Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving DVR Content

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shael

shael

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

I know this comes up from time to time, but what is the latest on being able to move content from one DVR to another DVR?

We currently have 2  HR22's and 1 HR24.  We are considering a new Genie system to replace at least one of the HR22's, maybe both.  But we still have a lot of stuff on the DVR's that we really don't want to lose.

Edited by shael, 08 July 2013 - 06:21 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

The latest is the same as before - there is no way to do this. With an external device such as the Hauppauge HD PVR 2, you can save recordings to your PC, but you can't reinsert them on the new DVR.

Steve

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   shael

shael

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

I thought I had heard a rumour that Directv was working on something to do this.

#4 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Where did you hear that?

#5 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

I remain “confused” as to why DirecTV des no offer such a DVR to DVR copy and transfer capability.   

Is their reasoning  1)  they don’t want to offer this service because they see it as either reducing revenue or significantly increasing costs?  2) or is it they just don’t; think it the type of enhancement they want to bother adding? (kind of like OTA true scanning capability for the non-Genie DVRs hooked up to an AM21…why won’t they add that either?)   Surely the obstacle is not a technical one.

I realize their methodology for encoding is tied to the box serial number and/or access card ID associated therewith, but it would seem to me that it would be possible to come up with software that would allow a copy or re-assignment of a program to another box via a re-encoding of the program to said other box. The additional digital “key” to allow this would be indication the destination and origination boxes are authorized to the same account.  I could see this type of box to box transfer as easily being doable via a whole-home network setup, perhaps after hours when the boxes are not otherwise tasked with recording, etc

I honestly think this would be a very good product  enhancement, one that customers would significantly value, and one that would not in any way undermine DirecTV’s product offering or direction.  Not everyone wants a single DVR Genie type solution in the house.  I prefer a multiple DVR whole home setup. (If they would only allow me to select the destination DVR for a recording from another DVR (as can be done from a non-DVR receiver, that would be perfect)

#6 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

The technology is not an issue - TiVo already knows how to do this. But if you have another DirecTV DVR you can already stream content from one to another, so is there really a big advantage to copying the show?

Steve

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

The advantage is preserving content on the DVR(s) as long as you remain a DirecTV customer (as they own the DVRs).  As it is now, the content goes poof when the DVRs go poof or are replaced.  If you have multiple DVRs and you have a really special content you want to keep (like a TV news or sports broadcast in which someone in your familiy is featured), your only option now is to download to a DVD recorder or PC.  If you could spread it across mutiple DVRs, then you would be able to tie it over through multiple DVR life cycles.

Which brings me back to the question - I am curious why does DirecTV not see this as a worthy product enhancement?  I don't see how it either increases their costs or redcues revenue.  (Again, like supporting true OTA scanning on non-Genie receivers.)  There are so many things they do to make the products better. This would be a welcomed enhancement so that your content does no die when the DVR does. (if you have made the effort to copy it over first of course....)

Edited by tkrandall, 09 July 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   shael

shael

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Exactly.  Anytime a DVR has to be replaced you lose everything.  Or in our case this time, looking to upgrade but still have a lot of recordings saved.  Finding a point when the DVR is almost empty can be tough!

What we are thinking of doing is keeping our HR22 for awhile until everything is watched up.  We already have our original non-HD DVR in the living room with a small TV for watching multiple games. 

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

The way I see this is like this, we do not own the content, we "rent" it from DirecTV, and as such we have no right to "keep" it for the long haul.  If you really like a movie, the "producer" would really like for you to buy the disk

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   KarenRichmond

KarenRichmond

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

That is fine if it is a movie you want to keep.  I have no problem buying a movie I want to have for the long haul.  The issue this thread is really about is being able to dump recordings you haven't watched yet on one DVR to another if for instance one DVR seems to be dying or you are looking to or needing to upgrade a DVR.  

#11 OFFLINE   sansabar

sansabar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationOusley, GA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

I'm going through this right now. In fact, have a similar thread in another section.

It seems there is no easy solution. I have a couple sseasons of tv series that I have yet to watch and don't want to lose them in an upgrade to the HR44.

Being a Mac user, I have ordered the Elegato EyeTV and will record the shows in real time to the Mac and play them back at a later time. Not very convenient but there seems to be limited options for a solution.

I agree with others that this has always been a sore spot when losing a current DVR box for upgrade or replacement. I have lost many hours of recordings never watched because my DTV box died or was in the process of dying and the replacemant box can offer no help with preserving or saving the existing recordings. Once your old box is gone, they're gone too.

No matter where you go, there you are.

#12 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,154 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

We've been asking for the ability to use any HR to play content from any HDD used within an account for years and have gotten nowhere.  MRV isn't the answer, it has nothing to do with the question.  This is just one of several reasons why I don't have a Genie even tho D* has offered them to me at no cost.  I know I'd end up putting a large external drive on it and I know the Genie would fail at some time and all the recordings would be lost on the external HDD.

I've taken care of the problem in my own way (a rather expensive way) and never have any fear of losing content, but that doesn't help those with only a couple HRs.  Years ago I was told that I was in a minority of users with large external/internal HDDs and D* didn't care what happened to only a few subs.  That can't still be true.  Not with the Genies and their small internal HDDs which fill up rather quickly with five tuners.  And not with all the folks that now use external drives on their regular HRs.  Using a five tuner DVR just cries out for a large drive, but why spend that money when you know the Genie, like all the other HRs, will fail sooner or later and all content will go down the tubes with the Genie?

Rich  

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

The issue this thread is really about is being able to dump recordings you haven't watched yet on one DVR to another

Well your "rental" period ends when you upgrade or replace your DVR 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

I know this comes up from time to time, but what is the latest on being able to move content from one DVR to another DVR?

We currently have 2  HR22's and 1 HR24.  We are considering a new Genie system to replace at least one of the HR22's, maybe both.  But we still have a lot of stuff on the DVR's that we really don't want to lose.

Stop recording on the one you want to get rid of.  Watch all of its content only till its all gone, and replace it with a genie, then rense and repeat as needed.  Someday it will fail, even if its not for another 15 years.  So eventually you will lose that content anyway.  I say just wait til you get the genie and then start recording the movies again if they are things you wanted to keep long term.  And if its hbo tv series, don't worry about them at all since you can download with hbo go.

#15 OFFLINE   jforkner

jforkner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCopperopolis, CA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Couldn't you purchase a DVD recorder and offload the recorded shows to DVDs, then watch them?  Granted, they might not be HD, but at least you'd have them.

Jack

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Couldn't you purchase a DVD recorder and offload the recorded shows to DVDs, then watch them?  Granted, they might not be HD, but at least you'd have them.

Jack

Yep, that is about the only way.  this, and a video capture hardware/software for PC or Mac

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

Does anybody have the Hauppauge HD PVR 2? How is the quality on recordings? I'm thinking of getting this device but not really sure, I know it has to be connected to the PC also via USB after installing software and it will record in real time (1 hour show = 1 hour recording)

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#18 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Since i just had a HR23-700 die on me last night during a local power loss, this is a hot button issue for me too...

Now i cant remember what series links i had on that DVR or what programs i lost...we have four DVRs in the home...

I nice feature for them to add would be downloadable to do lists/series manager/playlists...maybe to USB flash drives in txt or html format?

Sent from my XT907 using DBSTalk mobile app

#19 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Since i just had a HR23-700 die on me last night during a local power loss, this is a hot button issue for me too...

Now i cant remember what series links i had on that DVR or what programs i lost...we have four DVRs in the home...

I nice feature for them to add would be downloadable to do lists/series manager/playlists...maybe to USB flash drives in txt or html format?

Sent from my XT907 using DBSTalk mobile app

Join the wishlist club. :)

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#20 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Im not a programming wizard, but I think an app/PC program could be created...

you could tell it when to query all the receivers(like 3am everyday) or something...

and it saves the info in a txt or CSV file, and could replace or append the file...

Someone with the knowledge and some time on their hands might be able to pull it off...

Edited by loveshockey, 17 July 2013 - 07:58 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...