Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

211Z hooked up to Sea King

incompetent Call center 211z sea king East Coast New England

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wxx3

wxx3

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

I've had 211Z since mid April 2013. I Live on the East Coast and am now in New England.

I had Dish installed in my house (722) only to get the 211Z receiver for my boat.

I've upgraded by Sea kIng controller and installed updated software to get HD reception.

Sea King finally seems to be working as it should.  As I write this it is locked (Signal strength 93) on system 1000a, dish 119.

Now, my issues.  At home the 722 works as advertised. I get all I should be getting.  Their DVR is beyond clunky, but that's another story and why i will never give up my FIOS until I sell that apartment.

In the lat three months, with my 211Z, I have never been able to get all the channals I should.  It has always come up with some combination of 110, 119, or 61.5, Mostly one satellite, sometimes two, never three (as in my house).

So, after not talking with RV Tech control for two months, I decided to give hem a call to see if I could get the remanding channels.

Ha. Did I have another think coming.

After talking with three people, and finally getting someone who seemed to have a clue,(maybe just because they gave me something different to try) they told me to disconnect the coax input, run check switch and save the results (nothing).

Then reconnect and run again.

Ha, Ha, It sounded promising, but now, not matter what I reset, every time I run check switch, i get Reception error. 

I've tried running it using 119, and even 61.5, using different transponders (does it make a difference?).

At this point I have nothing.  

Any Ideas??

Frustrated in Boston

Richard

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,309 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

Running the check switch and saving the nothing result clears the matrix. The receiver no longer knows where any satellite is on the input. Running it again with the dish attached should allow it to find the switch and the satellites and rebuild that matrix. Check switch sends out a series of switch commands and then tests to see what signals come back. The caveat is that if it cannot identify the switch the receiver cannot control the switch correctly.

There are no settings to choose any particular satellite when running a check switch. The system finds what it can find regardless of any settings you change on the signal strength screen. Then based on what it finds the receiver creates the matrix. If it finds 119 that will be added to the matrix where the receiver found it.
  • wxx3 likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   wxx3

wxx3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

Thanks.  An update. I did discover why I was getting nothing. I had connected a dead coax cable :nono2:

I still only get two satellites showing up at any one time.

I'll do some more trouble shooting in the next few days.

#4 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

The Western Arc is 110/119/129 your HD channels are mostly on 129. The Eastern Arc is 61.5 & 72.7 with the HD channels being on 72.7.

#5 OFFLINE   wxx3

wxx3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

THanks

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

would be interesting to see a screenshot after you'll press Menu twice ... is it really 211Z or it's ViP211k ?

#7 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Are you attempting to configure your system while the boat is on the water? If so, that may be the problem. The Sea King dome needs to remain 100% motionless (i.e., on solid ground) during the initial set-up process. I assume the "RV Tech control" you refer to is at King Controls and not at DISH. If so, you are talking to the right people. Also, I'd try using your 211z at home to rule out any problems with the DISH side of of your boat's system.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

It's really new, the box [211Z], so far in Internet I can't get pictures, just marketing one.

One tidbit is "The ViP 211z does not have a coaxial or HD component output for TV."

Would be interesting to see a short presentation from wxx3; a few pictures, most important would be rear side with all connectotions.

#9 OFFLINE   wxx3

wxx3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Thanks All. 

So far, to clarify.

1. Boat is on water, tied to marina. Hardly moving, but not the same as on dry land.
  2. Have attached pics so you can see that, yes, it is a 211Z and yes, I have hdmi output to TV.
  3. In talking with DIsh they still do not have external HD enabled on 211Z
  4. I finally spoke to someone who seemed like they have a clue. (I don't understand the Dish business model for tech support, it seems like its run my Direct TV, meaning lets find a way to drive all our customers away).  He told me that Dish has a special person for King Controls (a dish employee) that i need to talk to.  (Why did it take dozens of calls to learn this??)
  5. I will try to cll today, as boat is not moving, but it takes an inordiante of silly questions to finally get to someone who knows the diffrence between thier ass and and a hole in the ground. (sorry, but just can't take this) Evidently this system worked fine with Direct TV I just had to be different.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20130716_094824_resized.jpg
  • 20130716_094925_resized.jpg
  • 20130716_094950.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Thank you for the pictures. it will help to find out how its FW is spooling for the model.

As to EHD support, I would try blind approach, I'll connect USB storage (1...2 TB) to it, it would show some screen with a specific ph#, then will call and pretending I know nothing, asking activate ;)

Edited by P Smith, 16 July 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

BTW, you help me solve some mystery with new model's FW. The model.

A couple months ago I posted first info about model name  "ZAPPER2" but no one get the info what it is. Now I see the 211z is the Zapper2.

#12 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

It's not clear from your post's whether you've contacted King Controls or not. I've installed dozens of various King products and learned long ago to contact King Controls whenever I run into problems. King Controls designs their products to be compatible with DISH's receivers, not the other way around. Contacting DISH's tech support for issues with third party equipment is a waste of your time.(an exception being issues with the Tailgater perhaps)

• wxx3 likes this

#13 OFFLINE   wxx3

wxx3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

It's not clear from your post's whether you've contacted King Controls or not. I've installed dozens of various King products and learned long ago to contact King Controls whenever I run into problems. King Controls designs their products to be compatible with DISH's receivers, not the other way around. Contacting DISH's tech support for issues with third party equipment is a waste of your time.(an exception being issues with the Tailgater perhaps)

Yes. Thank you for the above, as King Controls did solve the problem.  Maybe I just expected Dish tech support to have a clue, even to be able to tell me to call King.

#14 OFFLINE   wxx3

wxx3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

An Update.  The last few months has been difficult, as most of my channels that I care to watch are on 61.5 and the sea king locks on, then loses lock for a few seconds, then finds it again.  Sometimes, it takes hours to get a lock.

It does not happen on 119 or 110.

I spoke with King Controls again, did a temp and mechanical recalibration and basically no change.

king Controls said that I may have to send it back to them for repair.

THe boat is headed to Europe in July, so at this point I will try to sell the system (1800 HD) and get the most I can for it.

Richard

#15 OFFLINE   wxx3

wxx3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNE US

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Update.

I talked with King Controls again this week.

THe Sea King locks on to 119 and 110, but with 61.5 it does a lock verify, picture comes up for 20 seconds, and then it starts scanning for the satellite again.

It does this constantly with 61.5.

Now, my question.  king Controls tech said I should probably send it back, but is this based on a known problem or are they just clutching at straws??

I'd appreciate your views.

Confused in Miami.

Richard

#16 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

119 & 110 do not match to 61.5. You should be looking at 72 &* 77 if 61.5 has your locals.  119 & 110 matches to 129.

I once had a 119/110/61.5 set-up and missed about a third of the HD versions of the channels I subscribed to. 

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#17 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

61.5 has mostly locals for EA and is not meant to be paired with 110, 119.

If you need 61.5 for your locals, get your HD/SD from 72.7, it has all the channels that are on 110, 119 and 129, due to it being solely MPEG4 they can put many more channels on just 1 satellite vs WA which is still MPEG2 for SD channels.

By using 110, 119 and 61.5 you are missing MOST of the HD channels that Dish offers.

Edited by Jim5506, 04 April 2014 - 07:19 AM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: incompetent Call center, 211z, sea king, East Coast, New England

spam firewall