Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Genie Install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ChE74

ChE74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hi All,

I'm having a new genie and genie mini install next week.  My house has 4 cables from the dish location to a j-box in the utility room.  3 cables from the j-box and main TV/ genie and 2 cables from the j-box to the genie mini location.  All cables are RG6 for satellite.

Both locations have phone jacks.  The genie mini location has hi speed internet/WIFI modem.

Will installer have to run any more cables?

Also will this setup be able to get OTA stations or is additional equipment required?  We will get local channels on the satellite but we also want the supplemental channels I.e. the -2, -3 et.cet.

I haven't been able to locate back panel views of the equipment so if anyone has them I'd appreciate a look at.

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

You will need an AM21 to connect to your Genie, and it will have to connect to an antenna - on your roof unless the stations you want are fairly close/powerful in which case an indoor antenna may work.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

The Genie + Mini setup should only require 1 RG6 in a SWiM configuration. Sounds like your cabling is more than adequate, but the installer will advise if any minor changes needed. As mentioned above, OTA requires the AM21 (forget if the price is $49 or $99) + antenna. Based on past experience, techs have rarely recommended the DirecTV antenna with the AM21..check amazon for mid-range antennas and you should be fine.

Have you tried google? Click Images at the top and then,

Search the following (one at a time):

genie HR44 back panel

genie HR34 back panel

genie mini C31 back panel

genie mini C41 back panel

Good luck!

-=K=-

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Or lookup the "First Look" for that model, here on DBSTalk. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   ChE74

ChE74

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hi again all,   Thanks for the replies.

My install was completed yesterday.  I have a genie HR44 and client C41.  The receivers seem to work well but the remotes (2 RC71s) both have glitches.  The one for the main TV worked for a while and was programmed for the TV,  but after a while it quit operating the receivers.  It continues operate the TV on/off and volume, but nothing on either receiver.  Pressing any button causes the green light to flicker very rapidly but nothing happens.  The other remote operates both receivers but will not program to either TV.  D* is sending the installer back some time today to replace the remotes.  Has anyone else had a problem with these remotes?

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

You might try pressing the Mute and Select button, wait until the light blinks 2 times, then program in 981 and press the select button.

This is supposed to reset the remote to original specs.

Then you would need to reprogram it for you TV.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hi again all,   Thanks for the replies.

My install was completed yesterday.  I have a genie HR44 and client C41.  The receivers seem to work well but the remotes (2 RC71s) both have glitches.  The one for the main TV worked for a while and was programmed for the TV,  but after a while it quit operating the receivers.  It continues operate the TV on/off and volume, but nothing on either receiver.  Pressing any button causes the green light to flicker very rapidly but nothing happens.  The other remote operates both receivers but will not program to either TV.  D* is sending the installer back some time today to replace the remotes.  Has anyone else had a problem with these remotes?

Pressing MUTE and ENTER for a couple of seconds will "pair" the RC71 to each receiver and/or client

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   ChE74

ChE74

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Jimme57 and peds48,

I was able to correct the troublesome remote by removing the batteries for overnight, the next morning re programming the remote from scratch and lo and behold it works.  The one that worked fine except for controlling the TV power/volume/mute also works now.  This was after using the tip from peds48 I was able to bring up a screen and procedure I hadn't seen before and was able to get it to control that TV.  Prior to that I tried all the codes on D*s website as well as the ones that came from the normal "program remote" command.

Thanks again,  Everything is working fine now.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Awesome, thanks for the update

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...