Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Playstation 3 as a client on Genie

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cavinny

cavinny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

How do you connect the playstation 3 to a Genie as a client. I read that the PS3 will be RVU ready with an update.

I am not sure where to look in the setup?

Home Theater: Denon AVR3808CI 7.1 HDMI networked * Samsung 56” 1080P HDTV HL56A650C HDMI *HD DVR HR21-700 HDMI * Samsung Blu Ray BDP1500 HDMI * Sony 400 DVD Changer DVP-CS985V * Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-ES520 * Sony Remote Control Commander RM-AV3000 * Slingbox Pro * AT9 Side Car Dish (4 wires) to Zinwell WB616 * Linksys router/Fios Internet 15 Mbps down/5Mbps up

Mysetup http://www.dbstalk.c...345#post2459345

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Not available yet.

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

Haven't seen anything posted about this. But assuming that DIRECTV would want to do it the same way they handle RVU TV sets from Samsung/Sony then they would want to have a coax run to the PS3's location from the SWiM and install a DECA-BB to provide an ethernet connection between the DECA network and the PS3.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

At CES 2013, the RVU alliance announced, along with its expansion to DIRECTV holdings in Latin America, that DIRECTV RVU clients will be coming to Sony PlayStation 3s and new BRAVIA TVs during 2013.

Source: http://www.screendig...a_tvs/view.html

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

Yes, I knew they were announced but I haven't seen anything specific as to how they expected them to connect to the DECA network.

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

Haven't seen anything posted about this. But assuming that DIRECTV would want to do it the same way they handle RVU TV sets from Samsung/Sony then they would want to have a coax run to the PS3's location from the SWiM and install a DECA-BB to provide an ethernet connection between the DECA network and the PS3.

If a C41 can be wireless, I'm sure the PS3 can be done like that.  I don't think most people want coax ran to their PS3, but I guess it wouldn't matter if it was your only source .

The PS3 can already see the HR's on my system.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Thing is DIRECTV might say the client won't work if it detects a wireless connection is being used. I know when I tried using the wireless connection on my Samsung TV the client said it had to be wired and wouldn't run.
  • damondlt likes this

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

I can see my DVRs playlist on the PS3 , I just can't play them.

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

So what. My Samsung could see my Genie server in it's source list when on wireless but whe it was selected the client code said it HAD to be a wired connection not wireless.

#10 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

So what. My Samsung could see my Genie server in it's source list when on wireless but whe it was selected the client code said it HAD to be a wired connection not wireless.

Never mind! :hair:

#11 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

This is because RVU and DLNA are pretty similar, and because the DirecTV DVRs have worked as DLNA players for a while now with Media Share.  We have been able to see the playlists from our HD-DVRs for years, long before RVU and the Genie Servers were around.  The ability to see the playlist right now has nothing to do with it working as an RVU client.

Once it is upgraded to work (if it is, I'm still not convinced it won't be for the PS4 only), my guess is it will work completely differently then how you are seeing your playlist now.  Most likely under the video menu where you see the blu ray player etc, there will be a new icon for RVU, and once you click on it you will switch over to the DirecTV GUI and control everything just like you do on the Genie itself (just like how the RVU TVs and Genie clients function).

As far as the hookup goes, I'm sure DirecTV is going to act just like they do with everthing else including the RVU TVs.  The only supported way to have it hooked up will be over a coax cable with a DECA and then network cable to the PS3/PS4.  That is the way they currently insist that RVU TVs have to be hooked up too.  However, I'm sure if your PS3 is hard wired to your router with a network cable that will work fine too, just like it does on the RVU TVs.  WiFi on the other hand I wouldn't be suprised to not work at all, just like RAD is saying with being hooked up with WiFi for the RVU TVs.

Edited by Beerstalker, 09 July 2013 - 02:55 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#12 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

..my guess is it will work completely differently then how you are seeing your playlist now.  Most likely under the video menu where you see the blu ray player etc, there will be a new icon for RVU, and once you click on it you will switch over to the DirecTV GUI and control everything just like you do on the Genie itself (just like how the RVU TVs and Genie clients function)...

Except you'll be using a PS3 controller for a remote. (Ewwww) ;)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Except you'll be using a PS3 controller for a remote. (Ewwww) ;)

No they make a real remote too for the PS3

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000M17AVO

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

No they make a real remote too for the PS3

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000M17AVO

Right on!  I use the same remote with my PS3 when watching BR.  you know, to get the feel.....

• damondlt likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

The BD/DVD remotes are exceptional.  Works great for the Netflix app if you use your PS3 for Netflix as well.

#16 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

I use my Harmony One to control my PS3 using one of these:

http://www.schmartz....ucts/ps3ir-1000

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#17 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Yea ,I think I'll stick with the PS3 remote. I'm not spending $99 on that and then another $100 + on a harmony remote.

I don't mind using 2 or 3 remotes.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

That seems like an awful lot of money.  When I was using my Harmony remote, I also bought a Nyko remote just so I can use the IR USB dongle.   worked like a charm for $9.99

http://www.walmart.c...0599990&veh=sem

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   chintups3

chintups3

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

still not available 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...