Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Partial Signal Loss Screen

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

I have just started noticing the last few days that I am starting to get a blue screen stating Partial Signal Loss.  It also shows Signal Code:  00-00-00  What is the most likely culprit and what is the most likely fix?  In the past when I would get t his on rare occasion, I usually chalked it up to being a weather issue, but lately I have got this a few times when weather was not likely to be a factor. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Klatu

Klatu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

I've been having the same problem off and on for some weeks. Tried uplug/plug and it seemed to help for awhile, then it has started up again. Happened 3 times this morning on various channels. Nice weather outside today. Have to channel up then cancel to get channel again. Maybe the 722 is going bad again after one year, we'll see.

VIP 722 DVR, Samsung LNT4671F HD TV, ROKU for Netflix, Panasonic Blu-Ray, Slingbox, and a HTC Rezound to watch all this stuff when my wife is shopping.

#3 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Go to menu 6-1-1 and check your signal strengths.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

I am doing that, but I only get Signal Strength of 49-50.  That is not very good and much less than I have got in the past.

#5 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Signal should be receivable down into the 20's.

Do you have an OTA antenna connected and possibly have the OTA tuner on a weak channel?

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#6 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Jim148 I am more than happy to help you with the Signal Issue today, would you PM me with the phone number on the account to better assist you?

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

The DISH technician came out twice today.  On the second visit he swapped out the DISH Network DPP-44 and I think all is well for now.

#8 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, I've been having this happen as well on the 722K. Clear skies. Have to unplug to fix. Tech time I guess.

Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#9 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

I have been having the same problem with my 722K occasionally.  If I hit the Guide button, it seems to be fine and I can rewind back to the beginning of the "signal loss" and it doesn't skip any of the programming.  It sounds like a bug.

Jim5506:  I do have an OTA antenna; do you mean to suggest that even though I am tuned to a sat. delivered channel, if in the background, the OTA tuner happens to be tuned to a channel that is going in and out, it could trigger the signal loss screen?  I'll try tuning to an OTA channel that is solid and and then tune back to the sat delivered channel to see if that helps.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#10 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's summer. Is the receiver well ventalated. A couple summers ago I started getting wierd happenings as described. I added a cooling fan on the hot days and problems went away.

#11 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

I'm wondering if it's a bug too.  I get this every so often (once a month, once every few months), usually at night, but I've never had a recording affected by it.  Never raining or snowing or even that cloudy when this happens.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

I'm wondering if it's a bug too.  I get this every so often (once a month, once every few months), usually at night, but I've never had a recording affected by it.  Never raining or snowing or even that cloudy when this happens.

I know this can be frustrating, is this happening on all channels or just a few? What is the signal strength you’re getting?

Thanks

#13 Guest_Buldwg_*

Guest_Buldwg_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

I have had this problem off and on for 18 months with my 722k.  We also have a 622 on the same antenna and it never has had this issue.

Dish replaced my 722k four times... keeping the same MT-2 module each time.  I was visited by a "Senior Tech" that seemed to know less about the 722k then I do. (Using my phone, he cancelled the appointment and told Dish it was an electrical problem in my house.  It's not!)

I was referred to a contact at the CEO's Office that had resolved an issue years ago for me.  I left him four voice mails and an E-mail... never heard from him!

Decided I'd use Google and hopefully solve it myself.

Try disconnecting the OTA coax from the rear of your receiver for a while.  I predict that the problem will not reoccur.

With that experiment over, I would reconnect coax and check signal strengths on all OTA stations.  If there are any weak ones, you should delete it from the locals in that menu and also delete it from the guide.

When you called Dish and told them the splash screen error was 00-00-00 I suspect they told you that couldn't be... by definition there must be an error for that message to appear.  Well, apparently not if the error is a loss of an OTA channel.  (Although I don't see why the error even appears in this case.)

I'd be interested in hearing if this solves the issue....

PS  Never - not once - was a recording in progress ever played back with any loss.  If paused when the error screen popped up, the puffer never once lost any part of the "recorded" info.

#14 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

PS  Never - not once - was a recording in progress ever played back with any loss.  If paused when the error screen popped up, the puffer never once lost any part of the "recorded" info.

Bingo, have never lost any recording to this even though the message pops up during that recording.  For me, I see it most on the SD kids channels my kids watch.  169 - 174 kind of thing.  (SD, because they occupy less space on the DVR drive.  :-)  )  I will try and be more diligent in the future about how/where/when it occurs.

It actually happened the other night while I was watching TV.  Rebooted, and it went away.  So again, I suspect it's a software bug thing, and not a real hardware issue.

#15 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Kevin,

Next time it occurs, instead of rebooting, try selecting Guide and selecting any channel.

PS  I had been gone from dbstalk for years and had to create a new identity for one post... I was "Buldwg" two posts up.... that identity is now gone.

As I said, this problem has existed on many, many of my replacement 722k receivers.  It's software, not hardware.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 24 July 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

^^^  I will try that.  Thanks.  :righton:

#17 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

Jim5506:  I do have an OTA antenna; do you mean to suggest that even though I am tuned to a sat. delivered channel, if in the background, the OTA tuner happens to be tuned to a channel that is going in and out, it could trigger the signal loss screen?  I'll try tuning to an OTA channel that is solid and and then tune back to the sat delivered channel to see if that helps.

Exactly!

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#18 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

My issue turned out to be a need for re-aiming. Not too  surprised, it was a new install a year ago on a new house, probably settled a little, plus now I see it wasn't aimed that well int he first place, the signal now is much higher than it was when originally installed.

Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#19 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

My issue turned out to be a need for re-aiming. Not too  surprised, it was a new install a year ago on a new house, probably settled a little, plus now I see it wasn't aimed that well int he first place, the signal now is much higher than it was when originally installed.

My ongoing issue is not related to Sat Strength... it is related to OTA signal.  My Eastern Arc Dish has had new LNBs and had the antenna peaked by a few Dish Techs, with no adjustments indicated.

spam firewall