Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WebTV/MSN TV shutting down

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,893 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

In case anyone knows someone still using this service, it's shutting down at the end of September.

http://www.msntv.com...ureFAQ.asp#faq1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Too  bad for old people.  I paid my late mother's Web/MSNTV subscription for a decade ($23/mo., as I recall) because it was absolutely goof-proof and, on a twisted pair, didn't give her information any faster than she could assimilate it.  There were times when I was tempted to get her on broadband, but then, when I would think of how many times a day I command my computer to do something but it doesn't do it, I just knew I would be getting daily phonecalls from her if she had a regular internet service like mine.

Edited by AntAltMike, 07 July 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,474 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

$23 a month??  Surely not. . .

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

AOL was maybe $25 or $26 a month back then...

And don't call me Shirley!

Edited by AntAltMike, 07 July 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,893 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

And there was something to be said for extremely simple, no need to update software etc. 

I've lately been tempted to get my father a Chromebook. My mother is the one with the computer knowledge. I tried to get him to get off Lycos webmail, he insisted that any email address had to be his real name for his online banking.

Fortunately I can just use a Logmein rescue account and get into their systems to fix things.

#6 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Flood of memories for me. I purchased a Philips Web TV unit 16 years ago month before last. For what it was and the time frame I used it, it was a perfect fit. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I was delaying the inevitable so I did pick up my first PC, Win 98 SE.

For those who are looking at a comparable low-cost Internet device to replace Web/MSN TV, I'd recommend the Google TV devices. Of course dial-up is no longer an option, thank God. I have to admit seeing the announcement here did cause a flood of nostalgia, like looking up the log-in vid on YouTube: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=N-sVbegqvxg, but as far as pining for it again the way some over-the-top posters say they do, no way!

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#7 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Flood of memories for me. I purchased a Philips Web TV unit 16 years ago month before last. For what it was and the time frame I used it, it was a perfect fit. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I was delaying the inevitable so I did pick up my first PC, Win 98 SE.

For those who are looking at a comparable low-cost Internet device to replace Web/MSN TV, I'd recommend the Google TV devices. Of course dial-up is no longer an option, thank God. I have to admit seeing the announcement here did cause a flood of nostalgia, like looking up the log-in vid on YouTube: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=N-sVbegqvxg, but as far as pining for it again the way some over-the-top posters say they do, no way!

i thought webtv/msn shut down years ago.  but i got a philips webtv unit back in october 1997.  thought it was the greatest thing id ever seen.  if i wasnt working, i was online.  watching that video sure brought back some memories.  i used webtv for about 2yrs then i got my first pc.  compaq with compuserve internet deal.  massive 6gb hdd and 64mb ram for $800 as long as i used compuserve for 1yr.   webtv was a good way to get online, it was safe and idiot proof.   i remember getting all excited when they would announce an "upgrade" which consisted of a new start screen and a spell check. lol   ....oh and what memories from talkcity chat & decorating your email with html graphics.    this type of service is what my parents need.  i got them a computer but it gives them fits.  atleast i get to talk to them on a daily "help me" basis :-)

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

Appreciate the heads up here.  I know one 'sweet old thing' still on the service.  She won't be happy, but at least her kids have time to get everything saved.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...