Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T, "MBA Surety Settlement"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,963 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

I just went online to pay my monthly cell phone bill and saw that it was only about $10, instead of the expected $95 or so. That is because I got an $85 credit for my "MBA Surety Settlement".

I just Googled and see that it was for some unfair data utilization charges that AT&T had accrued. I don't deliberately use any data, and the only reason I even have any data charges at all is that when my 2G phone broke and I purchased an inexpensive 3G phone, AT&T did me a favor by "upgrading" my billing plan without my authorization, which they notified me of by e-mail. When I called them a month later to cancel the data part of the plan, they said they couldn't do that because my new phone was data capable, and so I told them I had another 2G phone that I wanted to switch to, but they told me that their 2G service had been deactivated and that they could no longer support that model of phone. Recently, I borrowed a unit of the very same 2G phone - which was on AT&T - from a customer of mine and used it in the same city I lived in and it worked just fine. I didn't bother to call AT&T to demand that they activate my old phone, however, because I had just purchased a used, data capable 3G phone on eBay that has a touch screen and that I anticipated activating shortly.

On the internet, I searched for MBA Surety Settlement, and found that many others were surprised by this credit on their bill as well. I'm sure we were all notified of it by mail, but I always throw anything I get from phone companies and banks and credit card companies in the trash, because generally they are just changes in terms of service that are going to screw me out of a few dollars starting next month, but I just don't get any return on the value of the time that I would have spent reading them. Since the other customer reports I have read regarding unanticipated credits run from $10 to $30, I guess I got screwed by more than most people did.

Edited by AntAltMike, 07 July 2013 - 01:41 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

BTW, it just occurred to me that starting just a few weeks ago, when I press the button to pull up the "menu" on my Samsung 157 phone, the screen immediately says, "Connecting to mobile.web will incur extra data charges".  It didn't used to say that.  But then, I don't even know for sure what is meant by, "extra" data charges.  My bucket allows me something like 3MB of data, which I don't use, but I don't know if these 'extra" data charges are in addition of the utilization of non-mobile.web charges or are just an embodiment of them.

Edited by AntAltMike, 07 July 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Just looked online and my bill has a credit of $62.79 for the MBA thingy. Not normally a fan of these class action lawsuits but I'll take my 62 bucks.  :righton:

I wonder how much the lawyers get to keep?

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

My "favorite" class action suit settlement was the one about deceptive computer screen diagonal measurents, where we were entitled to a $15 credit if we bought another monitor from the same company for $250 or more...

Edited by AntAltMike, 08 July 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Just looked online and my bill has a credit of $62.79 for the MBA thingy. Not normally a fan of these class action lawsuits but I'll take my 62 bucks.  :righton:

I wonder how much the lawyers get to keep?

More than 62 bucks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...