Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Got a Free HD DVR

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

I was doing some poking around today on Directv .com and decided just for fun see what Directv would charge me to upgrade one of my H25s to a C31. 

So I clicked on the link that shows the info on the Client, and it said $99 crossed out and Free under it.  So then I said well just for Sh$%s and giggles lets see what the HD DVRs are going for . " I figured $99"  Nope! $199 crossed out and it said Free. :eek2:  

So I jumped all over that, Added it to cart shipping and Tax came to $21 and change .

Hope I get HR24, but will be happy with any really since it was free. And I'm not a fan of the Clients so this is a win win for me.

07/05/13

$21.15

Drop Ship Completed Item Description Price Quantity Total HD DVR Free 1

Free Regional Sports Fee Free 1

Free HD-DVR Receiver Condition Free 1

Free Delivery and Handling - $19.95

Tax $1.20 Order Total $21.15

I don't know what Happened , but My free upgrade wasn't until December 13th.

All it said in Recent Activity was this

07/05/2013 XXXXXXXX4914 Keep Valued Customer - Charge $0.00 $0.00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

One other Question , the HR21,22, need Deca II for Whole home correct?

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Yep, they will need an external DECA, HR23 will need one too.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#4 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Yep, they will need an external DECA, HR23 will need one too.

OK thought so . Yea my HR23 has one. I will order one from Ebay after I see what comes, they are going for less then $20 shipped. Solid signal wants $50, Screw that LOL!

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

If you don't get one with your new DVR, call DirecTV and ask. I believe they will ship you one for free.

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

If you don't get one with your new DVR, call DirecTV and ask. I believe they will ship you one for free.

Will do. Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

I did the same thing a few weeks ago, but I had Direct come out and do the install. He brought out a HR24 with him, but while he was here he noticed my signals were slightly low, so he changed out the LNB. So really I got a 2 for 1 in my eyes.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

• damondlt likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

It would be awesome if they 'automated' more free or low-cost upgrades like this for us valued customers.  I had to call retention to get my new stuff free after a regular rep offered me $299 for a Genie upgrade.

Congrats on your upgrades!!!

Edited by Starrbuck, 06 July 2013 - 07:17 AM.

*** DirecTV customer since 2004 ***

HR44-700 (2TB) + AM-21 -> Panasonic TC-PST60 Series 60" Plasma

HR24-500 (2TB) -> Samsung 6000 Series 55" LED

C41-700 & C41-500

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

It would be awesome if they 'automated' more free or low-cost upgrades like this for us valued customers.  I had to call retention to get my new stuff free after a regular rep offered me $299 for a Genie upgrade.

Congrats on your upgrades!!!

Yea this was a nice surprise , I didn't even have to speak to a CSR.
But I will have to when I deactivate my H25.
  • Starrbuck likes this

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

LOL, had a service call from a lady last week, her H2X in the master bedroom would not pickup the whole home, which was working fine everywhere else in her home.  An 'official' DirecTV had done the whole home upgrade a month ago.  He noted at the time the list was not coming up in the bedroom box, but felt it would sort itself out in less than a day.

Guess what I found ?!?!?

Yep, he had forgotten the DECA.  I have several in the truck and had it working pronto.   The bedroom TV has quite a bit of extra equipment on it, a Bose sound system, VCR, DVD, TV used as a monitor for the PC, and the cabinet is full to the gills.  I'm sure he just missed noticing the lack of a DECA.

I've had installers give me several DECAs, and since I was in and out in minutes (and she has been generous with cookies and cake on prior visits) I no-billed her.

Another happy customer.

The DECA is an easy thing to overlook, glad to hear they are cheap on EBay, and (frequently) free at D* if I run out of my stock of them.

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yea got my HD DVR and its HR24-500. Awesome! :righton:

#12 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Ok, all activated and it works fantastic. The remote response is great and very quick on command. The PQ seems to be slightly better then the H25 for some reason. Seems to have a better contrast even using the same HDMI cable and plug that the H25 was hooked to. 

They gave me a number of wires ,Composite ,component, HDMI and Phone cable.  But of course the HDMI cable was bad.  But I have many so that was no problem.
 The HR 24 is fast.  Faster then the HR34 for sure! 
But we'll see once it starts getting filled up with recordings, that may change the outcome.
Very happy so far.

But I do have one question.

How do you make the H25 record default to the Hr34, Is it possible? or do you have to manually do it all the time?

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Nothing is "free".  You just agreed to another 2 years with DirecTV meaning they will make lots and lots of money from your account whether you cancel or not.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...