Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Running receiver self-check... HR24-100

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

I have an HR24-100 that is stuck at "Running receiver self-check...".  I've red button reset several times.  The first symptoms of the failure were oddities when playing a recording such as stopping while playing the recording, then starting up where it had been stopped, then playing normally for a while and then stopping again and then starting up where it had been stopped.  The last error was stopping in the middle of a different recording, and staying frozen at that spot and refusing to accept any remote control commands.

Can I bring it back to life somehow?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

It is most likely 'done'.

Sorry.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you. 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

I  called and with less hassle than I thought a replacement receiver is on the way.   The receiver being replaced is an HR24-100.  I asked the rep if I would be getting an HR-24 replacement, he said yes, we replace like with like.

The rep went over a series of info and requirements, and one thing he said surprised me.  He said if my old receiver is not requested to be returned to hang on to it for a while, "just in case".   I asked the rep if there was any chance that DTv would not want my old HR24-100 to be returned and he said yes there was a small chance of that happening.  Why wouldn't DTv want all leased HR24's to be returned when they've been replaced?

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,347 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

They will.  But sometimes I think their system screws up and ends up not asking for it back, but that's a mistake rather than the expected I believe for any hr24s.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it any other way, considering how poor their return system seems to be in the first place.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

They WILL want your defective HR24 back.  Hold on to it until you get the return kit.  If you dont get one, call again because you will get charge a NRF.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

They will.  But sometimes I think their system screws up and ends up not asking for it back, but that's a mistake rather than the expected I believe for any hr24s.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it any other way, considering how poor their return system seems to be in the first place.

I'm sitting here knocking on wood before I type this, but I've never had one problem returning an HR.  Or a TiVo, or an Ultimate TV DVR.  I don't know how many that would be in total, but it would be well over a hundred.  Not one was lost, every one made it to its destination.  Never once have I seen a non-return charge on my account.  I've had HRs that sat on a shelf for over 6 months awaiting recovery kits and have never been charged.  Just my experience.  Positive experience, for a change.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,626 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

While you're in limbo, why not run the diagnostics and repair for the HDD? You may be able to salvage your recordings once the bad sectors are mapped out. 

Good luck!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

While you're in limbo, why not run the diagnostics and repair for the HDD? You may be able to salvage your recordings once the bad sectors are mapped out. 

Good luck!

Just for future reference, how do you do this?

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

I have an HR24-100 that is stuck at "Running receiver self-check...".  I've red button reset several times.  The first symptoms of the failure were oddities when playing a recording such as stopping while playing the recording, then starting up where it had been stopped, then playing normally for a while and then stopping again and then starting up where it had been stopped.  The last error was stopping in the middle of a different recording, and staying frozen at that spot and refusing to accept any remote control commands.

Can I bring it back to life somehow?

I actually had this happen with a 24-100 yesterday.  Watched it reboot and it got stuck.  It has a 2TB drive in a dock on it and that's the first time I've had this problem.  Had to disconnect both devices, wait a couple minutes and go thru the boot up process and it worked.  Usually, this setup doesn't require pulling the power cords from both devices and rebooting.  But it works now.  Realize nothing in this post will solve your problem, just thought you'd like to know you're not alone.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

I feel a message from Mr. Smith is about to appear.  Have fun.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

I found this in some older threads.

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive.
Do this:
Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
When you see a message Run receiver self-check,
press select
You will see the message Entering Diagnostics Mode
Select Advanced Tests Menu,
Hard Drive Utilities,
Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
If those tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could
take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.
The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is
less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more
stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard disc drive.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,626 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

What jimmie said! :).

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Thanks guys!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

How long between Entering Diagnostics Mode and Select Advanced Tests Menu?  I'm at about 15 minutes with no change.

#16 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

I knew asking about it would cause the receiver's menu to come up.  I went down to check it after posting and the menu had appeared.  I passed the short test and the file system test was at 99% for about 5 minutes.  I'll do the surface test next.

Whatever happens, I'll probably be doing the hard drive replacement/upgrade.  The results of the test will just tell me whether it is this weekend or later. 

#17 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

I  called and with less hassle than I thought a replacement receiver is on the way.   The receiver being replaced is an HR24-100.  I asked the rep if I would be getting an HR-24 replacement, he said yes, we replace like with like.

That may be true if one is drop shipped but, as i found out the hard way, I had a HR44 that i found dead the next morning after a heavy thunderstorm.. I called in and the rep insisted that i have a tech come out to check everything over since we did have a heavy storm. When the tech arrived he had a HR34 with him to replace it.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

I feel a message from Mr. Smith is about to appear.  Have fun.

Rich

Booh ! :D

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

That may be true if one is drop shipped but, as i found out the hard way, I had a HR44 that i found dead the next morning after a heavy thunderstorm.. I called in and the rep insisted that i have a tech come out to check everything over since we did have a heavy storm. When the tech arrived he had a HR34 with him to replace it.

D* considers the two Genies equal.  Just as they considered the 20-700s and the 21 Series of HRs to be equal.  Or "functionally equivalent" as they, so ambiguously, put it.

Rich 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...