Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Siberia

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

Has a fake feel to it ... like I'm being had.  Maybe it's just me. :dozey:

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

It's supposed to be fake...like shows like The Office or Parks & Rec.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

It's supposed to be fake...like shows like The Office or Parks & Rec.

Well, I guess that answers that then.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

I watched it last night, not bad

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,214 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, like the take-off on the reality survival shows.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

If not for Sigma spilling the beans, I would have continued to watch this show thinking it was just a badly-made reality competition. Thanks for the heads-up, 1914.

I frankly didn't know it was a scripted(?) series and that a lot of people knew about it. This one caught me by surprise.  Who would have suspected that the networks had invented a new genre?  I wonder if they'll call it "Fake Reality"?  Oxymoronic, no?

At least when the networks ask me to suspend reality and watch the likes of Lucy Liu playing the part of Watson, I know what to expect going in.  But when I get no warning and instead get, well ... Siberia, I sorta feel used and predisposed to ignore it.

They should have kept the Icelandic girl ... at least she had the body to keep my mind occupied. 

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#7 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 905 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Yes, and interesting premise, a supernatural series using the reality-show format. Would never watch an actual reality series, but this could be good, need a few more eps to decide.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

The whole plot is that the people are contestants on a reality show and initially they think what is going on is part of the show.  I'm not sure how that could be missed.  lol

"In 1908, a meteor hit deep into the remote Siberian territory of Tunguska. Now, more than 100 years later, 16 contestants descend on Tunguska unknowing of the land's mysterious past. When a contestant is badly injured and no help arrives, the contestants are met with the chilling realization that the strange occurrences are not part of the show. With their safety threatened, competing contestants must band together in an effort to survive."

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

The whole plot is that the people are contestants on a reality show and initially they think what is going on is part of the show.  I'm not sure how that could be missed.  lol

"In 1908, a meteor hit deep into the remote Siberian territory of Tunguska. Now, more than 100 years later, 16 contestants descend on Tunguska unknowing of the land's mysterious past. When a contestant is badly injured and no help arrives, the contestants are met with the chilling realization that the strange occurrences are not part of the show. With their safety threatened, competing contestants must band together in an effort to survive."

Like I said, I didn't know.  Had I read this, I would have ignored it from the start.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#10 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

Like I said, I didn't know.  Had I read this, I would have ignored it from the start.

I think you should try to wipe out the spoiler from your mind, and look at this show the way you were at first, as a reality show... That's what I'm doing and hoping they all have at least one chance at a food reward before they become the food.  :goodjob: 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#11 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

I think you should try to wipe out the spoiler from your mind, and look at this show the way you were at first, as a reality show... That's what I'm doing and hoping they all have at least one chance at a food reward before they become the food.  :goodjob: 

That's good advice, oldschool, but even as a true reality show (which we now realize it's not), it sucked.  So Reality or Fake Reality doesn't really matter; it's just a bad show. Both the wife and I agree and we've killed the timer.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Hmmm. Well, it's a scripted drama with a suspense/horror "theme" - of the type "Under The Dome" represents except the folks here are trapped in an isolated meteor crater, sort of an inverted dome. And like reality show contestants the characters are disposable but more so. It's an idea I like.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

That's why I find out what a show is about before I decide whether or not I'm going to start recording it.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

That's why I find out what a show is about before I decide whether or not I'm going to start recording it.

True, but I was surfing the EPG and ran into it. I set the timer to catch the first episode.  The rest is history.

• gaperrine likes this
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#15 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hmmm. Well, it's a scripted drama with a suspense/horror "theme" - of the type "Under The Dome" represents except the folks here are trapped in an isolated meteor crater, sort of an inverted dome. And like reality show contestants the characters are disposable but more so. It's an idea I like.

Yep ... and we deleted both timers. With us, "Scripted" doesn't hold the lofty status you seem to give it. 

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Yep ... and we deleted both timers. With us, "Scripted" doesn't hold the lofty status you seem to give it. 

Let's face it, all shows are scripted.  Even the "reality" shows are scripted.  I can't stand "reality" shows.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

That's why your name is RunnerFL and mine is Henry.  Two people with different tastes.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#18 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

Since I have always been interested in Tunguska event, I have put on season pass. If it becomes a must see show I will watch it. If I hear anything about zombies I will pass.

#19 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

Since I have always been interested in Tunguska event, I have put on season pass. If it becomes a must see show I will watch it. If I hear anything about zombies I will pass.

Well, it's scripted ... so, the sky's the limit.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Well, it's scripted ... so, the sky's the limit.

Every show is scripted...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...