Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OK, I've Converted To HD, Few ?'s/Minor Problems

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFreshwater Bay Washington

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Last month I replaced 2 old RCA SD receivers at the house/shop building and the shop antenna setup was an 18" Round.  That went well and we wanted to Ultimately convert to HD Receivers in the house and change the antenna setup to a SWM Slimline 5.  So I went shopping (and DTV Access Card Dept Verfying) on Fleabay buying a HR24-700, a Virgin H25-700, and a H25-500 receivers, a Slimline 5 antenna setup, 2 access cards from DTV.  Had it all installed yesterday and for the most part everything went well with just a couple of problems or in all likelyhood, I just don't quite know how to operate/setup/use these newer receivers.  So a little insight from you experts would be appreciated:

1.  The H25-500, On ONLY 2 Channels, FOXNews 360 & DIY 320 I get the 771 msg.  All other channels are AOK and come in fine when chosen.  I have red button reset 3 times, and hard reset/boot 2 times by unplugging the power cord.  No Luck, same result.  Other than that problem, works great.

2.  The HR24-700, really like it, and since this is my 1st DVR experience, I tried recording and much to my pleasent surprise, worked great.  But I do not seem to be able to get the AutoTune Function to work on it like the other receivers.  Is the Autotune function on DVR's different than straight receivers?

3.  Went out to the shop to putter around and tune on one of the new D-12 SD setups and get a 726 msg.  Called DTV who's only advise was to reset/reboot which by the way did not solve the problem.  I suspect a screwup on DTV's end.

4.  Can a D-12 be setup/programmed with an RF capable remote?

Only one more Old SD Receiver to replace (Samsung 303W) in the motorhome and the DTV verified HR20-700 is in transit as I type.  HR20's are the last HD receivers with an external OTA Antenna coxial port and are relatively easy to setup as SD antenna connection (my MH King-Dome 9702).  I live right across the Strait of Juan DeFuca from Victoria/Vancouver BC and like watching Canuckistan OTA TV.

Any other helpful hints or advise??

Owned DTV in Motorhome - HR20-700, HR20-100, H25-700 with a Winegard SlimLine 3 Trav'ler (SWM) Antenna
Owned DTV in the Sticks & Bricks - H25-700, HR24-100, & HR24-500
Lease D-12-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

One more question, Whole Home DVR, i.e., the H25's being able to access the HR24-700 to record and/or play back.  Do I have the concept right?  Is my setup H25's/HR24 capable.  Do I need more equipment installed? Can I self install?   Is it worth doing & how do I go about it?  and last but not least, how much (install & monthly fees)?

Owned DTV in Motorhome - HR20-700, HR20-100, H25-700 with a Winegard SlimLine 3 Trav'ler (SWM) Antenna
Lease D-12-100

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

I can answer one of your questions.

2)  DVRs don't have autotune. Since they are recorders that function wasn't deemed as necessary.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

1. Check the signal strengths on all satellites that you get.

2. No Auto tune on the DVRs. Read your manual here :http://support.direc...aWQvWEpTRHdpUms=

3. 726 | Wrong or Missing RID Number | Verify RID from TV screen & have CS reauthorize.

4. From what I read, NO. http://www.solidsign...000177&more=yes

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,821 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

1.  You might try a re-hit (something you can do on your DIRECTV web account).

3.  This is also a re-hit thing (bad receiver ID)

4.  The D12 does NOT support RF natively; you'll need a third party solution.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

One more question, Whole Home DVR, i.e., the H25's being able to access the HR24-700 to record and/or play back. 

Yes, as long as you have WHDVR enabled on your account

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

1.  You might try a re-hit (something you can do on your DIRECTV web account).

3.  This is also a re-hit thing (bad receiver ID)

4.  The D12 does NOT support RF natively; you'll need a third party solution.

Aaaaaaaha, went to my DTV Online account and for some reason that receiver doesn't show up.  Will be calling a CSR today.  What CSR would folks recommend contacting, i.e., the normal 1-800-531-5000 or the REAL CSR's in the Access Card Department?

How much "Blood" per month does that WHDVR gonna cost me?

Lease D-12-100

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Whole Home is $3 per month. 

You did a self install? Or who was it when you said "had it installed"?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Whole Home is $3 per month. 

You did a self install? Or who was it when you said "had it installed"?

Local Dish/DTV Retailer/Installer did the install.

Lease D-12-100

#10 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

Update on the "Dead" D-12 / 726 msg.  It was a DTV Admin problem.  When I upgraded to a Slimline 5 SWM setup on the HOUSE, they assume I was getting rid of the SD D-12's and deleted them frrom my account, which was reflected when I logged onto my DTV account.  When I explained that my shop building (3 large bays & 1 finished man cave / studio apartment / Dawg Haus bay) has a separate 18" old style antenna setup for SD and is perfectly fine for us, they understood and immediately re-activated the missing receiver - problem solved - THX to the person who advised to check the online account, that was key to solving the problem.

Lease D-12-100

#11 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Well, I have a DTV Install Tech/Van rolling out for tomorrow afternoon.  Two basic jobs to do, first to install a HR20-200 in the "House On Wheels", Antenna is already aimed and signal strengths are in the low 90's, program the RF remotes (2 because I have them and constantly misplace one), and test.  Second job and the primary reason for the service call is to trouble shoot the 771's on channels 230 & 360.  I think I agree with the CSR regarding a "Bad Cable (RG6) Connection(s).  The Good news for testing that assumption is that the swm multiswitch is located in my Communications Cabinet not mre than 8 feet away from the problem H25 Receiver.  So disconnecting from the wall outlet and substituting a known good RG6 DTV Provided cable directly from the multiswitch to H25 should verify/correct the 771's.  If that is the case, then re-doing the termination connectors (that I installed in 2004) should solve that problem.  But I still suspect a "Better Aimed" Slimline 5 antenna maybe a part of the problem.  Will provide updates after the Tech Visit.

My ultimate plan for my motorhome is still to replace the SD Only King-Dome 9702 domed antenna with a Winegard Trav'Ler Slimline 5 open array HD antenna.  After tomorrow, the motorhome will have a HR20-500 DVR setup as SD only and a D-12-100.  Thinking ahead and planning for HD in it, will require replacing the D-12-100.  I think I have a couple of options in HD Receivers to think about.

1.  Transfer one of my Sticks & Bricks H-25's to the Motorhome and get another HR24 DVR for the house.  Which HR24 model would be optimal, least troublesome?

2.  Replace the D-12 in the motorhome with a second DVR, in which case and since I already like the HR24's, get an HR24.  What particular HR24 model would co-exist the best with the HR20?

Last question for DTV experts.  I am NOW quite familar with verifying RID's with the Access Card Dept., before buying on Fleabay (yes I prefer Owned equipment - crazy me).  The Access Card Dept has been very friendly & helpful buuuuuuuuuuut, when they give their "OK", it is for 30 days/one month.  My question is after buying the verified receiver/dvr, can I transfer it (receiver serial number & RID) to my account and NOT activate it thereby extending the 30 day period until I am ready to activate it on my "In Excellent Good Standing Acoount?"

Lease D-12-100

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

1. if you want an H25 in you motor home, you will need SWM.

2. any HR for that matter will "coexist" with the HR20.

Not sure where you get the 30 days "OK" period.  But once you buy the receiver you can activated anytime.  You do have sometime after the access card arrives and needs activation.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

1. if you want an H25 in you motor home, you will need SWM.

2. any HR for that matter will "coexist" with the HR20.

Not sure where you get the 30 days "OK" period.  But once you buy the receiver you can activated anytime.  You do have sometime after the access card arrives and needs activation.

Any leased recevier needs to activated within 30 days, and new access card sent out is also supposed to be activated within 30 days.  Yes, I'm sure there people out there that didnt and havent gotten called out for it yet, but that is policy.

#14 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Update of the Latest Update.  Well I can now truthfully say that the original update to HD from SD and install of new slimline 5 antenna and 2 H25's and 1 hr24 probably qualifies in the top 10 Worst Installs Thread here.  I cannot say enough good about the DTV Installation Technician that came out and corrected ALL OF THE Mistakes of the original install on 7/3.  When I asked the DTV Tech if anything was done right, he said the connections from the receivers to the TV's were OK.

1.  Slimline 5 Antenna.  First off he found one of the adjuster threaded bolts actually broke in half, signal strengths only in the mid 70's for 101 and serious deficiencies on the HD Sat's, the "dish oval" had been dropped and was out of focusing spec/ability.  Went to his Van and replaced the entire antenna with a smile.

2.  No connectors had been replaced.  As a Company Install standard, replaced each connector as he went down the line working, all with a smile.

3.  SWM MultiSwitch.  Found that it had "open ports", i.e., no terminators on some connections.

4.  Power injector.  Connected on the Output side instead of the Input side.  Still couldn't figure out why it even marginally worked.

5.  Even replaced some of my original wall plate connections I did in 2004 when building the house, all with a smile.

Again, Great DTV Asset in that install tech!!!!!  Now that bandit in town so called "Authorized Retailer/Installer" will be hearing from me regarding the Pee-Poor quality and destructive at outrageous hourly rates (3 1/2 hrs @ $80/hr).  I'll post the outcome on that next week.

Bottom line after the did I say GREAT DTV Install Tech's work, all receivers signal strengths on the 101 are in the mid 90's, and almost as good on the other necessary sats. And all channels are present & accounted for, i.e., no 771's. 

Lease D-12-100

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

What a saga! Glad it's sorted now, and happy viewing!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Any leased recevier needs to activated within 30 days, and new access card sent out is also supposed to be activated within 30 days.  Yes, I'm sure there people out there that didnt and havent gotten called out for it yet, but that is policy.

Re-read post #11.  TS was referring to a receiver bought of "fleabay"  meaning OWNED which means this policy would NOT apply.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

Re-read post #11.  TS was referring to a receiver bought of "fleabay"  meaning OWNED which means this policy would NOT apply.

THere are plenty of leased receviers bought on fleabay as well, but even in the true purchase scenario, if you get an access card sent from D*, the 30 day activation should still apply.  In the case of post #11, I dont see how they will transfer any reciever to your account and not activate it.  You can deactivate one already on your account, but I dont see how you can have it put on your account un-activated.  In that case, I say buy the unit off fleabay, and when you get to within 30days of wanting to activate it, call for the new access card.

Edited by CCarncross, 20 July 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

I dont see how they will transfer any reciever to your account and not activate it.  You can deactivate one already on your account, but I dont see how you can have it put on your account un-activated.  In that case, I say buy the unit off fleabay, and when you get to within 30days of wanting to activate it, call for the new access card.

and that is EXACTLY what I said... !rolling

But once you buy the receiver you can activated anytime.  You do have sometime after the access card arrives and needs activation.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

Verified a HR24-500 as OWNED & eligible to transfer to my DTV account.  I also asked if it could be transferred to my account without activation.  The CSR (access card dept) said she had to check first if a "Non Return Fee" had been paid and it was, so she transferred it to my account without activation.

Lease D-12-100

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

and that is EXACTLY what I said... !rolling

But once you buy the receiver you can activated anytime.  You do have sometime after the access card arrives and needs activation.

I think it's something like 9 days from the time you buy the access card to activate it.  After that, they'll ask you to buy another access card.  

Rich

• damondlt likes this

spam firewall