Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Siberia

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

English is fine, Runner.  You're entitled to your own opinion, especially when it simplifies the world you live in. 

My response simply reflected my own opinion on the matter.

It's not an opinion.  lol  You can lookup most people on "reality" shows and view their acting background online.  "Who wants to be a superhero" is the perfect example.  If you take the time to look you'll see everyone on that "reality" show has acting credits prior to the show.

"Reality TV" is not actually real.  It is scripted, staged and acted out by semi-professional actors looking for their "big break". 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

It's not an opinion.  lol  You can lookup most people on "reality" shows and view their acting background online.  "Who wants to be a superhero" is the perfect example.  If you take the time to look you'll see everyone on that "reality" show has acting credits prior to the show.

"Reality TV" is not actually real.  It is scripted, staged and acted out by semi-professional actors looking for their "big break". 

This thread is slowly losing its original intent, but I guess I can play along, too.  Your sweeping statement of the other day belies your present specificity.  You said "Reality shows aren't reality, they star actors who are acting.", but today you modify your comments with "most" or limit them by specifically pointing to Stan Lee's "Who Wants To Be A Superhero?" What you said the other day was universal and I disagree with it, especially the parts that imply that ALL reality shows are scripted and that the cast is composed of ACTORS.

Are you basing your universal opinion on one show?

If what you say is correct, then CBS has some explaining to do over Big Brother 15's Aaryn making racial slurs or Jeremy's homophobic ones.  Are you still contending that (a) they are acting and that ( b ) everything said was scripted?

I'll be the first to acknowledge that hosts and judges have scripted moments, but are you saying that the contestants themselves are speaking scripted content?

I'll also acknowledge that producers intentionally change the environment and that some unscrupulous ones even edit the contestants' comments to suit their goals. But does that make the results any less REAL?

I've done some research, too.  Mine seems to support my claims, but it might just be in the interpretation.  It's not as though we are breaking new ground here. I'm including this link because of a single word contained in the very first sentence of the article: unscripted.  The article goes on to explore the different components of this genre and even discusses its abuses.  Makes for interesting reading.

But if you are correct, then I can't wait for the scripted moment when Sherlock says to Watson "Shut up and go make some rice."

Edit by Henry: My attempt to imbed a link above failed.  Here's the link: https://en.wikipedia...lity_television

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#43 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,972 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

I guess the people arrested on Cops were acting, too.

The father of my good friend's child was on an Undercover Boss episode (the NASCAR episode) and I guarantee he wasn't acting and never has.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#44 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

This thread is slowly losing its original intent, but I guess I can play along, too.  Your sweeping statement of the other day belies your present specificity.  You said "Reality shows aren't reality, they star actors who are acting.", but today you modify your comments with "most" or limit them by specifically pointing to Stan Lee's "Who Wants To Be A Superhero?" What you said the other day was universal and I disagree with it, especially the parts that imply that ALL reality shows are scripted and that the cast is composed of ACTORS.

I'm not going to spend my time doing your homework.  I gave you one example.  If you want more then you can find them or remain ignorant and believe "reality" shows are real. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#45 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

I guess the people arrested on Cops were acting, too.

The father of my good friend's child was on an Undercover Boss episode (the NASCAR episode) and I guarantee he wasn't acting and never has.

Cops is not a "reality" show, it's a documentary, same with Undercover Boss, Deadliest Catch, etc.  A "Reality" show is a show that claims to be based on real life yet gives out a prize to a winner.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#46 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,972 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Cops is not a "reality" show, it's a documentary, same with Undercover Boss, Deadliest Catch, etc.  A "Reality" show is a show that claims to be based on real life yet gives out a prize to a winner.

That's not even true. That's a reality game show/contest. By your definition, MTV's The Real World, which was a pioneer of reality shows, isn't a reality show... no prize is given.

You're confusing subgenres with what falls under reality shows genre.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#47 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

That's not even true. That's a reality game show/contest. By your definition, MTV's The Real World, which was a pioneer of reality shows, isn't a reality show... no prize is given.

You're confusing subgenres with what falls under reality shows genre.

You must have never watched The Real World.  A prize was definitely given.  Not only was there a prize but you also gained fame.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#48 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,972 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

You must have never watched The Real World.  A prize was definitely given.  Not only was there a prize but you also gained fame.

What's the prize? I've watched every season.

#49 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

I'm not going to spend my time doing your homework.  I gave you one example.  If you want more then you can find them or remain ignorant and believe "reality" shows are real. 

Sorry I caught you at a bad time... nonetheless, it was nice sparring with you.  Maybe we can do it again some other time.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#50 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

you must be confusing The Real World with the Challenge shows that followed

3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#51 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

I just tried to watch last nights episode and it was preempted for the Royal birth.

WTF? Has NBC given up on Siberia already?

Edited by oldschoolecw, 23 July 2013 - 06:43 PM.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#52 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Has NBC given up on Siberia already?

They probably noticed our household had given up on the program so they did too. :sure:

• Henry likes this

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#53 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

I just tried to watch last nights episode and it was preempted for the Royal birth.

WTF? Has NBC given up on Siberia already?

No, the whole world thought it was necessary to preempt everything for shows on the child's birth.  The guide data had even been updated here with a show title so new it even mentioned the child was a prince. 

The show is still scheduled for next week, as of right now.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#54 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

They probably noticed our household had given up on the program so they did too. :sure:

+100%

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#55 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

There are no actors in reality tv... Siberia on the other hand is a tv show about reality tv.

• Henry likes this
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#56 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

This show just got really interesting now.  If anybody has seen Joss Wheldon's "Cabin In The Woods" should know what I mean.  It is too bad for those who gave up after three episodes.

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

This show just got really interesting now.  If anybody has seen Joss Wheldon's "Cabin In The Woods" should know what I mean.  It is too bad for those who gave up after three episodes.

Yes, it has definitely taken a turn towards really interesting. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Good to know. I have been recording but not watch.

#59 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

So last nights episode should be on my DVR? Awesome, I'm just surprised NBC didn't  preempt it for the Kenyan fly swatting championship. 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#60 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

So last nights episode should be on my DVR? Awesome, I'm just surprised NBC didn't  preempt it for the Kenyan fly swatting championship.

Who won:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...