Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about Genie/Whole Home DVR Installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TalonStryk

TalonStryk

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hi,

I'm currently scheduled for a Genie+Genie Mini Install next week, and I have a few questions about Direct TV and their Whole Home DVR implementation. To give a little background, I live in a townhome that has 2 dedicated coax drops--one to the living room where the DishDVR (a 922k) resides, and another one to the Master bedroom. The TV in the master bedroom is connected to the 922k's TV2 output via a back feed. The satellite dish is mounted to the room of our detached garage in the rear, and there is a buried cable running from the dish to the house through our small backyard.  I have an electrician coming to do some wiring early next week (a few days before the Direct TV install), and wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered before he comes.

1) For Whole Home DVR, my understanding is that Direct TV uses DECA (which is a variant of the MOCA standard) to connect the Genie to the Genie Mini, and the actual video is transmitted via UPNP. How exactly is the hardware connected? My dilemma is this--I have gotten to the point where I am not happy with my DSL internet, and would like to use TimeWarner for internet, but Direct TV for TV. With only two dedicated RG6 drops, I know I will have to keep one free for Time Warner and the other for DirectTV. I had an electrician come and look at the house to take a look, and due to the construction of the townhome and the HOA bylaws it is not possible to run another dedicated drop. What he can do is run an RG6 connection from the master bedroom to the living room. Could the Genie and Genie Mini be linked in a supported fashion via the new coax drop between the living room and master bedroom? I am also have Cat6 utp cable run at the same time between the rooms if that could be used instead of the coax (I know the Hopper and Joey can be linked via ethernet, but it is unsupported).  

2) I know this may not be the correct forum to ask this particular question in, but does anyone know offhand what type of cable Time Warner runs from the their Point-Of-Presence to a residence? The Time Warner POP is behind the garage, and there is a small conduit pipe which runs under the garage right to the back of the house (but the Dish installers were unable to fish the cable, hence the buried line). If I can figure out what cable type Time Warner uses, I am going to have the electrician attempt to fish the cable through the conduit.

Thanks for the help!

Please note that this is a subset of the questions I ask over at the SatelliteGuys forum (http://www.satellite...90fccc4a4337dc3)

Edited by TalonStryk, 06 July 2013 - 03:48 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Since DirecTV uses SWM when installing a Genie, that means that only one RG6 (preferably SCC) is needed from the dish to the ground source and then to the Genie.  From te Genie, you can use the cable that is (was) back-feeding the 922 to connect the Genie client.  If you get the HR44 is has built in WiFi which you can use to connect the Genie to your network for Internet access.  However an Ethernet connection (hard wired) is much preferred.

CableCos uses coax from outside of your home to the modem location 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   TalonStryk

TalonStryk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Since DirecTV uses SWM when installing a Genie, that means that only one RG6 (preferably SCC) is needed from the dish to the ground source and then to the Genie.  From te Genie, you can use the cable that is (was) back-feeding the 922 to connect the Genie client.  If you get the HR44 is has built in WiFi which you can use to connect the Genie to your network for Internet access.  However an Ethernet connection (hard wired) is much preferred.

CableCos uses coax from outside of your home to the modem location 

Peds48,

Thank you for the quick response.  Just to make sure I understand correctly and was clear on my current setup, the 922k tv2 out is backfed through the same line used by the 922k as inputs, and outside it is somehow attached to both the lnb and the dedicated line to the master bedroom.  As I have to leave one of the two dedicated coax drops for Time Warner Internet, I would like to do is have the input signal to the Genie come to the den through the same dedicated coax line that the 922k is currently using, but have it connected to the Genie Mini in the bedroom via a new rg6 coax line that will run between between the master bedroom and living room (This drop will not go outside and is completely separate from the current coax line running from outside to the master bedroom).  Is this possible?  Or does the deca network have to go back out the same line the satellite input to the Genie comes in?

Thanks again!

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

You said you have two TVs with DN now, one is being fed by the cable from outside, the other TV is getting the modulated signal from the 922 by using  diplexers.  you can use the same coax cables with dtv, but instead of diplexers you would use a splitter

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...