Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 22 Receiver stutters and sometimes won't power up unless I unplug?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   twotonetommy

twotonetommy

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

Hello,

I have been searching the web in various forums trying to pin point a solution to my problem.   I use DirectTv and I have a HR22 PVR receiver.   In the last two months my receiver has been sluggish when looking at menus and when watching recorded items.   Often when I fast forward a recorded program the picture appears to go in Pause mode but its actually fast forwarding.  Once I push play from fast forward, I then see that it has moved forward in the recording.   

Occasional the screen freezes while watching live programming and we wait and eventually after waiting sometimes several minutes, it starts to play.

Now more recently when I power the receiver down and come back to it the next day, it won’t power up.  I try pushing the power button on the remote and the power button on the receiver.   I end up pulling the power cord from the back of the receiver and then it does a full reboot and things start to work again. 

I have performed a full diagnostics and it came up with nothing.

I have also done a scan of the hard drive and at first it came back with an error on the drive.   Later I tried to do the same scan but came back with no error.

So my question is this, do you think it’s a bad hard drive and would that explain ALL of my systems including the power issue.   

I own my receiver and I am in a location where a tech could not come out easily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please don’t say the receiver is dead and you need to get a new one.   I am looking for a fix to my current receiver.

Thank you

TwoToneTommy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,665 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Try this. Select channel 1. Wait for Customer Support Application to load. Using your DirecTV remote press red red, blue blue, yellow green. Message will appear saying NVRAM/FLASH is cleared. Should speed up your receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   twotonetommy

twotonetommy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Thanks but I should have mentioned that I have tried this already.  This wouldn't affect the power issue or stutter, it would help with the menus.

TwoToneTommy

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

When you say you ran a test on the hard drive,

was it the one in the menu,

or was it the one found on here called the BIST ?

Go here and see post #2 : http://www.dbstalk.c...-1#entry3137047

Are your satellite signal strengths all good ? If they are it sounds like a Hard Drive going bad to me.

Edited by jimmie57, 05 July 2013 - 08:37 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,785 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

Since you said the hard drive came with erros, I would replace the HDDVR.  Hard drive with errors is an indication of failing, and typically hard drive do not get better over time

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   twotonetommy

twotonetommy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Are your satellite signal strengths all good ? If they are it sounds like a Hard Drive going bad to me.

I tried both tests and the error came up when I did the basic test under "Settings & Help" - "Settings" - "Info and Test"

TwoToneTommy

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,635 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Just about what I'd expect from a 22-100.  Whether he wants to keep it or not, he'd be much better off with any of the 24s.  

Rich 

#8 OFFLINE   twotonetommy

twotonetommy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Update - I put a 2Tb Seagate Barracuda  drive in on Saturday and everything is back to normal.   All problems have vanished and my PVR has never been quicker.    I just wanted to share this with those who have similar problems. 

The original hard drive was a Western Digital 500 mb Green drive.   Now I have four times the space.   Love it.

The swap took me about 20 minutes to do since I carefully removed things as I went.   Very easy to do.

TwoToneTommy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...