffs when wall mounting my SWM16s. Just need some slightly longer screws for them. Aside from any potential cooling benefit, it also gives you a bit more cable routing flexibility as cables can then be routed underneath them, so I was able to keep things looking a bit neater that way.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#19 OFFLINE   coolhdtv

coolhdtv

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

He's finally here. SWM16 will stay in the box. Ethernet connection outside next to the router. Still no HR44 but HR34 will be fine and he said he will swap my HR20s with HR24s now. Good thing the wife if up to date with recorded shows since all three dvrs are being swapped.

And a new slimline dish which I didn't expect since I already had the 4 cables but it's going up now.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Ask him if you can't keep the HR20's if there's any chance there's still something there you'll want to watch. Some techs aren't aware that DIRECTV® doesn't want them back.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...