Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SD has top and bottom bars that requires use of zoom

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

When your picture is looking good and when it is looking bad, try pressing the Info button on the remote to see what kind of signal it is receiving from the DTV receiver.

One time it might show 480i and another time 480p.

Grabbing at straws here.

Have you tried resetting the receiver ? 

Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver

This fixes a lot of annoying things that are not explainable some times.

Edited by jimmie57, 07 July 2013 - 10:22 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

If the 4:3 full-screen content looks good, that's the best you can hope for as it has the greatest number of pixels.  Anything else is going to be a zoom in of a relatively low active pixel count SD rendition.  The effective matrix of a letterbox channel is somewhere along the 25-35% of the resolution of your TV and that's simply not going to look particularly fabulous as you're seeing at least a 3:1 upscale.

If you're wondering why some (or all) are confused, in your OP you state that zooming in makes the picture worse (expected) and then in post #17 you say that zooming out (going "to hoz. bars" in your parlance) makes the picture worse (not expected).

This is what I'm not really finding;

The TS' complaint of a substantial drop in DIRECTV's SD channel PQ when it goes from 4:3 full to a 4:3 letter-box image. Granted subjectivism notwithstanding, all of DIRECTV SD quality is mediocre at best to me, with only a 480 x 480 or less resolution for a 4:3 full image, so zooming in on an SD letterbox version with its even lesser vertical resolution will naturally make it look even worse.

But all this aside I'm not seeing a major falloff in PQ between 4:3 full and letter-box versions the TS is reporting.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#23 OFFLINE   Devorandy

Devorandy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

Peds 48: have not upgraded to HD because on a 24 and 32 " Lcd tvs the PQ difference is not a "wow". I have a couple of HD channels on air channels and have switched back and forth to evaluate. The other reason is DTV tech  was called for another reason and said that a new dish would be required for HD and said it would have to be located centered on front lawn (very noticeable).

harsh: I did say that using zoom  to fill screen degrades PQ even more, but PQ is also degraded when the horizontal bars are present. When horizontal bars are present "stretch" and "smart stretch" are not functioning and the only way to fill screen is zoom (double whamy on PQ). The main point is that prior to yesterday both lcd tvs had full screen display using 16:9 with stretch and very good SD picture. The bars appeared and PQ simultaneously degraded. While posting here yesterday, I looked over and everything was back to normal, full screen and good SD picture. Five minutes later both TV's were back to horizontal bars, degraded picture and loss of stretch function. I don't think I can explain this any clearer. Since this happened on both tvs that were connected to the same receiver I assumed it was the receiver or DTV had modified SD signal and that was what I was trying to determine. When both sets returned to "normal" functioning and picture for 5 minutes I am going to assume its the receiver or else someone at DTV is toying with a switch.

#24 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

... harsh: I did say that using zoom  to fill screen degrades PQ even more, but PQ is also degraded when the horizontal bars are present. When horizontal bars are present "stretch" and "smart stretch" are not functioning and the only way to fill screen is zoom (double whamy on PQ). The main point is that prior to yesterday both lcd tvs had full screen display using 16:9 with stretch and very good SD picture. The bars appeared and PQ simultaneously degraded. While posting here yesterday, I looked over and everything was back to normal, full screen and good SD picture. Five minutes later both TV's were back to horizontal bars, degraded picture and loss of stretch function. I don't think I can explain this any clearer. Since this happened on both tvs that were connected to the same receiver I assumed it was the receiver or DTV had modified SD signal and that was what I was trying to determine. When both sets returned to "normal" functioning and picture for 5 minutes I am going to assume its the receiver or else someone at DTV is toying with a switch.

Now I'm totally puzzled by this;

The sudden appearance of the horizontal matte bars when the program is not in letter-box and subsequent fall in PQ is one thing.

But to disable the TV's stretch screen modes in the process? :confused:  

If a full reset on the box doesn't help then its time for a service call and a receiver swap.     

Edited by HoTat2, 09 July 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Tune to Game Show Network (GSN) channel 233.  This channel is NOT in HD (and 99% of their shows were never filmed in HD).  It is ONLY available on the 101 satellite in SD.

If you have black bars on the screen of your SD TV there is something wrong with YOUR setup.  I watch this channel all the time (Yay "Password" with Bert Convy!!) on my SD tube-type TV being fed by an R15 (SD) DVR and there are NO BARS and the picture fills the entire screen.

If you have black bars on this channel, I suggest you go to the MENU and choose SETUP and RESET EVERYTHING.  Before you do this, make sure you know what kind of satellite dish you have because you will need to do the "satellite setup" after doing this.

If after doing this you still are having problems, there is something going on with your TV set and it's not DirecTV's problem.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#26 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Tune to Game Show Network (GSN) channel 233.  This channel is NOT in HD (and 99% of their shows were never filmed in HD).  It is ONLY available on the 101 satellite in SD. ...

Ironic you would post this right at the beginning of two shows on GSN that were originally recorded in HD.  !rolling 

Two 2012 shows of Family Feud with host Steve Harvey ....

Anyway, it's showing as 4:3 full center-cut and thus in pillar box on my HDTV connected a Genie.  

#27 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Ironic you would post this right at the beginning of two shows on GSN that were originally recorded in HD.  !rolling 

Two 2012 shows of Family Feud with host Steve Harvey ....

Anyway, it's showing as 4:3 full center-cut and thus in pillar box on my HDTV connected a Genie.  

The thread starter has an SD box and an SD TV set-not a Genie and an HDTV.  And yes, there are a few (VERY few) programs on GSN that are recent and were filmed in HD but they are so few the channel itself is transmitted in SD.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#28 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

The thread starter has an SD box and an SD TV set-not a Genie and an HDTV.  And yes, there are a few (VERY few) programs on GSN that are recent and were filmed in HD but they are so few the channel itself is transmitted in SD.

The remark about the irony of two upcomming programs on GSN originally recorded in HD at the time of your post was just meant in fun ThomasM;  :engel08: 

But anyway, your statement about the TS' setup is not totally correct. The TS actually has two HDTV's, a Sharp and a Vizio, connected to a D12 receiver via its S and composite video outputs.

And I know he doesn't have a Genie, but was still working with him to see if the issue he was seeing with the black bars with degraded PQ is on DIRECTV's end or his. Since if were on DIRECTV's side I should see it as well, Genie or not.

Addendum:

You stated above;

... And yes, there are a few (VERY few) programs on GSN that are recent and were filmed in HD but they are so few the channel itself is transmitted in SD.

Were you referring to only DIRECTV's transmission of GSN in SD?

Because I noticed another poster in the HD anticipation thread write that GSN actually does have an HD feed which is carried by some cable companies.   

http://www.dbstalk.c...read/?p=3155974

Edited by HoTat2, 10 July 2013 - 09:15 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...