Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Out of home access won't work with GenieGo, and in home streaming pauses every two seconds!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pinkribbonangel

pinkribbonangel

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have tried everything, Directv has no clue. I can stream netfix, youtube, everything fine, but Directv GenieGo pauses every few seconds. Also We cannot get it to work with the out of home access. Have all the latest versions, added the ports on my router. Doesn't work. Help. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk!

Can you give us a little more info on your setup? Tell us what Internet service you have along with what router you are using.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   pinkribbonangel

pinkribbonangel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yes, Windstream is my ISP. We have DSL. 12 mps download 750 upload. We have a Belkin N router modelF5D8236-4 v2 (01) We also have the DSL modem with a built in wireless router (which we do not connect to or use as it's slower than N)

#4 OFFLINE   pinkribbonangel

pinkribbonangel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

The pausing only happens on directv, not on youtube, netflix, not on any of the networks streaming...only directv geniego. Tried everything with the out of home access as well. Doesn't work.

Says it's set up correctly.

Edited by pinkribbonangel, 07 July 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,174 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Yes, Windstream is my ISP. We have DSL. 12 mps download 750 upload. We have a Belkin N router modelF5D8236-4 v2 (01) We also have the DSL modem with a built in wireless router (which we do not connect to or use as it's slower than N)

that is what is killing you

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   pinkribbonangel

pinkribbonangel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

We are in a monopoly, They won't let anyone else get our internet. Besides, I am not uploading, I am downloading.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

We are in a monopoly, They won't let anyone else get our internet. Besides, I am not uploading, I am downloading.

When you're trying to view content "out of home", the GenieGo is indeed uploading to the Internet.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,531 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

I have tried everything, Directv has no clue. I can stream netfix, youtube, everything fine, but Directv GenieGo pauses every few seconds. Also We cannot get it to work with the out of home access. Have all the latest versions, added the ports on my router. Doesn't work. Help. Thanks

Pausing while in-home streaming is an issue inside your home network, and has nothing to do with your available upload speed to the internet. In-home streaming depends on the connectivity between the HRs, the GenieGo device and your wifi client device. Same with your client's OOH check. If that check doesn't pass while your client is on your home network, it's not going to work when you're out of home.

RE: the 750kbps upload speed. When you finally get the client configured, it may be adequate for OOH streaming at a reduced picture quality. OOH streaming adapts to the connection speed, and I'm pretty sure a clean 750Kbps is OK at the low end. Maximum quality is achieved at about 1.25Mbps.

/steve

#9 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,797 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

Some questions about the tolpology of your in-home network:

What is directly connected to the Belkin?  Switches (how many and what type)?  Devices (Roku, DirecTV DVRs, Cinema Connection Kit, PCs, etc.)?

If you have one or more switches, how are they connected? (To each other, directly to the router, etc.)

What wireless devices are in use?

How is the Belkin attached to DSL modem/router? (DMZ, passthrough, subnet, etc.)

What are you using to playback the GenieGo content?  (PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc.)  How is it connected to the LAN?

Pausing during playback is a symptom of bandwidth starvation.  For some reason, the GenieGo client is not getting data fast enough from the GenieGo device to maintain a steady video playback.  Somewhere in the network you are losing bandwidth.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#10 OFFLINE   baffoon11

baffoon11

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

My GenieGO out of home was working fine until I upgraded my wireless router.  I now have the Apple Time Capsule.  The in home streaming works fine, but I cannot get the out of home to work.  It says "test failed".  I believe I have all of the port forwarding set up properly.  Any help would be appreciated.

#11 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,797 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

How did you set up Port Forwarding? What ports did you forward? Are you sure you have the IP address of the GenieGo set correctly in the port forwarding configuration?

See this page for Time Capsule "Port Mapping" : http://must-know-mac...me-capsule.html

The "Private address" you would enter is the ip address of your GenieGo. The port numbers you'd need to map are 8082 and 8083.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

My GenieGO out of home was working fine until I upgraded my wireless router.  I now have the Apple Time Capsule.  The in home streaming works fine, but I cannot get the out of home to work.  It says "test failed".  I believe I have all of the port forwarding set up properly.  Any help would be appreciated.

Are you running a Mac or WIndows?  What is the version of your Airport Utility?  I have the newer Airport Extreme and set up was supper easy.  Let me know as I can "walk" you through

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   pinkribbonangel

pinkribbonangel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

that is what is killing you

I am downloading not uploading.

#14 OFFLINE   pinkribbonangel

pinkribbonangel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

How did you set up Port Forwarding? What ports did you forward? Are you sure you have the IP address of the GenieGo set correctly in the port forwarding configuration?

See this page for Time Capsule "Port Mapping" : http://must-know-mac...me-capsule.html

The "Private address" you would enter is the ip address of your GenieGo. The port numbers you'd need to map are 8082 and 8083.

My GenieGo stopped working over my network today. I was on the phone with DTV for over an hour. They cannot figure it out, either can I. My router keeps resigning ip addresses to my genie and geniego, but I then go into my router and update the ip addresses and open the ports. Three blue lights on and genie is connected online. I don't know what else to do. Now not only does out of home not work, in home doesn't work either. :(

Edited by pinkribbonangel, 09 July 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   baffoon11

baffoon11

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Are you running a Mac or WIndows? What is the version of your Airport Utility? I have the newer Airport Extreme and set up was supper easy. Let me know as I can "walk" you through

I am new to this, so I hope I'm doing this properly. I am running it on a Mac. I have the newest version of the Apple time capsule. I believe it only came out in the last few weeks.

#16 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,797 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

My GenieGo stopped working over my network today. I was on the phone with DTV for over an hour. They cannot figure it out, either can I. My router keeps resigning ip addresses to my genie and geniego, but I then go into my router and update the ip addresses and open the ports. Three blue lights on and genie is connected online. I don't know what else to do. Now not only does out of home not work, in home doesn't work either. :(

I strongly suggest that the GenieGo be assigned a reserved IP address (I don't know of any way to set a fixed IP address on the GenieGo).  This is usually on the same page were you set other DHCP parameters in the router configuration.

Can you connect to the GenieGo at all?  If not, try a hard reset of the GenieGo.

What GenieGo client(s) are you using?

Current setup:

#17 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,797 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

I am downloading not uploading.

When you are trying to watch from OOH, you are uploading...the data is flowing from your GenieGo UP to the internet and then down to the remote client.  I am skeptical of getting OOH to work on any link less than 1Mbit per second.

Current setup:

#18 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,844 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

I strongly suggest that the GenieGo be assigned a reserved IP address (I don't know of any way to set a fixed IP address on the GenieGo).  This is usually on the same page were you set other DHCP parameters in the router configuration.

Can you connect to the GenieGo at all?  If not, try a hard reset of the GenieGo.

What GenieGo client(s) are you using?

I agree with Diana C.  Best thing to do is reserve an IP address.  Your router may call it a Reservation.

And if the router is constantly assigning addresses to everything, you should be sure the lease period is set to the maximum allowed by the router.   It will be in xx seconds.  The online help screen should tell you the max value.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

I am new to this, so I hope I'm doing this properly. I am running it on a Mac. I have the newest version of the Apple time capsule. I believe it only came out in the last few weeks.

This router is supper easy to set up, 

1. Open your Airport utility

2. Click on your Time Capsule and click on "edit"

3. Click on the "network" tab

4. under "DHCP Reservations" click the "+" sign

5. under "description" type GenieGo 

6. Reserve by "Mac Address"

7. Enter the Mac addy of the GenieGo (make sure the IP address of the GenieGo is OUTSIDE the DHCP pool range

8. click "save"

9. under port settings click the"+" sign

10. Description "GenieGo"

11. Public TCP ports "8082"

12 Private IP address "enter here the GenieGo IP addy

13.Private IP address "8082"

14. leave the rest of fields blank

15. Save

16.under port settings click the"+" sign

17. Repeat 10 to 15 but enter 8083

18 update your time capsule

19. ENJOY!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   baffoon11

baffoon11

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

This router is supper easy to set up,

1. Open your Airport utility
2. Click on your Time Capsule and click on "edit"
3. Click on the "network" tab
4. under "DHCP Reservations" click the "+" sign
5. under "description" type GenieGo
6. Reserve by "Mac Address"
7. Enter the Mac addy of the GenieGo (make sure the IP address of the GenieGo is OUTSIDE the DHCP pool range
8. click "save"
9. under port settings click the"+" sign
10. Description "GenieGo"
11. Public TCP ports "8082"
12 Private IP address "enter here the GenieGo IP addy
13.Private IP address "8082"
14. leave the rest of fields blank
15. Save
16.under port settings click the"+" sign
17. Repeat 10 to 15 but enter 8083
18 update your time capsule
19. ENJOY!

I have all of these correct except that the GenieGo is WITHIN the DHCP range. How do I change that? The range is 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200 and the GenieGo IP ends with 104

spam firewall