Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR23 vs HR34 vs HR44

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dbpiv

dbpiv

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I wanted to say thanks to all who have commented on this.  Still no decision on the Return to Sender as described by D* when I ordered the setup.  

The Optical Output is something I do use, but I think I could get around that using the existing tv and receiver.  The processor speed has me questioning the move.  I am hesitant to jump on a two year contract with something that could be faster if I waited a bit longer.

I do appreciate all the work people do on this site, it is very informative and well received (especially by those of us who just read the forums).  

dp

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Read the first look - they claim the 44 is the best thing ever!

Just as they did with the 23-700.  Look how that worked out.

Rich

• damondlt likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

See Laxguy's post above mine......  I've never seen an HR44 but I'm hoping it is closer to what the first looks claims than when Laxguy says 'I have used  both, and the 44 does not run circles around anything; it's a tad faster, but you will love the '34'

'A tad faster' isn't exactly the glowing review the first look gives.

Knowing Laxguy, that's probably the most truthful answer you'll get.  

Rich

• damondlt likes this

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

I wanted to say thanks to all who have commented on this.  Still no decision on the Return to Sender as described by D* when I ordered the setup.  

The Optical Output is something I do use, but I think I could get around that using the existing tv and receiver.  The processor speed has me questioning the move.  I am hesitant to jump on a two year contract with something that could be faster if I waited a bit longer.

I do appreciate all the work people do on this site, it is very informative and well received (especially by those of us who just read the forums).  

dp

If your gut tells you to do something, I'd do it.  You'll probably be happier with the 44 and the wait might be worth it.  

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,943 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Just as they did with the 23-700.  Look how that worked out.

Rich

:rotfl:  Yea that receiver is beyond words!

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#26 OFFLINE   dbpiv

dbpiv

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

So I thought it would be useful for a followup....

And as Paul Harvey said, "and now for the rest of the story"

I stared at the boxes that Directv delivered the HR34 and two C31s in (three total boxes) for way too long.  I never truly was at peace with a decision to open or send back the devices.  So after much hemming and hawing I opened the boxes and installed the new equipment.  

Obviously I am jaded as anyone using a HR23 which was slow as Christmas.  The HR34 by comparison is a much better device than I had in the HR23.  Speed is a huge improvement in the new box, it really just doesn't compare.  I know by comparison the HR44 is faster but from what I was using the HR34 is a breath of fresh air.  

So you all can rest assured that I have happily taken one for the team and there is one less HR34 in the warehouse.

dp

• Laxguy likes this

#27 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,863 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

They both play a 60 minute program in 60 minutes(no skipping). . . the time in the menu, guide or playlist that you spend will not be reduced by the 44 as much as you've improved that time over the 23.

Enjoy your new 34 and minis!!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

spam firewall