Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question/Bug?: Blue light on, but Power off

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SoCalStev1

SoCalStev1

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:44 PM

I too have the same Blue Light issue. I have never noticed any split in my recordings though. I thought it was "normal". What do I know?

Hope this and all the other issues get worked out soon!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 12:02 PM

Mark, or anyone who has been through it once: When the software is sent out does it destroy the recordings and schedules set in the system we have now? I have a couple of important programs that I want to keep. Maybe I need to put these shows on DVHS tape before they stop cycling them. Namely, I have the recent tech chat and I have the CES forum recorded off of HDNet. I would hate to lose these.

#23 OFFLINE   Jim Parker

Jim Parker

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 12:05 PM

A software update does not erase any of your recordings.

#24 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 12:09 PM

The software update definitely should not erase any of your recorded programs, Don, nor any of your current timers.

However, I find that it's always better to play it safe "just in case"...
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#25 OFFLINE   rudolpht

rudolpht

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 12:57 PM

A software update does not erase any of your recordings.

There was a beta that did just that. I have Don's concern also, though I'm ditching things that I would like to archive right now because of total disk space.

I HOPE the dishwire update does not dump current recordings, but I also hope they turn it on soon.

Tim

#26 OFFLINE   TV Director

TV Director

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:41 PM

I've noticed the blue light on almost every night when I get home, and every morning when I get up. Couldn't tell you if I've had any split recordings though, as 99% of all timers I've set just don't fire (I'm on the RA list for a new unit). As much as my machine re-boots, I just assumed that was the cause of the blue lights.

#27 OFFLINE   JoeQ

JoeQ

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:53 AM

The blue light is on every time get home from work and also in the morning.

It must be a reboot because I had a timer scheduled for during the day yesterday.
Got home, the blue light was on and I had 2 of the same named recording.
One was listed as 84 minutes long, the other listed as 6 minutes long.

Did not get a chance to see if the recording was okay cause I spent too long messing with the stupid remote control address issue that I reported as a bug in this forum.

Joe

#28 OFFLINE   TV Director

TV Director

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:26 AM

Got up this morning with the blue light on again. I set up two test recordings overnight. One was a movie on HBOHD, and it was a split recording...one for 6 seconds, and the other for zero seconds. The other test was on HBO Comedy...it turned into a 3-way split recording with large gaps in the program content. In other words...I got pretty much nothing.

#29 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 12:48 PM

Last night, I was watching the recorded episode of Letterman from the CBS-HD feed.I was watching the first half while the second half recorded. The software update came, unannounced and kicked me off and shut down my 921. It then went totally dark for 3-4 minutes. Then, the blue light and the red light came back on but the green light would not power the unit back on from the remote; the green light would flash for a split second but not stay on. Finally, I went over and pushed the button on the front of the unit and it came on and powered up. I then went to the DVR section, found that Letterman had been split into to 2 episodes and I watched the second half. Seemed just fine.

#30 OFFLINE   sleepy hollow

sleepy hollow

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 09:19 AM

I have noticed the blue light come on a few seconds after I power off the 921. I have then powered up the unit and powered down again. That seems to work, but sometimes takes several tries. So far I have not connected this with timers firing or reboots since I have video and audio when I turn on the unit during the on-off sequences. It is not rebooting as far as I can tell. So far since Thursday's download, not a single reboot other than the two reboots I initiated. One was to assure the L.46 was loaded. The other was in response to the blue light coming on after power down. I just figured it would be smart to reboot and see if that fixed the problem. Not sure it did anything.

Have no idea what is going on, but so far have made no connection to operation. Everything works fine otherwise.

#31 OFFLINE   ggw2000

ggw2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:54 AM

I have noticed the blue light come on a few seconds after I power off the 921. I have then powered up the unit and powered down again. That seems to work, but sometimes takes several tries. So far I have not connected this with timers firing or reboots since I have video and audio when I turn on the unit during the on-off sequences. It is not rebooting as far as I can tell. So far since Thursday's download, not a single reboot other than the two reboots I initiated. One was to assure the L.46 was loaded. The other was in response to the blue light coming on after power down. I just figured it would be smart to reboot and see if that fixed the problem. Not sure it did anything.

Have no idea what is going on, but so far have made no connection to operation. Everything works fine otherwise.

Sleepy Hollow, are you using the following sequence to power off the 921?
Hit red button to turn off 921.
Hit TV button to turn off your TV

If so, you are half way turning the 921 back on: blue (or yellow depending on mode your in) when you power off your TV. You will get the blue/or yellow light but the green power light will remain off.
This is a result of the L146 version of S/W. A little "feature" was put in that no one wants. To turn both the 921 and your TV on & off at the same time using the "TV" button. The TV button will turn both OFF completely but will only turn ON the TV and give you the SD/HD light on the 921 (ie NO green power light). We have asked Mark to have this "UNfeatured" at the earliest opportunity as it is driving me and others bonkers!!! Gerry

spam firewall