Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longtime Directv customer with a few questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   greencat

greencat

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I was a longtime DTV customer (10+ years) and I just converted to Dish. I didn't have a Genie so I don't know how that compares to the Hopper but I am glad I made the switch.

I have the Hopper and 2 Joeys. The Primetime recording and auto advance is a great feature. Took a few days to feel comfortable around the remote and I have a few questions.

1. When I am fast forwarding through a program is there a way to skip to the next hash mark? I think the hash marks are at the 15 minute marks - can I skip to those times or do I just need to fast forward?

2. I know this is a user error but was wondering how to fix it. When I am watching a show I know that I should press STOP to end the play back. Sometimes I hit the DVR button by mistake. How do I get back to the show to STOP it and delete it? Is there an easy way or do I need to select the show again?

3. Sometimes the show will have a resume choice but most of the time it is start over. When does it keep the resume choice?

Thanks

HR20-100
Former HR10-250 Owner
Several DirecTV Receiver with TiVo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

1. I believe the only skips are the 30 second skip forward and the 10 second skip back.

2. Try cancel.

3. While a program is still recording you cannot resume, it only becomes available after the recording is completed, wish they could fix that.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

No hash mark forward skips.

Cancel is the right option to get back to your program if you hit DVR.

If a program is recording, you cannot resume.  If you want to switch away from a program and watch something else and then switch back, provided you're using the Hopper and not a Joey, and are not using 2 or more tuners to record, press "swap" in the PiP section of your remote.  This will switch away from the playback to a different tuner.  You can then watch LiveTV or a recorded program.  Then press "swap" again to go back to your first program, and it will not have lost your place.  Turning off the Hopper loses your place.  Forgetting to swap back to the program and pressing stop (assuming that the recording has finished) will also lose your place.  Since Joeys do not do PiP, this is not an available feature when using a Joey.

I suspect the lack of functionality for this feature is a software patent issue that Dish has not been able to resolve.  Just another way Dish's commitment to keeping prices low means their customers sometimes suffer some inconveniences.

#4 OFFLINE   greencat

greencat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for your help - these are only minor issues - overall I am very happy

HR20-100
Former HR10-250 Owner
Several DirecTV Receiver with TiVo

#5 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

You can't jump to hash marks, but you get to a spot in a recording awfully fast with 300x fast forward (or back).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...