Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problem with DirecV2PC

Best Answer makaiguy , 23 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Here's an old post that may help (??):

http://www.dbstalk.c...ck-my-solution/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

I've been using DirecTV2PC since it came out.  Yesterday, I decided to restore my HP Touchsmart to factory (it was getting really slow), and then do a clean upgrade to Windows 8 (I had done the one where you keep your settings, etc, before.)  I tried re-installing Directv2PC, which had been working fine, but now it gets to the part where it is downloading codecs and it just crashes with no error message.  It just disappears like an iOS app crash.  When I try again, it fails at the same place (downloading codecs).  It isn't the end of the world, since I have GenieGO too, but DirecTV2PC is at a much higher resolution and it works with my Windows remote, so I'd like to get it going again.

Any ideas?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Were you running Windows 8 before you wiped? DIRECTV2PC doesn't work with Win8 much. There are some threads around here that go into detail on that but it's just a really dicey proposition even trying to run it on Win8. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Were you running Windows 8 before you wiped? DIRECTV2PC doesn't work with Win8 much. There are some threads around here that go into detail on that but it's just a really dicey proposition even trying to run it on Win8.

Yes it ran DirecTV2PC in Windows 8 before I restored to Factory. Here's the sequence of events: Computer came with Vista installed and a 7 upgrade when it was released a month later. I ran the upgrade and DirecTV2PC was working fine. A few months ago, I got a Windows 8 upgrade and installed it. DirecTV2PC still worked. My PC started generally slowing down, so I decided to do a factory reset. From the factory reset to Vista, I skipped 7 and upgraded right to 8. Everything else works wonderfully and the computer is nice and fast again, but for this DirecTV2PC problem. It installed fine, and it sees both DVRs, but it crashes at the codec install.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

It sounds like you may benefit from installing DIRECTV2PC earlier in the process (before Windows 8 is installed). In that way you can install it in more or less the environment that it was designed to run in and then hope for the best when you change to Windows 8.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

"I agree with harsh."

• inkahauts likes this

#6 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

"I agree with harsh."

Bet you never thought you'd utter those words. :)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#7 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

I have been using Windows 8 since it was released.  I installed DirecTV2PC at the time and have had zero issues with it.  It works the same as it did on Windows 7 for me and I use it almost daily.  I did nothing special during install to get it to work.

Edited by Hoffer, 10 July 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Your Windows 8 is probably missing CODECs that were found in Windows 7.  Look into downloading some CODEC packs and see if that helps.  Windows 8 doesn't include them unless you have the "Pro Pack" or "Media Center Pack."  When you upgraded from 7 to 8 it probably kept them, but your Vista install didn't have them, so when you went from Vista straight to 8, they were never there...

http://en.wikipedia....#Media_features

Edited by Starrbuck, 11 July 2013 - 09:11 AM.

*** DirecTV customer since 2004 ***

HR44-700 (2TB) + AM-21 -> Panasonic TC-PST60 Series 60" Plasma

HR24-500 (2TB) -> Samsung 6000 Series 55" LED

C41-700 & C41-500

#9 OFFLINE   PhilS

PhilS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Your Windows 8 is probably missing CODECs that were found in Windows 7.  Look into downloading some CODEC packs and see if that helps.  Windows 8 doesn't include them unless you have the "Pro Pack" or "Media Center Pack."  When you upgraded from 7 to 8 it probably kept them, but your Vista install didn't have them, so when you went from Vista straight to 8, they were never there...

http://en.wikipedia....#Media_features

I had a problem with DIRECTV2PC working when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Turns out the older Graphics Card did not support DRM. I replaced it with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti and reinstalled DIRECTV2PC and it now works fine.

#10 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

I actually get the same crash during install when trying to install under Windows 7...so this is not a Windows 8 specific issue.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#11 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

I actually get the same crash during install when trying to install under Windows 7...so this is not a Windows 8 specific issue.

Same here;

Was trying to install DIRECTV2PC just now on a Windows 7 PC and get the problem;

Program crashes without any error message at the "installing codecs" point. I've always hated this program anyhow as its always given me a lot of trouble like this, but wanted to run some data rate tests here recently and needed it.

No sell though ... figures ... 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

I think at this point there's enough evidence to suggest that DIRECTV2PC will never see another update, so if you want to watch programs on your PC you should be thinking of GenieGo, of DIRECTV Everywhere's Watch Now function, or of a Slingbox or other placeshifter.

I think it was great that DIRECTV gave us this toy to play with. I saw the beta of it back in 2008 when it was shown at CES, and I was one of the first users. If I recall correctly, I even collaborated on the First Look document. But it's time to put it on the shelf and realize that all things have a beginning, a middle and an end and realistically, DIRECTV2PC is at its end.

To celebrate the life of DIRECTV2PC, I attach a previously-unseen image dated January 7, 2008 of DIRECTV2PC's first unveiling to a group of bloggers and industry types.

HPIM2308.JPG

#13 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thanks Stuart;

As I said I only wanted to use it temporarily for some testing of program streaming rates, other than that its "RIP" as far as I'm concerned for this app.

I was beyond tired of constantly needing new e-mail addresses for fresh activation keys every time there was a new version. HDCP compatibility issues for both video and sound, program crashes (like now), not seeing all DVRs on my home network, etc.

And even now I had to download both the advisory tool and the DIRECTV2PC app twice just to get one working D*2PC one as the first three all kept saying "file corrupted and cannot be unpacked" when I tried to install them thus exhausting another e-mail address.  

Edited by HoTat2, 21 August 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Then DirecTV should kill this once and for all.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

Well;

I think I found out what's wrong;

When the program downloads the codec pack, for some reason it keeps coming down corrupted. so when DIRECTV2PC tries to run it to install the codecs, the message simply comes up as; 

"The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of this file, verify it's integrity, and try again."

The codec pack file downloads to the documents folder of Windows 7, and when I try to run it manually from there, it's the same message above.

I've repeatedly uninstalled the re-installed 3 times on one PC and once on another to create another codec pack download, and they show as corrupted each time.    

So if anyone with a working DIRECTV2PC app. still has a good copy of this codec pack from the installation, I'd certainly appreciate it if you would share it with me. Just PM me and I'll give you an e-mail address to send it to me as a file attachment or something. :)

The complete file name is;

DIRECTV.v5618_CyberLink_DMS090512-03

Thanks;

#16 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:38 AM   Best Answer

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#17 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

Yeah thanks;

I found that post earlier through a Google search on the issue which led me to check for a corrupted codec pack, and sure enough that was it. No matter how many times I would try to re-download another one, same result.

So dennis sent me a fresh copy yesterday from his good install of D*2PC and I was finally able to get the app installed.

Only to be confronted by another problem unfortunately. Yeah I know, why am I surprised. 

For some reason all MPEG-4 SD and HD recorded programs play just fine, but any MPEG-2 SD and HD program from satellite and OTA, is a splotchy pixelated mess with flashes of green tint.

Oh well ... I was originally doing this for data rate testing anyhow ...      

#18 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

My Activation Key has now reached it's limit..

As there is no hack available or legitimate way to obtain another Activation Key

it appears as if I am now done with Directv2pc

#19 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,395 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

I think you can create another email address at any of the free ones . . .  or even use a prefix on a gmail address and get another set of keys for 2 activations.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#20 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

I think you can create another email address at any of the free ones . . .  or even use a prefix on a gmail address and get another set of keys for 2 activations.

but from where?

The Directv2pc webpage ( http://www.directv.com/directv2pc ) is no longer available..

spam firewall