Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive Third Look: HR44-200 Genie Server

Genie Server Client HR34 HR44 DIRECTV 5 Tuner First Look

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Nope, I keep looking at my 58" 720p Panny plasma that cost me ~ $2,500 and I'll never pay over 2 grand for another TV. Made that mistake once and learned from it (altho my heart filled with lust when I read the Crutchfield write up on the Sammy 4K sets).

Rich

I agree. I have 2) 42" Panny plasma TVs. First one I bought was in 2006 and cost me $2300 after a $1k plus drop and finally wanted a plasma. 2 years ago I ought eh same TV but a newer model for $529!

Looking to get a new tv in the 55-60" range. But it has to be energy efficient, 1080p, 240hz or faster for sports, no 3D and under $1000. Plasma preferred, but LED and OLED will work when their blacks and refresh rates for sports improve.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

They also made the worst SD TiVos and cheated many people by using capacitors that were out of spec in their TVs.  Let's not forget about that.  Hopefully all that is behind them.

Rich

I was going to bring up their TV track record, You beat me to it!

I just can not bring myself to trust their TV division based on past performance.

Cheers

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

I was going to bring up their TV track record, You beat me to it!

I just can not bring myself to trust their TV division based on past performance.

Cheers

I really didn't mean to go off topic, sorry.

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,903 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have a 6 year old Samsung 720p Plasma TV (1024x768 retangular pixels) that still looks great today.  I guess like anything it's luck of the draw.

If it breaks well yeah that sucks but my credit card company will love me for charging a newer, bigger, better TV on it.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#25 OFFLINE   TheJackal

TheJackal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

HR44 form factor is smaller than an HR22, correct?

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Absolutely. It's their smallest DVR. The first first look has a comparison. HR22 is HR20 size.

http://www.hr20.dbst... First Look.pdf

As for Samsung and capacitors, wasn't that at the time of the capacitor plague that affected many companies?

#27 OFFLINE   Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Samsung once had the title of 'Samsuck' and it was well earned. However, in the past few years, they've turned this company around. They actually make pretty reliable prducts, now. Better than Sony, IMO.

• spec1alk likes this

#28 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Great pics. I just ordered a directv install for next weekend, tired of Dish disputes, so Im coming back. I had the HR34 from release, like the size of the HR44 plus it seems its faster. One question, what in the world is that copper tubing thingy? Is it liquid cooled :)

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#29 OFFLINE   spec1alk

spec1alk

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

Sorry to revive an old topic, but what is the only difference in the last 3 digits of the model (HR44-XXX) the manufacturer? Are there any other differences?

I just had DTV installed and received the HR44-200.

My first impression is mixed. I came from Dish and there are some things I miss. The new remote is too thick and the button placement is strange. It doesn't have a PIP on/off command that I can find. I am not as enamored with the speed as others. Mine still feels a bit sluggish at times. Changing channels has a longer delay than I was accustomed too and is very annoying.

#30 OFFLINE   spec1alk

spec1alk

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Great pics. I just ordered a directv install for next weekend, tired of Dish disputes, so Im coming back. I had the HR34 from release, like the size of the HR44 plus it seems its faster. One question, what in the world is that copper tubing thingy? Is it liquid cooled :)

The copper tube is a heat pipe for transferring heat away from the processor. No liquid. The idea is that the copper conducts the heat efficiently from the processor over to a heat sink. By doing this, you have more flexibility in the design, namely that you can make it thinner. They started doing this with laptops and high-end video cards several years ago.

#31 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

Sorry to revive an old topic, but what is the only difference in the last 3 digits of the model (HR44-XXX) the manufacturer? Are there any other differences?

My first impression is mixed. I came from Dish and there are some things I miss. The new remote is too thick and the button placement is strange. It doesn't have a PIP on/off command that I can find. I am not as enamored with the speed as others. Mine still feels a bit sluggish at times. Changing channels has a longer delay than I was accustomed too and is very annoying.

Yes, the remote is not a favorite with a lot of high-end folks. The good news is that you can use a universal or one of many smartphone-based control apps (including DIRECTV's free choice.) None have a PIP button, that's a choice DIRECTV made that's not likely to change for whatever reason.

Insofar as speed is concerned, I'm surprised to see you're getting worse performance than you had before with DISH (unless you only had SD service with them.) Comparing the HR44 to Dish's 722 I find the HR44 has much better performance; comparing it to Hopper I see it overall being the same, a little faster.
I will say with any DVR it does seem to take a few days to settle in. If you're still having really slow channel changes, the installer may have done a less-than-perfect job with aiming or the power inserter to the dish may be on the weak side.

The other tip, I just thought of, is make sure you press the {ENTER} button (not {SELECT}, {ENTER}) after typing the channel number and the channel change will be 1-2 seconds faster.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#32 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Based on the questions that you asked in your other post, I believe that the channel change delay that you are experiencing is due to a slow HDMI handshake when the picture resolution is being changed.  Try changing your available resolutions to your TV's native display resolution and turning "Native" off on the DVR.  I think that should take care of the delay that you are experiencing.

Often this delay is caused by an intermediate component, such as an AVR, rather than the TV.  If you don't want to turn off the Native resolution feature on your DVR, another option is to connect your HR44 with your AVR via optical or coax digital audio and connect the HDMI directly to the TV.  You won't lose any sound quality because DirecTV uses Dolby Digital which can be transported via coax or optical at the same quality as it's transported via HDMI.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, Server, Client, HR34, HR44, DIRECTV, 5 Tuner, First Look

Protected By... spam firewall...And...