Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone have exp with AT&T Uverse? I may have to switch

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Given DTV's lack of progress providing NBC Sports Live Extra and the assumed lack of streaming games online, I may have to switch to AT&T.  Anyone have experience with the service provided by AT&T?  Is it comparable to DTV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   YDKCooKiE

YDKCooKiE

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

I've actually switched from D* to Uverse recently.  I do have experience with both.  Some thoughts:

• Channel numbering isn't like D*.  Not the same channel for HD and SD.  So, for example, if ESPN is on channel 601, ESPNHD is on 1601.  It's channel # + 1000 to get to HD channels.
  • Less HD channels than DirecTV
  • PQ is a bit less on HD channels compared to DirecTV.  PQ on SD is much better than on DirecTV.
  • Limited to # of HD streams depending on distance from VRAD.  We're allowed 3 HD, 1 SD at a time (or 4 SD... yada).  This includes recording time.
  • HDD space on the DVR is smaller - so expect to have to delete shows more often.
  • No NHL Network (if you care)
  • The iPad streaming app pretty much doesn't exist, where it does on DirecTV.  So, no real "uVerse TV streaming" app.
  • You do get WatchESPN and WatchDisney with uVerse
  • uVerse has NFLN and NFL Redzone by NFLN
  • Response time on the DVR is pretty darn fast.
  • If you need an RF remote, it's an extra $50 and your mileage may vary with performance.
  • The wireless receiver is pretty darn cool, actually.
  • I've had good service from AT&T.  Their billing system can be an adventure though.
  • The internet is decent.  I have 18 down, 1.5 up.  I generally get that speed.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on uVerse - we're pretty happy with it as a whole.

#3 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

I had Uverse in 2009 and I problems with it. You have to be close to a VAR box. One Saturday we had  no service from 4AM to 6PM until tech came and fixed it. That Monday I called Dish to come & put  Dish back which took 5 days to come. Uverse has hundreds of channels, which was good.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#4 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

As mentioned distance from the VRAD will determine how many video streams you will get, another point you only get 1 dvr, it is whole home with 155 hours of HD space, it will work on up to 8 TV's with receivers that run 7.00 each.

they do have a website that will allow you to stream video - http://uverseonline.att.net/  there are a lot of shows there that even people without a uverse account can watch. If you check on ITunes, there is a Uverse App that allows you to stream video

Edited by wingrider01, 08 July 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the information.  What is considered a reasonable distance from a VRAD?

#6 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the information.  What is considered a reasonable distance from a VRAD?

I'm a former AT&T employee, had U-verse at 2 locations in the past, and am about to switch back to it for a while to save some money.  Generally, you need to be within about 3000' of a VRAD.  But, that isn't measured in a straight line to the VRAD box, it's measured as line length.  In some cases, the VRAD can be in your front yard but the line loops the other direction and you're either at the end of a previous line and out of range or that VRAD's line might loop back around and your line length be 2500' to the VRAD in your front yard. Line length really isn't something you can tell just by looking.  Additionally, AT&T has deployed pair bonding in some areas...don't know if they've done it everywhere yet.  With pair bonding it is supposed to extend the line distance from the VRAD out to about 5000'. 

As for PQ, I'm not the pickiest person on the planet, but when I had it before, I was satisfied.  It wasn't as good as D*, but it wasn't at all bad.  I was quite satisfied.  I only left it originally when I was outsourced from AT&T to another company and lost my 50% employee discount.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Go to their web site and make sure it is available for you.

The lady across the street from me can get it but I can not. I just checked it today.

I tried to find out about the VRAD but could not.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

• Limited to # of HD streams depending on distance from VRAD.  We're allowed 3 HD, 1 SD at a time (or 4 SD... yada).

another point you only get 1 dvr

Personally I find these limitations to be the most troublesome.  There are times where I'm at least quadruple booked on the DVR with HD shows that don't rerun.  Plus I wouldn't get all 4 shows recorded in HD since it seems the hardware limitation is 3HD & 1 SD shows recorded (even if you have 4 HD streams).  On top of that, if I am quadruple booked on the DVR, I or someone else in the house cannot watch anything else live (no 5th+ live show in your home).

I figure the rest of the things advertised against UVerse (slow internet when watching tv, etc) are either a gross exaggeration (like those against satellite TV) or may only apply to the vast minority of customers (I'm speaking directly in regards to TV ads, not other's posts here with additional factual info).  However, my notes above are what I have been able to find as concrete limitations of the UVerse product

On the other hand, these limitations are not likely to be as troublesome to others are they are to me.

While UVerse has many channels, I'd also recommend making sure to check and see that they have the channels you most watch.

#9 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

Personally I find these limitations to be the most troublesome.  There are times where I'm at least quadruple booked on the DVR with HD shows that don't rerun.  Plus I wouldn't get all 4 shows recorded in HD since it seems the hardware limitation is 3HD & 1 SD shows recorded (even if you have 4 HD streams).  On top of that, if I am quadruple booked on the DVR, I or someone else in the house cannot watch anything else live (no 5th+ live show in your home).

I figure the rest of the things advertised against UVerse (slow internet when watching tv, etc) are either a gross exaggeration (like those against satellite TV) or may only apply to the vast minority of customers (I'm speaking directly in regards to TV ads, not other's posts here with additional factual info).  However, my notes above are what I have been able to find as concrete limitations of the UVerse product

On the other hand, these limitations are not likely to be as troublesome to others are they are to me.

While UVerse has many channels, I'd also recommend making sure to check and see that they have the channels you most watch.

the slow internet when watching is not a exaggeration - remember, you are sharing the bandwidth between TV, internet and phone if you have all 3. The bandwidth comes from someplace and something has to suffer, COS is set for Phone, TV, Internet, with internet access being at the bottom of the food chain allocation. My ex has all three, she is a little about 2300 feet from the VRAD and gets the 25/2 profile which gives them 2HD/2SD, and a max of 18/1.5 for the internet. It slows to a crawl when all UVERSE feeds are in use. The top limit right now is a distance from the VRAD not a physical in-home issue, although they are reporting some changes in infrastructure design that will allow more feeds over longer distance

The link here is ATT UVERSE direct support that you can join and ask questions that only you can see the responses, it used to be that you could post your location and get an idea of what profile you could possible get.

https://secure.dslre...forum/sbcdirect

Edited by wingrider01, 10 July 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

the slow internet when watching is not a exaggeration - remember, you are sharing the bandwidth between TV, internet and phone if you have all 3. The bandwidth comes from someplace and something has to suffer, COS is set for Phone, TV, Internet, with internet access being at the bottom of the food chain allocation. My ex has all three, she is a little about 2300 feet from the VRAD and gets the 25/2 profile which gives them 2HD/2SD, and a max of 18/1.5 for the internet. It slows to a crawl when all UVERSE feeds are in use. The top limit right now is a distance from the VRAD not a physical in-home issue, although they are reporting some changes in infrastructure design that will allow more feeds over longer distance

If the internet connection slows to a crawl, then something is wrong.  Most likely, even though the profile is set up for 2HD/2SD, based on line conditions, it must barely qualify.  A properly working connection would only possibly affect the internet connection if you have the 24 Meg service.  Consider this, with the h.264 compression U-verse uses, a channel, on average, uses about 6-6.5 Megs per stream. Multiply that by 4 and you have 24-26 Megs used by 4 simultaneous streams of HDTV.  Add to that the 18 Megs for internet service and you get 42-44 Megs total own bandwidth being used.  Generally, a U-verse gateway/modem syncs at about 53 Megs to allow some overhead.  Voice, even when in use, uses a fraction of a meg.  

I'm not saying that your ex isn't experiencing what you say, I'm just saying that if they are, there are problems on the line.  The way U-verse is set up, it should never do that.

#11 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Well, I called DTV and explained my situation.  Was transferred to the Retention Department and was amazed at the deal they offered me.  With the credits and slight change to my channel lineup, I cut my bill almost in half.  They also threw in the new Genie and a Genie mini with free installation and running CAT-5 to my tv's.

#12 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

If the internet connection slows to a crawl, then something is wrong.  Most likely, even though the profile is set up for 2HD/2SD, based on line conditions, it must barely qualify.  A properly working connection would only possibly affect the internet connection if you have the 24 Meg service.  Consider this, with the h.264 compression U-verse uses, a channel, on average, uses about 6-6.5 Megs per stream. Multiply that by 4 and you have 24-26 Megs used by 4 simultaneous streams of HDTV.  Add to that the 18 Megs for internet service and you get 42-44 Megs total own bandwidth being used.  Generally, a U-verse gateway/modem syncs at about 53 Megs to allow some overhead.  Voice, even when in use, uses a fraction of a meg.  

I'm not saying that your ex isn't experiencing what you say, I'm just saying that if they are, there are problems on the line.  The way U-verse is set up, it should never do that.

Over the last 12 months she has had about 15 service calls put in over the issues, they come out and state that everything is fine on the setup. The last time even the tech saw the problem occur but they cannot find the cause. Last I seen she has had her account boosted up to the department that can allow her to terminate with no termination fees. If that happens she will be switching to Direct TV and the cable company for internet access. In general UVERSE is junk, friends don't let friends have UVERSE.

Edited by wingrider01, 10 July 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Well, I called DTV and explained my situation.  Was transferred to the Retention Department and was amazed at the deal they offered me.  With the credits and slight change to my channel lineup, I cut my bill almost in half.  They also threw in the new Genie and a Genie mini with free installation and running CAT-5 to my tv's.

not sure you got correct information here.  DirecTV does not run ethernet.  they run coax to RVU TV and install a DECA adapter

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Over the last 12 months she has had about 15 service calls put in over the issues, they come out and state that everything is fine on the setup. The last time even the tech saw the problem occur but they cannot find the cause. Last I seen she has had her account boosted up to the department that can allow her to terminate with no termination fees. If that happens she will be switching to Direct TV and the cable company for internet access. In general UVERSE is junk, friends don't let friends have UVERSE.

You're obviously not a fan of U-verse, and in that particular case, I can see why.  But as I explained before, if she's experiencing the issues you described, then there are issues with the line.  Now when I say that, I mean the line outside of her house/apartment/whatever.  That is definitely AT&T's fault and they should have fixed it by now.  However, the numbers I posted still hold true as how it is supposed to work and does work in most cases.  Anything 18 Meg and under in internet speed should not suffer due to TV or phone use if the line is conditioned properly.  The numbers don't add up for it to affect it.  I suspect she's in a marginal service area from the VRAD (even at 2300' some areas just have terrible quality copper) and they just never actually told her that.

In any case, yes, I can see why she/you would be unhappy with U-verse in that situation.  However, as someone who has had it at two different locations, I can attest that when it is working properly, it is just fine and TV watching won't affect internet speeds under the 24 Meg level.  A statement such as U-verse is junk just isn't accurate.  Her install sounds like it is junk, but that doesn't mean you need to generalize the service and equate all installations to that particular one.  DirecTV and Dish have "junk" installs all the time, but that doesn't make the whole service junk now does it?

#15 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Good.

Where I live (Carlsbad, CA), we were one of the first areas able to get uVerse. Though around here it's affectionately called "Scruverse", because they screw you out of internet speeds and HD picture quality. None of my neighbors has kept it. They either have Time Warner, DirecTV or Dish.

HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#16 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

I get 30 megabits download & 5 megabits upload for a reasonable price from Time Warner Cable.  I get superior HD picture quality and DVRs you can add external large hard drives to from DirecTV.  My cellular service is with Verizon.  I get land line phone service from AT&T.  I don't like having all my eggs in one basket!  With that said, U-verse is available for me, but the best Internet speed they can offer is 18 megabits and they want to charge me $150 if I only install one service.  You have to do Internet, TV, and phone to get free installation and a decent price for the first year.  Friends have told me they screw you with the price after the first year is up too!

NO THANKS!!!

*** DirecTV customer since 2004 ***

HR44-700 (2TB) + AM-21 -> Panasonic TC-PST60 Series 60" Plasma

HR24-500 (2TB) -> Samsung 6000 Series 55" LED

C41-700 & C41-500

#17 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

not sure you got correct information here.  DirecTV does not run ethernet.  they run coax to RVU TV and install a DECA adapter

Well, it is a combo of Ethernet and DECA.  The main Genie receiver is hooked to the internet via an ethernet line (run from my router by DTV).  I had no desire to live with a wifi connection.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Well, it is a combo of Ethernet and DECA.  The main Genie receiver is hooked to the internet via an ethernet line (run from my router by DTV).  I had no desire to live with a wifi connection.

There is no such thing as a "combo".  they run coax, period.  I dont consider connecting a short 1 ft Ethernet jumper as "running" Ethernet 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

There is no such thing as a "combo".  they run coax, period.  I dont consider connecting a short 1 ft Ethernet jumper as "running" Ethernet 

Well, not to nitpick, but the run was almost 50ft of ethernet cable.  Should I post pictures??  I don't understand your need to argue when you weren't here for the installation.

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Well, not to nitpick, but the run was almost 50ft of ethernet cable. Should I post pictures?? I don't understand your need to argue when you weren't here for the installation.

That's not at all normal. They aren't supposed to do that from anything I have ever seen or read. They are supposed to run coax to the spot and then use the deca to connect to your router with a short Ethernet cable. Did you already have the cable or something? Pay extra maybe? Customer installer? Just never heard of this from a normal DIRECTV installer, which is why peds was likely saying what he said. Very unusual.

And I assume this 50ft was from your router to the hr44 where it then plugged into your hr44 to give you Internet access, yes?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...