Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

remote code for RC71 (with HR44) and Sony HT-CT60 sound bar

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Does anyone know a remote code that with work on the RC71 remote (for the HR44) with the Sony HT-CT60 sound bar in the RF mode? I have found several of the codes that will allow the RC71 to control volume from the sound bar, but none of them allow the power buttons to turn the power to the sound bar on and off.  Also, if I use the older RC65RX remotes, I can find codes that will allow those remotes to control volume and power, but those remotes can only be used in IR mode with the HR44. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

I thought I read that the 71 would use the same codes as the 65.

I assume you tried the same codes that worked in the 65 on the 71 ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

I thought I read that the 71 would use the same codes as the 65.

I assume you tried the same codes that worked in the 65 on the 71 ?

The format for setting a code for the RC71 is quite different from the format for entering codes for the RC65RX.  With the RC65RX, which only works in IR mode with the HR44, you are given a list of possible codes for the manufacturer of the audio equipment, and you manually enter the code numbers until you hit the right one.  With the RC71, there are a couple of ways to set a code.  You can select the manufacturer and model number of the audio equipment, and an unnamed/unnumbered code gets entered.  Or, you can keep trying various unnamed codes (in this case only numbered from 1-98) for the manufacturer until you hit the right one.  In this case, the Sony HT-CT60 is not listed as a possible equipment choice, and none of the 98 unnamed codes works either.  I did try manually entering the number of the code for the RC65RX into the RC71, but it would not even allow me to enter it. 

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

The format for setting a code for the RC71 is quite different from the format for entering codes for the RC65RX.  With the RC65RX, which only works in IR mode with the HR44, you are given a list of possible codes for the manufacturer of the audio equipment, and you manually enter the code numbers until you hit the right one.  With the RC71, there are a couple of ways to set a code.  You can select the manufacturer and model number of the audio equipment, and an unnamed/unnumbered code gets entered.  Or, you can keep trying various unnamed codes (in this case only numbered from 1-98) for the manufacturer until you hit the right one.  In this case, the Sony HT-CT60 is not listed as a possible equipment choice, and none of the 98 unnamed codes works either.  I did try manually entering the number of the code for the RC65RX into the RC71, but it would not even allow me to enter it. 

I think that you have to point the remote away from the DTV receiver so it does not talk to it and then you can enter the code.

There is a thread on here about remote control problems.

There is a guy on there that is an expert. His name is Edmund.

I will look to see what I can find.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

I think that you have to point the remote away from the DTV receiver so it does not talk to it and then you can enter the code.

There is a thread on here about remote control problems.

There is a guy on there that is an expert. His name is Edmund.

I will look to see what I can find.

Okay.  I just tried to manually enter the code from the RC65RX into the RC71 while not having the RC71 pointed toward the unit.  I think that it did successfully enter the code, however, just like with the codes that I've already tried, it will allow me to use the RC71 to change the volume, but it will not allow me to power the sound bar on and off with the RC71. 

Practically speaking, my guess is that it doesn't make much difference because I think that I can just leave the sound bar powered up all the time, and I suspect that, unless sound is actually being processed through it, there is virtually no power actually being used.  Still, there is something that makes me feel like I need to make it work right.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. 

#6 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

RC71 will not turn on or off any sound equipment. Some of the codes are the same but many are not.

#7 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

RC71 will not turn on or off any sound equipment. Some of the codes are the same but many are not.

Thanks.  I was starting to suspect that this was the case.  With the RC65RX and other similar remotes, turning audio equipment on and off is possible only after moving the slider switch at the top of the remote to the appropriate position, and since the RC71 doesn't even have such a slider switch, it would make sense that it would only be able to control power to the DIRECTV box and to the TV, which is what the other remotes do when the slider is in the DIRECTV position. 

What made me think that there was a possibility that it should be able to turn the power to audio equipment on and off is that the on-screen instructions tell you to determine whether or not you have entered the proper code by checking to see if the power buttons are working to turn the power to the audio equipment on and off.  Obviously, those on-screen instructions were written by someone who was not actually using an RC71 at the time. 

Also, I do fully understand that my original post is an excellent example of a "first world problem", and things must be pretty good if I have time even to attempt to solve such a problem. 

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

The RC71 is anything but "universal" remote control.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   PitchSucceed

PitchSucceed

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

I have found several of the codes that will allow the RC71 to control volume from the sound bar

Lesz, would you mind sharing those codes? I have the same sound bar and I've tried the following codes 

but I can't even get the volume to work from the RC71.

#10 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

Lesz, would you mind sharing those codes? I have the same sound bar and I've tried the following codes 

but I can't even get the volume to work from the RC71.

I found two ways to get the RC71 to be able to control volume successfully with the sound bar.  The easiest and most straight forward way was to follow the on-screen prompts with the RC71 set for RF.  Click on "program remote", then "change audio device", then "Sony".  Then, type in "HTCT60", which will not show up, but HTCT100, HTCT350, and several others will show up.  Any of the HTCTxxx codes should work. 

Alternatively, I was able to input the code 31759 directly into the RC71, and it worked, but, as discussed earlier in the thread, it required me to follow the steps for programming an IR remote and to do it in a location away from the line-of-sight of the HR44. 

Ultimately, after using the RC71 for several days, I decided to go back to using the RC65RX remotes with the HR44 even though they can only be used in IR mode.  While the smaller size of the RC71 is nice, with smaller buttons and fewer buttons, I find it less convenient.  I also don't like the placement of a few of the buttons on the RC71.  For example, the location of the "record" button is such that, when intending to press the "guide" button, I have occasionally accidently started the HR44 recording.  I'm sure that, if I used the RC71 long enough, using it would become more of a habit, but considering that it can't do everything that the RC65 can do, I'd rather live with using the RC65 even if I have to use it in IR mode.

Edited by lesz, 15 July 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,958 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

Can the sound bar not be set to turn off with the TV? 

I can turn off my Denon AVR by pushing the Off button on the RC71, which at the same time turns off the DVR and TV as well, but it (the AVR) gets its signal from the TV. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Can the sound bar not be set to turn off with the TV? 

I can turn off my Denon AVR by pushing the Off button on the RC71, which at the same time turns off the DVR and TV as well, but it (the AVR) gets its signal from the TV. 

No, it cannot be set to turn off with the TV.  As I said above, though, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather use the RC65, even if I'm limited to IR, anyway, and, thus, it has become irrelevant to me whether I can turn the sound bar on and off with the RC71. 

spam firewall