Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Questions about going to DISH from DIRECTV?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hmss007

hmss007

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

I've been looking in the forum for several days trying to find answers to the following questions but haven't had any luck.  Please forgive me if I'm asking questions that have been answered already.

I have been with DTV for 12+ years and I'm looking to switch to DISH for several reasons, mainly to get the Pac-12 Network feeds and beIN sports (I can get beIN on DTV but I'd have to pay an extra $11.99 per month for sports package).  My current setup is 3 DTV DVRs (HR21-100) which can record up to 2 HD channels at the same time, so I have the ability to record 6 HD shows at the same time.  I can also playback any recorded show from any DVR from any of the others.

I need to keep this feature if I move to DISH, so I have the following questions.  I am looking at the America's Top 250 package.

Programming questions

1. Will I receive ROOT Sports NW (Seattle Mariners, Seattle Sounders, etc.) in HD as part of my package?
  2. Will I receive Pac-12 Network + Pac-12 Washington (UW Husky Football & Basketball) in HD as part of my package?
  3. Will I receive beIN Sports in HD as part of my package?
  4. Are ESPNews and ESPNU both only in SD (no HD available)?
  5. Are the Encore and EPIX channels part of the America's Top 250 package (or do I just get them for a limited time as a promotion)?
  6. Is Blockbuster@Home worth $10 per month?  The only channel I really want is Palladia HD, don't really care about the movie streaming features.

Equipment questions

1. What receivers do I need to be able to record 2 HD programs on each receiver (for a total of 6 HD) at any given time - I don't watch Primetime very often, so I need to be able to record up to 6 channels in HD any time?
    1. How much do they charge for each receiver, is it $7/month regardless if it's a Joey or DVR?
  2. Can I watch one HD program and record another HD program at the same time?
  3. Does DISH use my existing multi-switch (Eagle 5 x 8) to distribute programming throughout my home?
  4. What new hardware would I need?  I currently have 4 RG6 coax cables from satellite on roof to multi-switch in house, multi-switch then has 8 RG6 coax cables going to 4 different rooms (2 pair to each room).
    1. Would a DISH install be able to use all the existing hardware and just swap out the satellite and receivers or would they need to run new wires?

Thanks in advance for your help.  Thought I would ask here before calling DISH as I'm not sure how competent their representatives are.

Eric

Edited by hmss007, 08 July 2013 - 04:22 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

I usually don't answer questions from UW people, but here goes . . .

Programming

1.  Yes and no.  They turn on the HD feed for 'events' - that includes all Mariners games.  I *think* that includes Sounders, as well. 

2.  If you are in a PAC-12 state, you get the PAC-12 Networks for anything Top 120+ and higher.  Like the FSN feed, HD is turned on for all football and basketball games.  Plus you get all the other PAC12 events in HD on overflow channels.  So, you would get every conference game in HD.

3.  Looks like it with AT250.  Channel 392, I believe. 

4.  Correct.  Fight with Disney.  The only Disney family channels in HD are ESPN and ESPN2 (24/7 HD feed).  Once in a blue moon the PAC12 will be on ESPNU in SD - sucks, but rare.

5.  Promo.  Epix is cheap ($ 5/month?) but Encore HD is bundled with Starz.  One way to get Epix is to get Blockbuster at Home.  (see 6 below)

6.  Yes, it is worth it IMO.  You get all the latest Starz flicks via streaming, plus Encore's HD library and live channels of Epix, Retro, some others.  Plus one rental on disc (unlimited).

I don't yet have the Hopper, so I will let someone else chime in on the equipment angle.  From what I have heard, the Hopper has up to three tuners to use in any combo you want.

I've been looking in the forum for several days trying to find answers to the following questions but haven't had any luck.  Please forgive me if I'm asking questions that have been answered already.

I have been with DTV for 12+ years and I'm looking to switch to DISH for several reasons, mainly to get the Pac-12 Network feeds and beIN sports (I can get beIN on DTV but I'd have to pay an extra $11.99 per month for sports package).  My current setup is 3 DTV DVRs (HR21-100) which can record up to 2 HD channels at the same time, so I have the ability to record 6 HD shows at the same time.  I can also playback any recorded show from any DVR from any of the others.

I need to keep this feature if I move to DISH, so I have the following questions.  I am looking at the America's Top 250 package.

Programming questions

1. Will I receive ROOT Sports NW (Seattle Mariners, Seattle Sounders, etc.) in HD as part of my package?
  2. Will I receive Pac-12 Network + Pac-12 Washington (UW Husky Football & Basketball) in HD as part of my package?
  3. Will I receive beIN Sports in HD as part of my package?
  4. Are ESPNews and ESPNU both only in SD (no HD available)?
  5. Are the Encore and EPIX channels part of the America's Top 250 package (or do I just get them for a limited time as a promotion)?
  6. Is Blockbuster@Home worth $10 per month?  The only channel I really want is Palladia HD, don't really care about the movie streaming features.

Equipment questions

1. What receivers do I need to be able to record 2 HD programs on each receiver (for a total of 6 HD) at any given time - I don't watch Primetime very often, so I need to be able to record up to 6 channels in HD any time?
    1. How much do they charge for each receiver, is it $7/month regardless if it's a Joey or DVR?
  2. Can I watch one HD program and record another HD program at the same time?
  3. Does DISH use my existing multi-switch (Eagle 5 x 8) to distribute programming throughout my home?
  4. What new hardware would I need?  I currently have 4 RG6 coax cables from satellite on roof to multi-switch in house, multi-switch then has 8 RG6 coax cables going to 4 different rooms (2 pair to each room).
    1. Would a DISH install be able to use all the existing hardware and just swap out the satellite and receivers or would they need to run new wires?

Thanks in advance for your help.  Thought I would ask here before calling DISH as I'm not sure how competent their representatives are.

Eric

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Perhaps a worst case scenario of simultaneous recordings would help us better understand your needs. Most non-sports programming gets at least three airings so careful planning can save a lot of panic.

You can order three HD DVRs and get pretty much what you have now (less Whole Home, if you have that). Pricing for three independent HD DVRs is going to be considerably more than that for a Hopper setup.

Neither DISH nor DIRECTV use Eagle Aspen switchgear for new installs. DISH has their DP+ and DIRECTV has their SWiM. Both are one cable per receiver/DVR/client. If the coax and connectors look sound, that's about the extent of what they're going to reuse. There's a small chance that they might reuse the existing antenna mast.

I highly recommend you visit the DISH website and bang around a bit to familiarize yourself with their package configurations. For the remaining questions, fire away.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

One correction, Encore HD is included with Top250.

#5 OFFLINE   hmss007

hmss007

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

@tampa8, @harsh & @pmjones - thank you for your quick responses.

Regarding programming, it sounds like I would be giving up my RSN full time HD feed in favor of only getting HD when there are games (i.e. Mariners, Sounders, etc.).  Same is true for the Pac-12 networks, only have HD when there is a game.

As for equipment, DTV only charges for the extra receiver (doesn't matter what it is - DVR, non-DVR, etc.) - it sounds like DISH has a tier and charges depending on the capabilities of the receiver.  Unfortunately, the DISH website doesn't let you figure out various configurations, etc.

I've got a call into a local reseller and I'm hoping they can help with more questions.  But at the moment, doesn't sound like I'd be gaining much by switching from DTV to DISH.

To answer @harsh questions about recording.  Very often we have 6 recordings going - say on a Sunday night with new shows on HBO and A&E along with things like 60 MInutes, Food Network and QVC.  I have very different viewing habits than my wife, so I also record lots of live sports and other shows on USA, FX, etc.   So, I don't want to give up the ability to record 6 HD feeds at the same time.

Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

The 2-Hopper/3-Joey setup that I have is a bit more than I and my wife need and I've been debating "downsizing".  But I can address your Sunday Night issue.

Each Hopper has 3 tuners.  So, on Sunday night, you could have 1 tuner covering the major networks ("Prime Time Anytime"), 1 tuner on HBO and one on A&E.  If your timers are set properly, Any new shows on Food Network or QVC could be covered when they rebroadcast 3 hours later (like A&E does).  A 2nd Hopper would run you $7/mo (though some have said the price is increasing to $10).

What I have is our "main" Hopper records PTA and the shows we generally like to follow.  The 2nd Hopper has far fewer timers.  No PTA (why bother since it's on the first Hopper), several timers designed to pick up Red Sox and Bruins games on NESN (Search timers keying on "Red Sox at" and "at Red Sox", etc) and a batch of timers with 25 or 50-show limits recording things like "Yard Crashers" and other DIY shows that we'll scan when there's nothing else on.

#7 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

The 2-Hopper/3-Joey setup that I have is a bit more than I and my wife need and I've been debating "downsizing".  But I can address your Sunday Night issue.

Each Hopper has 3 tuners.  So, on Sunday night, you could have 1 tuner covering the major networks ("Prime Time Anytime"), 1 tuner on HBO and one on A&E.  If your timers are set properly, Any new shows on Food Network or QVC could be covered when they rebroadcast 3 hours later (like A&E does).  A 2nd Hopper would run you $7/mo (though some have said the price is increasing to $10).

What I have is our "main" Hopper records PTA and the shows we generally like to follow.  The 2nd Hopper has far fewer timers.  No PTA (why bother since it's on the first Hopper), several timers designed to pick up Red Sox and Bruins games on NESN (Search timers keying on "Red Sox at" and "at Red Sox", etc) and a batch of timers with 25 or 50-show limits recording things like "Yard Crashers" and other DIY shows that we'll scan when there's nothing else on.

On May 22nd the ADDITIONAL Hoppers went up to $12/mo. DVR fee went up to $12 on Hopper accounts Joey stayed at $7.

Edited by RBA, 09 July 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Just my $0.02

I have DirecTV (several HDDVRs) and one Dish 722 (HDDVR w/ dual tuners)

Love it, love it love it.  Yeah, it's expensive, but each service has unique programming.  I am an independent installer, and becoming more fluent, if you will, in Dish is good for business.

Nice having even more HDDVR capacity (don't have a Genie yet), and I am using the heck out of the auto-tune feature on the Dish receiver on tuner 2 in my whole house mirror system.  Had auto-tune long ago on a old D* box, did not realize how much I missed it till I got it back.

I am enthusiastically in favor of more folks (not necessarily the OP) having both.  It's good for business, it's fun, it is uber cool, especially when taking to in-house techs of either company, and it's expensive. LOL!

Win the lottery, get both, YOU'LL LOVE IT!!

#9 OFFLINE   hmss007

hmss007

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Can anyone else confirm that Palladia is part of AT250?  I don't want to get the Blockbuster package if I get Palladia as part of the main package.

So if I got 2 x Hopper w/Sling and one Joey, would I be charged $17/month for the 2nd Hopper and then $7/month for the Joey?

My setup would then be the following....

Main TV - Hopper w/Sling (free)

2nd TV - Hopper w/Sling ($17/month)

3rd TV - Joey ($7/month)

AT250 - $74.99/month

Palladia - included with AT250 or would I need to pay $10/month to get it w/Blockbuster@Home?

Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

I'm an AT250 customer, no Blockbuster deal (got tired of getting scratched-up Blu-Rays in the mail) and just tuned to Palladia HD on my Nexus 7 using the free Dish Anywhere app.

Just curious, do you really need 2 Hoppers with Sling?

#11 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Can anyone else confirm that Palladia is part of AT250?  I don't want to get the Blockbuster package if I get Palladia as part of the main package.

So if I got 2 x Hopper w/Sling and one Joey, would I be charged $17/month for the 2nd Hopper and then $7/month for the Joey?

3rd TV - Joey ($7/month)

AT250 - $74.99/month

Palladia - included with AT250 or would I need to pay $10/month to get it w/Blockbuster@Home?

Thanks

First Hopper W/S is Free, but the Whole Home DVR fee is $12.  Second Hopper W/S is $12 per month and any Joeys are $7 a month.  So your equipment and WH DVR fees for that setup would be $31 month.

#12 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Palladia is part of the AT 250 programming package but it does require HD programming.  Thanks.

3rd TV - Joey ($7/month)

AT250 - $74.99/month

Thanks

spam firewall