Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Getting DirecTV to send a replacement DVR w/o a truck roll??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

My brother has DirecTV at a lake house. One of the DVRs, and HR21-100, is clearly going bad.   Video stops/stutters, sometime freezes, unit has to be re-booted, etc.  We even got a hard drive error message, code 14-023, yesterday saying try a re-boot. Other receivers in the house do just fine.

He says he has called several times and they stall with all the trouble shooting steps and then say they will not ship a replacement unit w/o a truck roll.  Problem is, he is only there occasionally.  Is there any way to get them to send a replacement unit/recovery kit without a truck roll?  Do they even want HR21-100s back?

If not, perhaps try a dealer/installer in the local area (Clemson SC area). 

Also, all of this should be no-renewal commitment - unit is clearly faulty.

Thx!

Edited by tkrandall, 08 July 2013 - 11:42 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,400 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

14 | On Screen Text: “Internal Storage Error Detected. A problem was detected reading your internal storage device. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostic Code: 14” | What to do: Select "Reboot" to reset Receiver.

If still a problem: Do NOT try to reformat from the front panel. Replace Receiver.

Call them for a replacement. I just got one a couple of months ago.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Did they ship it to you, or do a truck roll?

#4 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,400 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

They shipped it to me. I paid the $20 shipping. It came Fed-X second day delivery. I called in on Wednesday and had it installed by Friday evening.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

OK, Thx - I will have him re-try.  Maybe asked for th activation dept?

#6 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Getting a truck roll will probably increase your chances of getting a "better" DVR like an HR24.

#7 OFFLINE   georgewells

georgewells

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationHayden,Idaho

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

What is a Truck Roll ??

Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,300 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

What is a Truck Roll ??

Thanks

A service tech will come to the premises to troubleshoot and/or replace the defective part.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Is this the case where he has a DirecTV account at home and has taken one of his DVRs to the lake house and leaves it there?  If that is the case I'm wondering if DirecTV has noticed that it hasn't called in from it's service address in a long time so they suspect it is being used in a different location so they want to do a truck roll to make sure all of the receivers for the account are at the service location like they are supposed to be.

If this is the case he should just bring the DVR home with him and hook it up there, then call and have the service call done at his home.  Then after it is replaced the next time he goes back to the lake house he can take the new reciever with him.

Edited by Beerstalker, 09 July 2013 - 03:00 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#10 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

No.  The lake house is the service address.

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

The first thing to remember when you KNOW your receiver needs replacing is to NEVER tell DirecTV about diagnostic codes or symptoms or anything else that results in a big "troubleshooting" waste of time.  Just say "it's DEAD".  No lights, no picture on the TV and the wall outlet works fine with a table lamp.  Even better, tell them your OTHER DirecTV receiver(s) are working fine if you have more than one receiver.

• damondlt likes this

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,075 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

The first thing to remember when you KNOW your receiver needs replacing is to NEVER tell DirecTV about diagnostic codes or symptoms or anything else that results in a big "troubleshooting" waste of time.  Just say "it's DEAD".  No lights, no picture on the TV and the wall outlet works fine with a table lamp.  Even better, tell them your OTHER DirecTV receiver(s) are working fine if you have more than one receiver.

Agree, because how it acts on paper, is rarely the way its really acting!. Agree tell them it won't power up!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

Actually, if you tell them a code that says its dead, they will go with that as well.

#14 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,400 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

That is exactly what happened to my HR23.

They still had about 6 or 8 things they asked me. The last question in the list was "Did you check the power breaker ? "

I explained to her that if every other thing plugged into that outlet was working that it could not be the breaker.

The whole process took about 15 minutes.

spam firewall