Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

(Another) Genie install questions thread! (DECA usage)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

Long time member, rare (if ever!) poster here!  

I've been with Directv for well over 10 years, with most of that time using 2 DirecTiVo's.  This is the third location I have had their service.  I called a couple months ago to inquire about upgrading to the Genie, they gave me a "discount" price (I think it was $100 off, and full price for a Mini) so I told them no thanks, and off I went to work on the DirecTiVo that was dying.  After limping the TiVo along for a couple more months, I got a call a couple weeks ago offering me a free Genie upgrade, and a free Mini.  Uh... yes!

The installation was scheduled for today.  I got a call saying that they have an issue with a tech, and they need to reschedule.  Ugh...  I guess they're going to be out here Tuesday after I get off work.  (Very frustrating, since I can't record anything on one of the TiVo's and don't want to spend the time getting it to work.  Not so much of an issue since it will be taken out of service anyway (I'm keeping the other one connected but de-activated to watch the many hours of programming that is stored on it.)

Anyway, now on to the real questions.

The house is old, I'm not worried about holes being drilled, etc. since there are cables already ran to most rooms in the house.  All of the wiring terminates on the outside of the house at a 6x8 multiswitch, coming from a slimeline 5 LNB dish (all of that was here when I moved in!)  What are the chances of them using a SWM8 and leaving the 4 cables running to the dish (future expansion options?)

Next, I have my cable modem and wireless router in a closet that just happens to have an open coax cable next to it.  My hopes are that they will just install the CCK there and be ready to go.  Also, can the power inserter run on that same cable?  If not maybe they can run a cable into there or a dual cable to that location.  

Now for they DECA question.  With the Genie and the mini, I know that I won't need any DECA's, BUT, since there are already dual cables ran to each receiver (which will each now need only a single cable) can use a DECA on the end of each of those open cables to have ethernet available to the devices that are at each location (Xbox 360, Blu-ray player?)  If this would work, I'm guessing that I would need to have a terminator on the end of the DECA that would normally be going to a receiver. correct?  I'm just triying to figure out the easiest way to eliminate some of the wireless devices sitting around that have questionable reliability.  If this will not work, then I suppose I will just run Cat5 cables to them, which will be more difficult due to limited access.

Thanks for listening, and thinks in advance for any answers!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Congrats on your first post at DBSTalk! Hard to believe that you've been a member here for almost 5 years and that was your first. You give a new meaning to the term "lurker". :)

Your setup will work just fine with the Genie and Mini. Your LNB will be replaced with a SWM-LNB. The installer will only use one of the four wires that currently come from the dish, but you can have them leave the other three, if you want. The 6x8 multi-switch will be replaced with a SWM-splitter. You mention about the coax in the closet, is that coax a home-run cable in that it goes straight back to where the other coax cables come into the house? If so, that will work fine for the CCK. The PI will work fine on the same coax as the CCK. Just make sure that whatever coax the PI is on goes to the power-passing port on any splitters to which it is connected.

With regard to using the extra coax cables to get other devices on your network, just to put it out there... That is not a supported setup. That being said, it will work, although there is a chance that you might have degraded MRV performance if you are using those networked devices while using MRV. You will need a DECA and a PI for the DECA as they won't be connected to a receiver for power. You could then plug the DECA directly into a device or you could attach a switch to the DECA and then plug your devices into the switch.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

I would use the extra coax cables to create another network using some MOCA adapters.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,820 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

What are the chances of them using a SWM8 and leaving the 4 cables running to the dish (future expansion options?)

You're not likely to see an external switch. You'll be using only five of eight available channels and it appears that the current incidence of SWM8 installs is close to nil.

Next, I have my cable modem and wireless router in a closet that just happens to have an open coax cable next to it.

That depends on where the other end of the cable goes. If it currently goes to the WB68, you should be good.

With the Genie and the mini, I know that I won't need any DECA's, BUT, since there are already dual cables ran to each receiver (which will each now need only a single cable) can use a DECA on the end of each of those open cables to have ethernet available to the devices that are at each location (Xbox 360, Blu-ray player?)

DIRECTV is there to install DIRECTV, not to reconfigure your LAN. You could conceivably add them yourself, but you have to consider the possible impacts of putting non-DIRECTV traffic into the DECA cloud; especially with your newly acquired dependence on RVU. If the cables weren't mated, I'd suggest using the spare one to help pull a CAT6 in and go wired Gigabit.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

Congrats on your first post at DBSTalk! Hard to believe that you've been a member here for almost 5 years and that was your first. You give a new meaning to the term "lurker". :)

Your setup will work just fine with the Genie and Mini. Your LNB will be replaced with a SWM-LNB. The installer will only use one of the four wires that currently come from the dish, but you can have them leave the other three, if you want. The 6x8 multi-switch will be replaced with a SWM-splitter. You mention about the coax in the closet, is that coax a home-run cable in that it goes straight back to where the other coax cables come into the house? If so, that will work fine for the CCK. The PI will work fine on the same coax as the CCK. Just make sure that whatever coax the PI is on goes to the power-passing port on any splitters to which it is connected.

With regard to using the extra coax cables to get other devices on your network, just to put it out there... That is not a supported setup. That being said, it will work, although there is a chance that you might have degraded MRV performance if you are using those networked devices while using MRV. You will need a DECA and a PI for the DECA as they won't be connected to a receiver for power. You could then plug the DECA directly into a device or you could attach a switch to the DECA and then plug your devices into the switch.

- Merg

The cable in question fpr the PI IS running back to the multiswitch.  

I've done other things with Directv devices that "aren't officially supported" in the past, that's why I have had these DirecTiVo's for so many years!   ;)

I would use the extra coax cables to create another network using some MOCA adapters.

I'll just run cat5 over the cost of the MOCA adapters!  They are less than they were when I had looked at the technology a while back, but still a LOT more than the cost of installing my own cabling (since I already have everything except the jacks!)

You're not likely to see an external switch. You'll be using only five of eight available channels and it appears that the current incidence of SWM8 installs is close to nil.
That depends on where the other end of the cable goes. If it currently goes to the WB68, you should be good.
DIRECTV is there to install DIRECTV, not to reconfigure your LAN. You could conceivably add them yourself, but you have to consider the possible impacts of putting non-DIRECTV traffic into the DECA cloud; especially with your newly acquired dependence on RVU. If the cables weren't mated, I'd suggest using the spare one to help pull a CAT6 in and go wired Gigabit.

I think for now a couple DECA's would do what I want without bothering the MRV playback, since MRV would only be running one stream, and the other connected devices would only be one stream, at a worst case scenario, since all the devices would be connected to 2 TV's.  

Edited by jporter12, 06 July 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

You could also use the extra coax cables along with DECAs to create a completely separate cloud for your networked devices. Basically, the extra cables would go back to their own splitter that would have another DECA and PI attached to it. That DECA would be connected to your router.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Here's some links to a DECA with a PI and a 4-way splitter.

DECA and PI - $9/each

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20d3d8c2da

4-way splitter - $5.24

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d690b7b4

In the case of the splitter, you would not have anything connected to the "In from SWM" port. I assume that you would have 3 of the ports used (one from each of the places the TIVO's are and one for the DECA to the router. In that case, make sure to terminate the open 4-way and the "In from SWM" port.

Not bad for under $42 to have a nice wired network without the need to run cable.

- Merg

• jporter12 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Here's some links to a DECA with a PI and a 4-way splitter.

DECA and PI - $9/each

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20d3d8c2da

4-way splitter - $5.24

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d690b7b4

In the case of the splitter, you would not have anything connected to the "In from SWM" port. I assume that you would have 3 of the ports used (one from each of the places the TIVO's are and one for the DECA to the router. In that case, make sure to terminate the open 4-way and the "In from SWM" port.

Not bad for under $42 to have a nice wired network without the need to run cable.

- Merg

That's kinda what I was thinking, but didn't think to separate the "other" network from the Directv DECA network.  The only possible downside would be filling another port on my router, but that's not an issue right now, anyway!

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

That's kinda what I was thinking, but didn't think to separate the "other" network from the Directv DECA network.  The only possible downside would be filling another port on my router, but that's not an issue right now, anyway!

You could always add a switch into the closet where your router is too if you end up using up the available ports on your router. I currently have 2 8-port switches connected to my router to handle all the wired devices I have (along with allowing me to only run one cable from one place to another and then use the switch to connect all devices at the remote location.

- Merg

#10 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, so somebody has me EXTREMELY pissed right now.  SOMEBODY can't get scheduling right, and it's not me!  UGH...

(Sorry, had to vent!)

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,362 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Yeah, so somebody has me EXTREMELY pissed right now.  SOMEBODY can't get scheduling right, and it's not me!  UGH...

(Sorry, had to vent!)

From my reply at DirecTV forums

About the only thing you can do, is check you online account to see if there are any cancellations. DirecTV cannot forced and earlier appointment.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

From my reply at DirecTV forums

About the only thing you can do, is check you online account to see if there are any cancellations. DirecTV cannot forced and earlier appointment.

Yeah, I got it there, too.  Thanks for taking your time to reply.

#13 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ok, I FINALLY got installed today, and the Genie works fairly well.  I'm not very impressed with the slow responsiveness of the UI, but I'll give it a few days to "settle in" and get everything downloaded that it needs to.  

The install took just over an hour, and went exactly as I expected, switch the LNB to a SWiM LNB, power inserter and DECA in the closet with my router, installed the HR34 in the living room and the C31 in the bedroom.  

There were 8 cables connected to the old 6x8 multiswitch and the tech reconnected them all to the new 8-way SWiM splttier, leaving the other end of each open.  Is that a problem, or should they all be terminated?

The other issue I have is the remote controls will not setup for RF.  They are RC65X models.  I'm going to look through here for other posts talking about it, unless someone comes chiming in with a "silver bullet" fix!

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

All unused ports on the SWiM splitter should be terminated to prevent signal reflection;

The tech should not have connected any of those open ended cables that way. You need to get him back out there to do it right unless you want to buy 75 ohm terminating caps and do it yourself.

Setting the remote to RF mode can be easily found by searching the forum here or through Google. 

• jporter12 likes this

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#15 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yeh those un used cables should not be connected on the splitter and should be terminated

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#16 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

That's what I thought on the terminator issue.  

I tried going through the menus on the receiver for the remote setup to no avail.  I'm going to search for it now.  

Thanks!

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

There were 8 cables connected to the old 6x8 multiswitch and the tech reconnected them all to the new 8-way SWiM splttier, leaving the other end of each open.  Is that a problem, or should they all be terminated?

The other issue I have is the remote controls will not setup for RF.  They are RC65X models.  I'm going to look through here for other posts talking about it, unless someone comes chiming in with a "silver bullet" fix!

This is the "lazy" way to switch to a SWM system.  I would get him back

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Your remote is NOT RF.  and RF remote model should be like RC65RX.  noticed the "R" in the model number 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Your remote is NOT RF.  and RF remote model should be like RC65RX.  noticed the "R" in the model number 

Yeah, I was about to post up that I figured that one out!  I might buy one or 2 of the RX version.  I like having spare remotes around anyway!  Should the install have included RF remotes?

#20 OFFLINE   jporter12

jporter12

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Also, I decided to try the unsupported configuration of using the ethernet port on the Genie to provide the network connection to my Blu-ray player.  We shall see how it works in time.  I don't anticipate any problems due to the infrequent usage of the connected Blu-ray player.  Also, having just one client connected should keep the network traffic low enough to not be an issue for now.  

spam firewall