Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question/Bug?: Blue light on, but Power off

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:58 PM

When I'm not using my 921, I turn it off. But every two or three days, I'll notice that although it's off (ie front power light isn't illuminated), the blue light (the HD output indicator) is on. I'm trying to figure out why this happens, and I think I know.

When I first got the 921, with all the playing around with it's feature, it would frequently become unstable and require a manual reboot, which I did by a power cord disconnect or a smart card pull. If I did this while the unit was off, the blue light would always come on during the reboot process and when rebooting was finished, the power light would be off, as expected, but the blue light would remain lit.

So, even though I now treat the 921 more gingerly and have only rarely had to force a reboot recently, I was beginning to think that finding the blue light on when the unit was off indicated that a spontaneous reboot had occurred. The other day, I set a timer to record a Showtime HD movie while I was at work. When I got home, the blue light was on. I checked the recorded movie in the PVR list and the movie was recorded in two segments. I'd seen this movie before, and by looking at the end of the first segment and beginning of the second, it appears that about 5 minutes of the movie is missing, approximately the amount of time it takes the 921 to boot. That suggests that the 921 happened to reboot during the recording and upon finishing rebooting, it still saw an active timer and started another recording to finish up the timer. This is the first time I've had a recording problem.

Last night, I was watching a recorded show. I wasn't doing anything else and all of a sudden, the 921 rebooted. After rebooting, I watched the recording without incident, so there wasn't any problem with the recording itself.

At this point I'm fairly sure that the solitary blue light does indeed indicate that the 921 rebooted while it was off. Has anyone else experienced the solitary blue light or have any other thoughts on this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 05:09 PM

I see it all the time on mine. Usually after a timer has fired when the 921 has been off. I don't know if it has anything to do with rebooting or not - haven't noticed any of my recordings split in half.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I've had plenty of timers fire when the 921 was off without seeing the blue light on, so it's doubtful that's the cause. I'm still betting it's because of a reboot. I did talk to advanced tech support and they hadn't heard of this, but did file an uncommon trend report. At least I'm not the only one who has seen this.

#4 OFFLINE   kls

kls

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 06:40 PM

I noticed this a few weeks ago so I started watching it, it happens when the 921 reboots itself. My 921 typically reboots once or twice per day on its own.

#5 OFFLINE   JoeQ

JoeQ

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 07:13 PM

I have had my 921 for about 1.5 weeks.

Only one time, I saw that Blue light lit while the 921 was off when I had gotten home from work.

Did think it was odd so I am glad to see that I am not the only one.

Can't tell whether it had rebooted and I haven't noticed any hicups in the a recording - course I don't know which one it was recording that day.

Joe

#6 OFFLINE   rudolpht

rudolpht

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 08:24 PM

I have had 3 total recordings split (none that important). I notice the blue light, but never correlated the two. I'll go back and check the split recording, which I really thought was more of an irritant of switching sources and never really made sense.

I'll go back and check the recordings I didn't automatically just delete because they were split. What a hassle. I was just thinking today how would a split show (if it keeps cropping up) get recorded to phantom dishwire and would there be a hiccup between parts (never pondering a gap as big as 5 minutes).

This is a go to the head of the class bug on the bug list if true.

Tim

#7 OFFLINE   rudolpht

rudolpht

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 08:35 PM

Well I had recorded Heaven Can Wait, the Warren Beatty remake, and the first part was 89 minutes long. The second part definitely lost a number of minutes, specifically the whole end of the superbowl game, back to where Jack Warden & Beatty are in the post game lockerroom.

Very disturbing and I guess I'll ditch these recordings and wait for it to come around again.

Please put this on the BUG list. Good catch Jerry. I guess it's actually a "feature" to warn you recodings were interrupted by a reboot....

Tim

#8 OFFLINE   djtowle

djtowle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 09:43 PM

I've had at least (4) timer recordings split in two with the 921, Over just a few days of use. Once the 2nd half (segment) was not recorded at all.

#9 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 10:48 PM

Please put this on the BUG list. Good catch Jerry. I guess it's actually a "feature" to warn you recodings were interrupted by a reboot....

Tim

After reading all the comments, I'm fairly convinced that seeing the blue light on when the unit is powered off does indeed indicate there has been a reboot. And I'd guess the reboot isn't necessarily related to any timed recording that might have been active at the time of the reboot. I've certainly had the "blue light" syndrome happen when I didn't have any timed recordings set during the time the reboot might have happened. I think it may be coincidental that the seemingly random reboot happened during a recording, resulting in a split recording with 5 to 7 minutes missing between the two segments.

#10 OFFLINE   bytre

bytre

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:00 AM

I had the blue light on today with the machine off.

I don't have any split recordings, yet.

#11 OFFLINE   rudolpht

rudolpht

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 07:53 AM

Did you have any timers set when the reboot occured? If not you will not have a split recording?

#12 OFFLINE   rudolpht

rudolpht

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 07:53 AM

The bug here is really the inordinate number of reboots vs the indicator of such.

#13 OFFLINE   928gt

928gt

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:28 AM

I am so glad others have noticed the "blue light" oddity. I have noticed this since the first few days of ownership (over 3 weeks ago) and it is exactly as everyone else describes. I also had a split recording recently and now that you mention it, the blue was on when I went to check on this recording. This spontanious reboot/blue light situation is obviously a major issue that needs to be addressed.

While I know for a fact Dish Advance techs monitors these threads (the last advance tech I spoke with knew me by my username here,.. scary) I feel everyone who has this issue should call Advance Tech and add their name to the uncommon trend report in an effort to speed up a reaction (fix) to this issue.

Dave

#14 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 01:55 PM

When I'm not using my 921, I turn it off. But every two or three days, I'll notice that although it's off (ie front power light isn't illuminated), the blue light (the HD output indicator) is on. I'm trying to figure out why this happens, and I think I know.

I have seen this as well and was completely perplexed. I haven't had any split recordings but I have had one recording that fired and only recorded 2 minutes.

--- WCS
DISH RECEIVERS: 622(x2), 510, 211(x2)
PROGRAMMING: DISH HD Platinum, Atlanta locals
ANTENNAS: 61.5, 110, 119, 129

#15 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 07 February 2004 - 03:26 PM

I have seen the blue light too. I have had several split recordings, also. I know for sure that one was a result of a reboot since I was watching the show at the time (timeshifted by about 15 min.).

-Chris

#16 OFFLINE   angiodan

angiodan

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 03:36 PM

I also get the blue light special. Haven't had any split recordings however.

#17 OFFLINE   928gt

928gt

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 03:05 PM

FYI, According to an Echostar Advanced Tech (921 group) I was corrosponding with via e-mail today...

"The random reboot issue is definitely the top priority of the 921 team."

Dave

#18 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 05:25 PM

Update on this - the developers think the blue light on may be a leftover piece of code from the 721 having to do with the 721's message light. But, they have a couple of people looking into it.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#19 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 11:26 PM

Mark: While they're at it - maybe they could look into making some light, ANY light turn on MUCH earlier in the boot process? It would just be nice to know the box is actually doing something as opposed to wondering if it needs to be kick-started.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#20 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 12:52 AM

Well, it does display the dishHD logo on screen very early in the boot process. I'll pass the suggestion along, although hopefully after next week, none of will be seeing the numerous reboots anymore.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

spam firewall