Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BBC to put 3D production on hold following unsuccessful two-year pilot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,477 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

BBC to put 3D production on hold following unsuccessful two-year pilot

Just how popular is 3D broadcast content? Not even a tiny bit, if the BBC's latest decision is any indication. Following an announcement that Wimbledon matches would be available in 3D, Britain's top broadcaster has vowed to take a three-year hiatus from producing 3D video. 

In an interview with Radio Times, Kim Shillinglaw, who heads up the British Broadcasting Corporation's pilot program, cited the cumbersome process consumers face when gearing up to view three-dimensional footage. She'll focus on her secondary position as head of science and natural history during the organization's three-year embargo. 

A Doctor Who anniversary episode will be the BBC's final 3D program for the year, giving early adopting Brits one last opportunity to slide on their glasses before retiring them to the "junk drawer" until 3D's resounding resurgence.

3dbbc.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Not all that surprising to me...  Surprised in some ways that the BBC hadn't cut that budget sooner.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

I like 3D, my wife doesn't.  Guess who wins? 

It's only tv!

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,292 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

3dbbc.jpg

That shot looks like it is from a 2D Austin Powers hallucination. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,477 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

That shot looks like it is from a 2D Austin Powers hallucination. :)

:eek2:

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

And for fans that want to watch this Doctor Who anniversary episode on Nov 25th, Fathom Events is broadcasting it in 3D in select theaters around the country.

http://www.fathomeve...y-of-the-doctor

spam firewall