Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Out of home access won't work with GenieGo, and in home streaming pauses every two seconds!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   pinkribbonangel

pinkribbonangel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

OK Got the GenieGo to boot up again.The app on my iphone and my son's vista pc can watch the list. (still pausing a bit) Well my pc HP Pavilion G7-1310us (6 gigs ram 600 HD, win 7) GenieGo app will not work any longer. The app has been uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted, re-downloaded. nothing works. Narrowed down the pausing to the dvr they stream from. If they stream from Genie HDDvr44, they play on my computers, iphone via GenieGo fine (except my HP which the app is not working currently) When I stream from my HD DVR HR20-700 it pauses on my other tv's (via whole home) and pauses on the apps on my pc's and iphone. When I stream from my HR24, it plays fine on the (whole home) other tv's but pauses on the pc's and iphone. When I stream from the main Genie (whole home) it plays fine on all tv's. Also the main Genie streams and plays fine without pausing on my iphone and pc's. There is an issue with hardware here. They are sending me a new DVR to replace the HR20, but I don't think that's the problem. I still also don't know why I can't get the app to see the GenieGo on my HP pavilion. It worked for two weeks then stopped two days ago for no reason. HELP!

PS: Not to mention my original post that "the out of home access", is still not working!

Edited by pinkribbonangel, 10 July 2013 - 09:34 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

I have all of these correct except that the GenieGo is WITHIN the DHCP range. How do I change that? The range is 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200 and the GenieGo IP ends with 104

When setting a DHCP Reservation, the IP address should be somewhere within the DHCP range specified by the router. In your case, 10.1.2.104 should work fine.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#23 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

From a PC Ping 10.0.1.201   If you get no response, it's vacant.  You can use any un-used address between 201 and 254.

There should also be a place to reduce the DHCP pool.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#24 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

I have all of these correct except that the GenieGo is WITHIN the DHCP range. How do I change that? The range is 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200 and the GenieGo IP ends with 104

In step 7, change your GenieGo IP address to .201 or above.

That said, it should work fine the way it is. Since you're asking the router to reserve an IP (as opposed to assigning a static IP on the device itself), the router's DHCP logic knows not try to assign that address to another device.

/steve

#25 OFFLINE   baffoon11

baffoon11

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

I have all of the settings correct and updated the IP addy to 201 and it still says test failed. I must be missing something. Very frustrating. The in home streaming works fine.

Thanks for any help.

#26 OFFLINE   pblhd

pblhd

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

Is the reason to have the GenieGO ip address outside of the normal range to prevent an accidental conflict within the home network?

I too have it working fine from within my home network, the Out-of-Home check passes it's test, but haven't been able to connect from outside.

Could my work be blocking ports to prevent this from working?

#27 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Is the reason to have the GenieGO ip address outside of the normal range to prevent an accidental conflict within the home network?

I too have it working fine from within my home network, the Out-of-Home check passes it's test, but haven't been able to connect from outside.

Could my work be blocking ports to prevent this from working?

As I stated, if you use DHCP Reservations, the assigned IP address should be within the DHCP pool. It's when setting a static IP address on a device that you want to use an IP address outside of the DHCP pool so that there is not a conflict with the router assigning an IP address to another device that ends up being the same as what you assigned the static IP.

It is possible that work is blocking certain ports. The way I usually test OOH connectivity is to do it via a cell connection. While it won't allow playback of video, you should still be able to connect and see your PlayList.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#28 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

1) Unless I've missed it all these months, there is NO WAY to assign a static IP address on the GenieGo.  You MUST use DHCP.

2) Given #1, the only way to ensure that the GenieGo always has the same IP address (so that port forwarding will work) is by MAC address reservation (be VERY sure that you enter the MAC address correctly if your router doesn't do so automatically...MAC addresses are hexidecimal and so contain the digits 0 through 9 and the letters A through F).

3) If all the connectivity tests pass and you still can not connect from outside, then the remote network (where the Client is) is most likely blocking ports 8082 and/or 8083.

4) If the last connectivity test (#7) does not pass, then local access will work but OOH will not.  If you have your router configured correctly, the problem might be anti-virus or firewall software on your PC.

5) If any other connectivity tests fail, you may have anti-virus or firewall software that is blocking either the ports or the connection type.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#29 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

OK Got the GenieGo to boot up again.The app on my iphone and my son's vista pc can watch the list. (still pausing a bit) Well my pc HP Pavilion G7-1310us (6 gigs ram 600 HD, win 7) GenieGo app will not work any longer. The app has been uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted, re-downloaded. nothing works. Narrowed down the pausing to the dvr they stream from. If they stream from Genie HDDvr44, they play on my computers, iphone via GenieGo fine (except my HP which the app is not working currently) When I stream from my HD DVR HR20-700 it pauses on my other tv's (via whole home) and pauses on the apps on my pc's and iphone. When I stream from my HR24, it plays fine on the (whole home) other tv's but pauses on the pc's and iphone. When I stream from the main Genie (whole home) it plays fine on all tv's. Also the main Genie streams and plays fine without pausing on my iphone and pc's. There is an issue with hardware here. They are sending me a new DVR to replace the HR20, but I don't think that's the problem. I still also don't know why I can't get the app to see the GenieGo on my HP pavilion. It worked for two weeks then stopped two days ago for no reason. HELP!

PS: Not to mention my original post that "the out of home access", is still not working!

This indicates reduced bandwidth somewhere in your network.  Based on the symptoms, I'm going to bet that the Genie is bridging the LAN and the coax.  This indicates a problem on the coaxial network.  Are all the splitters green label?  Are all unused ports terminated?  On the Genie or the HR24 press the guide and right arrow keys simultaneously and select "Coax".  Report the contents of that screen.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#30 OFFLINE   baffoon11

baffoon11

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

When setting a DHCP Reservation, the IP address should be somewhere within the DHCP range specified by the router. In your case, 10.1.2.104 should work fine.

- Merg

I was told that the IP address should be outside of the range. I've tried it both ways and continue to get "test failed". The in home streaming works fine.

Thanks.

#31 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

Also check the upstream modem or 'gateway' modem / router.  Many of these need their ports directed to the WAN address of your router or the device placed in a 'Bridge' mode or DMZ.  Routers behind a Router usually aren't a good idea but many of the new modems / gateways are really routers.

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

See screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• DHCP 1.jpeg

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   baffoon11

baffoon11

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

See screenshot

I believe I've set up mine the same way, but it still won't work. I don't have the guest range like yours though. Would that have anything to do with it? I've attached a picture.

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1373602205.739524.jpg

#34 OFFLINE   baffoon11

baffoon11

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

I finally figured it out! My xfinity home security router was causing a double NAT conflict. I reconfigured the router to run through my Time Capsule and it now works! Thanks for everyone's help!

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   pblhd

pblhd

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

for time capsule users - did you discover anything else extraordinary to get it to work?  I tried using the IP address inside and outside of the acceptable range - no luck in either case.  

PS - the network assistant reports tests 1 & 2 passed, 3 to 6 failed.

I've run out of things to try - running old Motorola 4200 cable modem - no useful config options so I don't think its a double NAT issue.

thanks in advance for any help!

#37 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

The ISP could have those ports blocked.  Shouldn't, but could.  I think most of the other problems are from double NAT - works for browsing and email, but not much else.  This is typical from the dsl/cable isp providing a modem / gateway / router and the adding the customer router.

In most cases, you can set the isp's device to a transparent bridge, or set a dmz that will pass everything.  I've seen some that insist on doing NAT with no other options.

OOH isn't going to work until ports 8082/8083 are open from end to end.

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

for time capsule users - did you discover anything else extraordinary to get it to work?  I tried using the IP address inside and outside of the acceptable range - no luck in either case.  

PS - the network assistant reports tests 1 & 2 passed, 3 to 6 failed.

I've run out of things to try - running old Motorola 4200 cable modem - no useful config options so I don't think its a double NAT issue.

I recently reverted to my old Motorola 4221 VOIP modem to try to troubleshoot another issue I'm having. Prior to that I was using a Vonage VDV23. I had no trouble configuring the Moto for OOH access. I attached screen grabs of the rule I created.

One tip. Confirm your GenieGo device is actually using the IP you think you reserved for it. Check it by running the Genie Go client and clicking "?", and "System Info". When I first assigned the static IP, it didn't "take" and it took me a minute to realize why I wasn't passing the OOH test.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rule Detail.jpg
  • Selected Rule.jpg

/steve

#39 OFFLINE   killerdc

killerdc

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

I am unable to connect outside of the house either.  When they first came and installed it, it took them 3 technicians and hours on end to get it to even show up on my in network app.  That was July 6th.  Since that day, I have never been able to see it from outside the home.  Also, when they first came to install, I had ATT DSL with the 2Wire 2701HG-B modem/router.  Since then I have updated to Uverse and now have a 2Wire I38HG.  The issue that I have is the same however.  I can see all of my recorded shows when I am on my own network, but cannot get my laptop, tablet, phones, etc... to see the geniego from outside the home.  

I have spent over 20 hours since July 6th on the phone with Directv's escalation department.  Every few days I am assigned a new PIN number and get a call back from the same guy over and over.  

I have port forwarded to what was set inside the Geniego, I believe it is 8090 and 8091.   Can't be 100% sure, but whatever is listed in the Geniego software, I went to the 2wire setup and set 2 specific port forwarding deals named Geniego and geniego2 and did exactly as the instructions mandated.  I checked the IP address in the geniego software and specifically assigned that IP address in the 2wire set up so that it would not assign another ip address.  Still can't get in, and the guys over at tech support keep wanting me to go into my work router to see if that has some sort of block on it preventing me from getting in.  They never listen to what I tell them.  I tell them that I cannot connect from ANYWHERE.  I don't care if it's McDonald's or Starbucks, or any open wifi hotspot, or my 2 different office routers, I am not able to get in, even though the Geniego says Out of Home access is set up and good to go.

Anyone else have an issue?  Or can you help me with mine?

#40 OFFLINE   pinkribbonangel

pinkribbonangel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

Exactly the same issue here. I have configured the ports on router for the genie go and also on my DSL Modem.router and still does not work. I too get a call every few days from the same guy with a pin number good for a few days. Very frustrating.

I am unable to connect outside of the house either.  When they first came and installed it, it took them 3 technicians and hours on end to get it to even show up on my in network app.  That was July 6th.  Since that day, I have never been able to see it from outside the home.  Also, when they first came to install, I had ATT DSL with the 2Wire 2701HG-B modem/router.  Since then I have updated to Uverse and now have a 2Wire I38HG.  The issue that I have is the same however.  I can see all of my recorded shows when I am on my own network, but cannot get my laptop, tablet, phones, etc... to see the geniego from outside the home.  

I have spent over 20 hours since July 6th on the phone with Directv's escalation department.  Every few days I am assigned a new PIN number and get a call back from the same guy over and over.  

I have port forwarded to what was set inside the Geniego, I believe it is 8090 and 8091.   Can't be 100% sure, but whatever is listed in the Geniego software, I went to the 2wire setup and set 2 specific port forwarding deals named Geniego and geniego2 and did exactly as the instructions mandated.  I checked the IP address in the geniego software and specifically assigned that IP address in the 2wire set up so that it would not assign another ip address.  Still can't get in, and the guys over at tech support keep wanting me to go into my work router to see if that has some sort of block on it preventing me from getting in.  They never listen to what I tell them.  I tell them that I cannot connect from ANYWHERE.  I don't care if it's McDonald's or Starbucks, or any open wifi hotspot, or my 2 different office routers, I am not able to get in, even though the Geniego says Out of Home access is set up and good to go.

Anyone else have an issue?  Or can you help me with mine?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...