Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ethernet out from DVR

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Can anyone tell me how to set up my DVR's so that I have a working ethernet signal coming out from the DVR? I had an HR22 that did this when I had it hooked up for the DECA signal, but my new HR-24 & HR-34 do not seem to allow me a working internet signal off from the DVR. Is there a better way to do this since I have the DECA hooked up thoughout my RG-6 cables in the house. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Receivers (including DVRs) should not be used as switches/hubs.

The HR34 and HR44 are the exceptions to this rule-of-thumb as they have both the DECA and Ethernet functionality active simultaneously.

Connecting Ethernet cables to any H®2x series box will disable the DECA connection (until rebooted without the Ethernet connection IIRC).

Edited by harsh, 05 July 2013 - 01:45 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

So I could use my HR-34 as an Ethernet out point and connect it to a hub adapter?

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

So I could use my HR-34 as an Ethernet out point and connect it to a hub adapter?

Please refer to the first sentence in my original reply.

The RJ45 port on the HR34 was probably intended as a replacement for Cinema Connection Kit. Putting your home Internet traffic on the DECA LAN was not what they had in mind.

It may work, but it wasn't designed for that purpose. Whatever you do, NEVER, EVER use a hub. Hubs are eeeeeeevilllle and should have been replaced by switches years ago (even in networks with only two nodes).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hold on. What exactly are you trying to do an how exactly is your system wired now? Are you connected to the Internet?

#6 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Using the Ethernet out on the older DVRs that supported it was never a good idea a it stole clock cycles from the DVR function - there was no dedicated switch circuit.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#7 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

I'm trying to get an internet connection down to my other TV area. I have the whole home DVR and DECA with internet hooked up;

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

The Ethernet ports on the HR's were never designed to feed connectivity to another device.  The ports on the HR24 in fact are inactive when DECA is hooked up.  The ports on the HR34/HR44 are only use to provide a bridge to the Internet for a DECA network.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,616 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'm trying to get an internet connection down to my other TV area. I have the whole home DVR and DECA with internet hooked up;

Run a cable from your router

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

Can anyone tell me how to set up my DVR's so that I have a working ethernet signal coming out from the DVR? I had an HR22 that did this when I had it hooked up for the DECA signal, but my new HR-24 & HR-34 do not seem to allow me a working internet signal off from the DVR. Is there a better way to do this since I have the DECA hooked up thoughout my RG-6 cables in the house. Thanks!

Since the DECAs are internal on both your DVRs, your best way is to split the satellite coax input to the DVR in the area you want an ethernet outlet available with a 2x1 "green label" SWiM splitter. Then connect one output of the splitter with a coax patch to the DVR's satellite input and the other by coax patch to a wired CCK such as the one here on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f26888eef

Then connect the ethernet output of the CCK to whatever ethernet device you wish to connect.

This is all assuming of course your DECA cloud is connected to the internet with a CCK to begin with. :)      

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Since the DECAs are internal on both your DVRs, your best way is to split the satellite coax input to the DVR in the area you want an ethernet outlet available with a 2x1 "green label" SWiM splitter. Then connect one output of the splitter with a coax patch to the DVR's satellite input and the other by coax patch to a wired CCK such as the one here on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f26888eef

Then connect the ethernet output of the CCK to whatever ethernet device you wish to connect.

This is all assuming of course your DECA cloud is connected to the internet with a CCK to begin with. :)      

That will work, although it should just be pointed out that it is not a supported setup by DirecTV. That being said, many people have that setup without issue. The one caveat is that if you are putting other traffic into the DECA cloud there is a chance that it will affect MRV functionality.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Please refer to the first sentence in my original reply.

The RJ45 port on the HR34 was probably intended as a replacement for Cinema Connection Kit. Putting your home Internet traffic on the DECA LAN was not what they had in mind.

It may work, but it wasn't designed for that purpose. Whatever you do, NEVER, EVER use a hub. Hubs are eeeeeeevilllle and should have been replaced by switches years ago (even in networks with only two nodes).

The Ethernet ports on the HR's were never designed to feed connectivity to another device.  The ports on the HR24 in fact are inactive when DECA is hooked up.  The ports on the HR34/HR44 are only use to provide a bridge to the Internet for a DECA network.

So I should disconnect my LG Smart TV from my HR34?  It feeds the net to the tv and I have not had any MRV issues with the C31.  

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

So I should disconnect my LG Smart TV from my HR34?  It feeds the net to the tv and I have not had any MRV issues with the C31.  

If it actually works and it's not hurting anything then go for it.  It's just not supported and may or may not always work. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

So does this work or not?

and What doesn't work about it?

Not supported , just means Directv didn't think of it LOL!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

So does this work or not?

and What doesn't work about it?

Not supported , just means Directv didn't think of it LOL!

It may or may not work.  Read around and you'll see people who have made it work and others you haven't.  YMMV

No, not supported means it may work now and then not work after an update. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

It may or may not work.  Read around and you'll see people who have made it work and others you haven't.  YMMV

No, not supported means it may work now and then not work after an update. 

I'm not so sure the Ethernet port has anything to do with software? Does it?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm not so sure the Ethernet port has anything to do with software? Does it?

The information that is allowed, or not allowed, to pass through it can be changed via the software.  If they wanted to DirecTV could take the driver for the Ethernet jack out of the firmware even.  Yes, it has everything to do with the software.  Without the software it's just a piece of hardware, just like any other piece of hardware out there.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

The information that is allowed, or not allowed, to pass through it can be changed via the software.  If they wanted to DirecTV could take the driver for the Ethernet jack out of the firmware even.  Yes, it has everything to do with the software.  Without the software it's just a piece of hardware, just like any other piece of hardware out there.

Hey, don't give DIRECTV any ideas, :)

Since the Genie's internal CCK bridge has never been an officially acknowledged feature, they can decide to remove it at any time by eliminating the driver or some other for it as you say.

Like they're about to do with the Genie's OTA scanning capability? (hint hint). :(

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#19 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Or connect it to an ethernet switch if you have more than one device you wish to connect to the internet.  I have my Roku box connected this way (I prefer a wired connection) as well as an HR24 that's not on my DECA cloud (my SWM8 was filled up and this HR24 is fed from my pre-SWM8 WB68) but wanted it to be part of my WHDVR set-up. 

This unsupported set-up has been working fine for well over a year.  I have another CCK in another room where I had a spare coaxial cable (again, from pre-SWM8) but no ethernet and use it to get my streaming Blu-ray player (no wireless) internet access by connecting the other end of that coax to the 8-way splitter near my SWM8 (and WB68).  All working without issue for me....YMMV.

Vin

#20 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Can a GenieGo use the Ethernet adapter on a HR34?

spam firewall