Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bar hook up

hdmi in

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tims1111

tims1111

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

I have a bar with two directv boxes that can be accessed by the numerous tvs in the bar. I want to be able to hook up a DVD player (HDMI) or have a hdmi from the DJ to that directv system so I can have whatever tvs watching the dvd or music videos being played. I don't care if I loose one boxes signal as long as I can have some tvs watching a game and some with the dvd player or DJ. Any ideas on how can I hook this up?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

This will have to be hooked up AFTER the DirecTV receivers. Assuming you are using the HDMI out of the receiver to some type of distribution system you just need an HDMI switch. Input A from the receiver, input B from the DVD player and the output to the distribution system
My Setup

#3 ONLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

Without knowing how you have the two DTV boxes hooked up to the TVs its hard to answer that. Why only two DTV boxes, doesn't that really limit what you can show? Or are these in additional to cable TV for channels that aren't available on your local cable TV system?

I would strongly encourage you to check on the legality of playing DVDs in your bar. The rules for what you can play in a public place are very different than the rules for what you can do at home. There isn't any equivalent of ASCAP/BMI/SESAC for movies and TV shows, so as far as I know there isn't anyone to pay and do this legally like with music. I have heard of places getting in big trouble for playing DVDs just like what you want to. This is true even if the movie is a few years old and already getting shown on free broadcast TV. The rules are dumb, but the copyright owners have the law on their side and there is pretty much 100% chance you'd lose such a lawsuit.

I have no idea where music videos fall here, I would assume your music licensing covers that, but I'd check with ASCAP etc. first just to be sure.

Of course, this is all dependent on someone finding out you're doing this, so you might get away with it for years before anyone notices. I don't know how much the MPAA polices this, but is it worth losing sleep over just to show some DVDs? It is like bar owners using receivers from home to show Sunday Ticket and save thousands of dollars. I'm sure it seems like a great idea until they get sued for everything they own and not only lose their business, but have to declare personal bankruptcy. Given the way the MPAA goes after movie pirates, they are probably more likely to treat people like Directv and the NFL do rather than just get them licensed and forgive the past like ASCAP and friends do.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have seen karaoke machines (and presumably the purpose made music for that format is ASCAP blessed, if it isn't I would love to somehow invest in that class action lawsuit!!) ) just connected to every TV in a facility via an ordinary modulator set to operate on either an open segment of bandwidth, or in a section of bandwidth that has been cleared out with a channel deletion filter.  And this would be a coax based system, of course. 

If the OP system is distributed via HDMI around the building the switch idea above is the way to go.

Don't know if anyone has tried the Iogear (or however they spell it) to distribute signals, would be interesting to see how well that works!!

Edited by gov, 05 July 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

It is never safe to assume that any outside produced content is safe from various and sundry public viewing protections. Organizations get away with it regularly, but that has never proven to be a compelling legal argument when your butt is in the defendant's seat.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   tims1111

tims1111

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

The DVD will be to put bar specials and up coming events. I also I want to use it for training purposes and show training videos to the team in the back. Ascap guy said my licence does cover anything the DJ will be playing and he is a legit DJ from the Chicago station and training tapes used for training are also ok if I am showing them to my employees are far as bar specials and up coming events that's also no big deal. Movies however are illegal. Now for my hook up now it is coax from the directv to some little spliter (two dirctv out to one directv out )  then 1 coax to each tv.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

It sounds like you'll need a modulator for the DVD player and a splitter used backwards to put the two signals on the coax. Anything else would involve new runs of cable. Introducing HDMI is probably not something you'll be able to pull off without a complete re-engineering of the setup to go to HD.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

You might need one of this

http://www.rakuten.c...tingId=88321556

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 ONLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

You might need one of this

http://www.rakuten.c...tingId=88321556

8 inputs to 2 outputs? No, that is not what he needs at all.

For signage and training videos on DVD, a modulated signal as harsh describes would work just fine, work over the coax he already has in place, and a good modulator is only $30 or so.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

8 inputs to 2 outputs? No, that is not what he needs at all.

For signage and training videos on DVD, a modulated signal as harsh describes would work just fine, work over the coax he already has in place, and a good modulator is only $30 or so.

Well the MOD takes care of ONLY the DVD,  about the DirecTV receivers.  and the OP mentioned HDMI

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 ONLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Well, he already has the Directv receivers connected via coax. From his description sounds like he's probably got a pair of SD receivers, and one is configured for channel 3 and the other for channel 4, which he has going into a backwards two way splitter and then split out to each of his TVs. Adding a DVD player could be easily and cheaply done with a modulator that would work on some channel other than 3 or 4 and merged in with his Directv signals using another (or bigger) backwards splitter.

If he has his heart set on using HDMI from the DVD player for some reason then the device you linked doesn't really seem like the best solution for him since 8 inputs is kind of overkill and you can buy ones with fewer inputs for far less money:

http://www.rakuten.c.../222669413.html

Then he could add a bunch of HDMI splitters as necessary to the number of TVs he has:

http://www.rakuten.c.../223272722.html

Of course, he's left with the problem of getting HDMI from there to his TVs. If the runs are short, no problem, but if they're long the cables quickly become pretty expensive or worst case you need to use HDMI extenders over cat5 which will quickly get the price into multiple thousands of dollars.

#12 OFFLINE   tims1111

tims1111

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hi guys, Slice is correct with the setup I have now.  A pair of SD receivers, and one is configured for channel 3 and the other for channel 4, which he has going into a backwards two way splitter and then split out to each of his TVs. The DJ/VJ company has HDMI out from the computer system and uses music videos pics and other stuff on the screen. That is the main reason I need HDMI. The DVD players also has only HDMI out, but that's no big deal since we will not be using the dvd player when the DJ/VJ is here and I can swap the plugs when I want to run one or the other. So basically I need 1 HDMI to coax some how and then get that signal on another channel and added to the tvs some how. I am having a hard time figuring this out. So I appreciate any help.  

#13 ONLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

HDMI modulators are NOT cheap, because there isn't much demand to convert HDMI to lower quality SD video. Here's an example of one that sells for around $600:

http://www.summitsou...15-p-11638.html

The above would do what you want however, and if you replaced that two way splitter with a 3 way splitter you could feed the output of one of the above devices using another channel to your existing setup. The content would display in SD not HD but it sounds like you don't want HDMI for the quality but because that's what the DVD player and DJ setup outputs. It would be much less expensive to buy a new DVD player for $30 that has a composite output or S-video output, which can be converted to run over coax via a typical $30-$40 RF modulator. The DVD player you have now is probably a Blu Ray player if it only has HDMI output, and unless your training videos are shot in HD and need to be displayed in HD there's really no reason you need the extra quality. As for the DJ company, I'd ask them if they could provide you a solution that would output composite video or RF, it would be cheaper to put the onus on them to provide you with a way to output a modulated signal than to buy equipment to convert HDMI to RF yourself. But perhaps you're willing to spend the $600 to just get it done with minimal hassle.

Otherwise if you want to output HD quality to your TVs you'll need to look at a solution involving a device like the above, plus multiple HDMI splitters like those in my previous post, plus cables/extenders as needed for the distance to your TVs, which depending on the number of TVs and their distance could run into the thousands of dollars. This is probably going beyond the DIY area unless you really know what you're doing, so you'll have to pay someone to plan and install this which will add even more to the bill.

I certainly wouldn't give a damn about HD quality for DJ music videos, signage and training videos when you're still running your Directv in SD. If you want to convert to HD, run everything to HD, and use something like the matrix switch in my previous post to switch between the various HD inputs. But if you do so have it done professionally instead of trying to do it yourself - if you're asking these questions in this forum this task is probably a bit too much for you unless you have a lot of time to devote to research the pros/cons of various options and getting everything properly planned.

Edited by slice1900, 08 July 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

lot's of bars use Component systems. There are dvd players with Component out.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 08 July 2013 - 09:10 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#15 ONLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

If he already had component cabling run it would be a good option, but it sounds like right now all he's got is coax. There's no reason I can think of why you'd choose component over HDMI for a new install.

#16 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

If he already had component cabling run it would be a good option, but it sounds like right now all he's got is coax. There's no reason I can think of why you'd choose component over HDMI for a new install.

component switchers cost a lot less then HDMI ones.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#17 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 705 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Maybe this would work, along with a modulator to put the DVD Player/DJ's Computer into the mix

Link to HDMI to Composite Convertor

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

spam firewall