Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Out of home access won't work with GenieGo, and in home streaming pauses every two seconds!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

I am unable to connect outside of the house either.  When they first came and installed it, it took them 3 technicians and hours on end to get it to even show up on my in network app.  That was July 6th.  Since that day, I have never been able to see it from outside the home.  Also, when they first came to install, I had ATT DSL with the 2Wire 2701HG-B modem/router.  Since then I have updated to Uverse and now have a 2Wire I38HG.  The issue that I have is the same however.  I can see all of my recorded shows when I am on my own network, but cannot get my laptop, tablet, phones, etc... to see the geniego from outside the home.  

Anyone else have an issue?  Or can you help me with mine?

I can help you with the i38hg. That's what's blocking those ports.  You need to forward them to the public internet.  First let me warn you, its a pain in the butt.    Sometimes you have to SAVE the settings multiple times before they stay.  And you need the i38hg password.  

You will log into the i38hg via 192.168.1.254

Go to Settings/Broadband section and write down your public IP address

Go to the Firewall section

Go to the Pinhole subsection

Select Home system (careful this one I missed first few tries, be sure to select it )

Go and ADD a Nomad Application

Once you are there you need the PW to go further and save it.

Forward the ports 8082 and 8083 to the Pubic IP address.

Save it.

You should then be able to go to the Firewall/status screen and see the attached screenshot.

Its very odd that you must forward to the Public address here and I don't have a static address but this has worked flawlessly for a while.

BTW I have a separate Netgear router attached and for that I had to forward the ports to the Nomad Reserved DHCP reservation.  Strange combination but it works.  If you have a separate router, you need to get both right.

Good luck

Attached Thumbnails

• I38HG.JPG

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   killerdc

killerdc

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

I can help you with the i38hg. That's what's blocking those ports.  You need to forward them to the public internet.  First let me warn you, its a pain in the butt.    Sometimes you have to SAVE the settings multiple times before they stay.  And you need the i38hg password.  

You will log into the i38hg via 192.168.1.254

Go to Settings/Broadband section and write down your public IP address

Go to the Firewall section

Go to the Pinhole subsection

Select Home system (careful this one I missed first few tries, be sure to select it )

Go and ADD a Nomad Application

Once you are there you need the PW to go further and save it.

Forward the ports 8082 and 8083 to the Pubic IP address.

Save it.

You should then be able to go to the Firewall/status screen and see the attached screenshot.

Its very odd that you must forward to the Public address here and I don't have a static address but this has worked flawlessly for a while.

BTW I have a separate Netgear router attached and for that I had to forward the ports to the Nomad Reserved DHCP reservation.  Strange combination but it works.  If you have a separate router, you need to get both right.

Good luck

I did all of that, with both of the router/modem combo's I had, or at least I thought I did.  

I will have to check on the home system thing when I get home though.  I am not sure about that one.  And since you are sure to point that out, I may not have done so.  But nonetheless, I port forwarded the two ports on two separate pinhole exceptions, but it still will not work.  The guy at tech support called again last night and told me to uninstall the entire setup and start over and do a 30 sec. reboot of the Geniego.  Well in doing that, all it did was change the port numbers.  So I had to go in again and add two additional port forwarding sections.  If I was at home right now I would post a pic of what mine looks like but it looks nearly identical to what you have.  

Once that is done, is there anything special I have to do from outside the home to connect?  I have been able to see everything inside the house, but when I get to work, nothing.  

The question I have is this, Under System Info on my phone, when I am here at work, shows the proper IP address that is assigned to my GenieGo, and the Serial number is correct, but network has what looks like 2 different ports that are nowhere close to what I have ported.  I will likely get another call tonight, as I am about to call them from work and see what they tell me, then wait to hear back from them at home.  The frustrating thing about all of this is that I cannot check it from the house.  Everything works in the house.  I have to go somewhere with wireless just to check it.  HAHA.  I should be reimbursed for all this hassle. 

It's looking like I am going to have to go purchase a whole separate router by itself to get this to work at all.  I am losing faith in the directv tech support guys on this.  None of them seem to have any idea what is going on.  

Edited by killerdc, 01 August 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Did you get through, completely, the DIRECTV web page where you set this up? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#44 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

I did all of that, with both of the router/modem combo's I had, or at least I thought I did.
I will have to check on the home system thing when I get home though. I am not sure about that one. And since you are sure to point that out, I may not have done so. But nonetheless, I port forwarded the two ports on two separate pinhole exceptions, but it still will not work. The guy at tech support called again last night and told me to uninstall the entire setup and start over and do a 30 sec. reboot of the Geniego. Well in doing that, all it did was change the port numbers. So I had to go in again and add two additional port forwarding sections. If I was at home right now I would post a pic of what mine looks like but it looks nearly identical to what you have.

Once that is done, is there anything special I have to do from outside the home to connect? I have been able to see everything inside the house, but when I get to work, nothing.

The question I have is this, Under System Info on my phone, when I am here at work, shows the proper IP address that is assigned to my GenieGo, and the Serial number is correct, but network has what looks like 2 different ports that are nowhere close to what I have ported. I will likely get another call tonight, as I am about to call them from work and see what they tell me, then wait to hear back from them at home. The frustrating thing about all of this is that I cannot check it from the house. Everything works in the house. I have to go somewhere with wireless just to check it. HAHA. I should be reimbursed for all this hassle.

It's looking like I am going to have to go purchase a whole separate router by itself to get this to work at all. I am losing faith in the directv tech support guys on this. None of them seem to have any idea what is going on.

If you can, what I do to see if OOH will even connect is to turn off Wifi on my phone so that I am on a cell connection in my house. I then try out the app. Everything should work up to the point of physically trying to stream a recording at which point you will be told that you need to by on Wifi.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#45 OFFLINE   killerdc

killerdc

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

Ok, here is what my main list looks like, and my pinhole exception page. 

I didn't see anything that was listed as home system.

If I did this wrong, let me know.

Attached Thumbnails

• firewall1.jpg
  • firewall.jpg

#46 OFFLINE   killerdc

killerdc

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

If you can, what I do to see if OOH will even connect is to turn off Wifi on my phone so that I am on a cell connection in my house. I then try out the app. Everything should work up to the point of physically trying to stream a recording at which point you will be told that you need to by on Wifi.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Tried it, and it would not connect without my wifi.  But it will connect with Wifi.

Edited by killerdc, 01 August 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Did you get through, completely, the DIRECTV web page where you set this up? 

??

#48 OFFLINE   pjr99

pjr99

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

Good Afternoon.........

Just joined this forum and cannot start a topic.  Thought I would post my Q here..........

Just had DirecTV installec, Genie HDR44 w/2 remotes.  Connected it to my Wifi network and it appears to be connected.

Problem:

The DirecTV iPad app cannot see my Receiver.  DirecTV Tech Support attempted to help.  Their solution was to call my ISP, Comcast, and and ask them to open up the ports necessary for DirecTV.  Prob is, DTV Supt does not know what the ports are.  Also, I would imagine that this should not be a problem.

Any thoughts on this?  Your help is greatly appreciated.......

Phil R

#49 OFFLINE   pjr99

pjr99

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

Never mind..........turns out that U-verse was corrupting my Wireless Network.  Disconnected ALL U-verse equipment, re-discovered the Wireless NW on my DVR and ALL is well.  The iPad app works splendidly.

Thx,

Phil R

#50 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

heh! All that before you could even be acknowledged here. Welcome!

So, you have both Comcast and U-Verse? 

#51 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

And welcome to DBSTalk!

- Merg

#52 OFFLINE   killerdc

killerdc

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Ok, so after more than a full month of back and forth on the phone with advanced customer support, it was told to me that the Android app is not capable of doing out of home access yet.  I brought my laptop home from work and set it up in home first, and took it back to work today and all worked great with that, so what it comes down too is that my android phone and tablet are not able to do out of home access yet.  GEEEEEEZZZZ, really?  It took them an entire month to let me know that?  I literally spent over 20 hours on the phone with probably a dozen different techs trying to figure out why it was not working and was told some of the most outrageous things I have ever heard.  I am a chiropractor and I can guarantee I know more than half the people that I spoke too.   I had one guy tell me that the notes indicated that client education was needed, because the Geniego was not capable of streaming DVR content outside the home.  I asked him if he was serious, as I was laughing and he clearly was serious.  I legitimately seemed shocked that you COULD stream recorded shows from outside the home.  Nonetheless, if you have an android you are trying to connect outside the home, and it works, please let me know how, otherwise, it looks like the Android app is not up to par yet.    Not sure if this helps or if it's all just bs from Directv, guess you guys can tell me.

If it is really the case, I can guarantee I will be calling DirecTv and getting something back in return for all the wasted hours of my life I cannot get back.  HAHA.

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Well, you might have reached the conclusion you did in a lot less time here. But there's no new service we can give you for free.

#54 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Well, looks like I might have long night ahead of me but hopefully not. I had the Genie HR44 and Genie Go installed today. This was the first Genie Go tech had tried to install. I am able to play recorded items on my computer and smartphone while on network. During setup I passed every connectivity test. I could not set up Out of Home. I did go in manually and set up Single Port Forwarding to 8082 and 8083. I did notice that Port Range Forwarding was automatically added. Not sure if I should uncheck enable boxes for Port Range Forwarding . I also called my ISP. Problem there is I do not  use the Uverse Modem/Router they gave me. I simply use my Linksys WRT610N router. ATT tech was kind enough to go in and make sure 8082 and 8083 port were setup and not blocked.

Will do some searching tonight and try to figure out setup for OOH.

#55 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Take your time! There have been a couple of gotcha's recently on GenieGo, and there maybe a time lag before GenieGo is all ready to go on a new network. Meantime, enjoy your receivers, and check out a couple of threads. 

#56 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

Take your time! There have been a couple of gotcha's recently on GenieGo, and there maybe a time lag before GenieGo is all ready to go on a new network. Meantime, enjoy your receivers, and check out a couple of threads. 

I agree. Talked to someone with Slingbox today. He said that when he got his he had to call to activate it. They remotely accessed his desktop and set  up Port Forwarding, etc for him. I will spend some time with Directv tech support tonight. I just happened to get someone who had never installed a GenieGo yet. Thankfully this forum is filled with so much info and resources to help.

#57 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

If Port Range Forwarding is set up, you don't need the single port forwarding. Just make sure that the IP address listed is that for your GenieGo.

As for the AT&T modem, if that has a setting for port forwarding, be sure that it is set up in there too..

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#58 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

If Port Range Forwarding is set up, you don't need the single port forwarding. Just make sure that the IP address listed is that for your GenieGo.

As for the AT&T modem, if that has a setting for port forwarding, be sure that it is set up in there too..

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Thanks. I will try that. It set up range but since it did not work I followed Directv directions on their website for my router. It said to set up Single Port Forwarding specifically for 8082 and 8083. I have tried both configurations and OOH has not worked yet. I do not have ATT modem plugged in. Not sure if I even access that since not in use. I did call ATT and had them manually set up Port Forwarding for 8082 and 8083 just in case.

I simply followed directions for my Linksys router and did put in IP address listed for GenieGo. Tech support last night was no help. She could not even find anything in her notes regarding Ouf of Home access set up. I will call back later today and try with someone else. Little bit at a loss right now but will work through options. Even tried by turning off security temporarily just in case firewall was issue. That did not solve either.

Edited by ttown, 13 August 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#59 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

You're more likely to get it solved here than frustrating time on the phone. There are a number of experts on this sort of thing here; Merg is one of them. 

I am unclear if you have reserved an IP address for your GenieGo.... on the router that's in use. So, is U-verse your ISP? If so, it's nice to know one can use a third party modem and router. Surprised, pleasantly.

#60 OFFLINE   ttown

ttown

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

You're more likely to get it solved here than frustrating time on the phone. There are a number of experts on this sort of thing here; Merg is one of them. 

I am unclear if you have reserved an IP address for your GenieGo.... on the router that's in use. So, is U-verse your ISP? If so, it's nice to know one can use a third party modem and router. Surprised, pleasantly.

Thanks for input. Yes, Merg has been tremendous help. I did reserve IP address for GenieGo with Linksys router and did port forwarding correct within Linksys router.

U-verse is my ISP. I had my house wired from phone box outside with ethernet to one of my jacks in house. The ATT install tech simply plugged ethernet directly into my Linksys and said I did not have to use 2Wire.

Update - I am not using the 2Wire modem (in storage) and have GenieGo wired to Linksys router. I decided to try to change my router during setup to 2Wire (even though that is not in use) and setup was successful. I have to test after download is finished with wireless turned off on phone to make sure works but made major step forward tonight.

Edited by ttown, 14 August 2013 - 06:39 AM.

spam firewall