Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone have exp with AT&T Uverse? I may have to switch

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

That's not at all normal. They aren't supposed to do that from anything I have ever seen or read. They are supposed to run coax to the spot and then use the deca to connect to your router with a short Ethernet cable. Did you already have the cable or something? Pay extra maybe? Customer installer? Just never heard of this from a normal DIRECTV installer, which is why peds was likely saying what he said. Very unusual.

And I assume this 50ft was from your router to the hr44 where it then plugged into your hr44 to give you Internet access, yes?

Right on!  DirecTV DOES NOT provide Ethernet cable to the techs.  so if the tech did it for you it must have been a "on the side" kind of thing

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Well, not to nitpick, but the run was almost 50ft of ethernet cable.  Should I post pictures??  I don't understand your need to argue when you weren't here for the installation.

Please do, I want to see the "DirecTV" logo on that cable!!!!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Please do, I want to see the "DirecTV" logo on that cable!!!!

It seems it has the same logo on it as the coax does, which is NO LOGO.  I am enjoying how mad you are over my ethernet run.  And, since you know so little about installs in my city, most of the installers are subcontractors, not DirecTv employees.  You continue to argue about something you have no knowledge of.   Relax and accept that sometimes things are done a bit differently than normal.

Edited by Tygh, 17 July 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

I for one am grateful for ATT U-Verse. It's my best option in the styx, and while my upload speeds are under one Meg., I can still stream recorded content via GenieGo when I am away from my house. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#25 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

The only problem I have with ATT U-Verse is that the term of agreement mentions IPv6. However ATT-U-Verse is not pushing down upgrades to support Native and Tunnel IPv6.

HDR-24
HDR-34
AM-21N
ATT uverse internet

Genie Go

PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

It seems it has the same logo on it as the coax does, which is NO LOGO.  I am enjoying how mad you are over my ethernet run.  And, since you know so little about installs in my city, most of the installers are subcontractors, not DirecTv employees.  You continue to argue about something you have no knowledge of.   Relax and accept that sometimes things are done a bit differently than normal.

Mad, no way.....  I got better things to do.... :smoking:

Arguing, nope, I just tried to make a point and you keep bringing it back......   loving it..... !rolling

:coffee

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Brother, count the number of posts you have made on this thread.  If you have better things to do, don't post in here.  Your comments added nothing to the discussion of DTV vs ATT anyways.

Edited by Tygh, 17 July 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

I just made a "quick" comment which was supported by others which seemed to make you "up in arms"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

You're obviously not a fan of U-verse, and in that particular case, I can see why.  But as I explained before, if she's experiencing the issues you described, then there are issues with the line.  Now when I say that, I mean the line outside of her house/apartment/whatever.  That is definitely AT&T's fault and they should have fixed it by now.  However, the numbers I posted still hold true as how it is supposed to work and does work in most cases.  Anything 18 Meg and under in internet speed should not suffer due to TV or phone use if the line is conditioned properly.  The numbers don't add up for it to affect it.  I suspect she's in a marginal service area from the VRAD (even at 2300' some areas just have terrible quality copper) and they just never actually told her that.

In any case, yes, I can see why she/you would be unhappy with U-verse in that situation.  However, as someone who has had it at two different locations, I can attest that when it is working properly, it is just fine and TV watching won't affect internet speeds under the 24 Meg level.  A statement such as U-verse is junk just isn't accurate.  Her install sounds like it is junk, but that doesn't mean you need to generalize the service and equate all installations to that particular one.  DirecTV and Dish have "junk" installs all the time, but that doesn't make the whole service junk now does it?

She won, ATT is allowing her to opt out of the contract with no ETF, replacing the phone with a normal pots line. They basically admitted they could not figure out what the problem was. The POTS line is being installed today, along with the cable internet connection,  she has DIRECTV coming out tomorrow to install a genie and 3 HD-DVR's. With all the specials for new customers on the internet and DIRECTV her bill will actually be less. She is getting 30/4 for internet on a special pricing plan for 2 years. Plus I get 10.00 off my bill 

At least she and the kids took my advice to setup a free email account and use that as a forward facing address, she will only have to change the forward to email address in one place.

Edited by wingrider01, 18 July 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

I am glad I asked the original question as I know now I would have been miserable with ATT.  I am happy to have stayed with DTV and the Genie with mini's are much preferred to my old boxes.  Last time I got a "new" dvr was in 2005.  May be a bit of bias, but I swear I notice a quality increase in the picture quality.  The response time for the box is a nice change as well.

#31 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

At least she and the kids took my advice to setup a free email account and use that as a forward facing address, she will only have to change the forward to email address in one place.

little bit off topic but since you mentioned this I give you my .05¢.  I never recommend folks to use the ISP email address since it stops when you stop the service.  there are domains to use as a free email accounts.  gmail comes to mind

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#32 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

I switched to Uverse before the Genie had come out.    The thing I loved the most was being able to perform DVR functions from any TV and watch recorded programs from any TV.   The other thing is that it has HUB in HD like every other provider except DirecTv.   There is also usually no contract (there might be one if you bundle phone service with it).

The main reason I switched back to DirecTv was the picture quality of my local stations.   For whatever reason, the picture quality of sporting events, especially the NFL, just didn't look as good on Uverse. I actually switched back after 7 months with Uverse, and DirecTv gave me a Genie ($99), 2 HD tuners (free), and free installation of the system plus whole home DVR.  

I still have Uverse internet (18 mb), and I have zero problems with it.

#33 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

little bit off topic but since you mentioned this I give you my .05¢.  I never recommend folks to use the ISP email address since it stops when you stop the service.

Not always true.  When we left AT&T DSL for Time Warner Cable, they let us keep our email.

*** DirecTV customer since 2004 ***

HR44-700 (2TB) + AM-21 -> Panasonic TC-PST60 Series 60" Plasma

HR24-500 (2TB) -> Samsung 6000 Series 55" LED

C41-700 & C41-500

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Not always true.  When we left AT&T DSL for Time Warner Cable, they let us keep our email.

well, that is the exception not the rule!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall