Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Google Maps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

Anybody use Google Maps/Navigation to get around. I ride the bus a lot and RELY on it to help me get around. The latest update complete broke it for me. I used to tell it where I wanted to go and it gave me gsrious routes and I'd pick one and then it would launch into Navigation abd SHOW me how to get to the bus stop. Then it would actually follow along the bus route, showing me where we were/which stop we were at. Otherwise I have NO idea where we are or when to get ofg. Also the Navigation icon would be in the Notification area at the top so I vould go into other apps but return to Navigation when I wanted. Now it does NONE of this. Is there anyway to make it do what I NEED it to do, or am I completely screwed?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Perhaps this explains the problem??

From: CNN Breaking News [mailto:BreakingNews@mail.cnn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:25 AM
To: textbreakingnews@ema3lsv06.turner.com
Subject: CNN Breaking News

Google and related services were inaccessible to some users this morning, prompting confusion and consternation across the Web.

Reports of outages began about 9:30 a.m. ET and quickly spread on Twitter, with users asking if the problem was affecting others as well.

Among the services affected were Gmail, Google Plus, Google Drive and YouTube. According to anecdotal reports, the outages appeared to be most prevalent among users in the Southeastern United States.

Google did not immediately comment on the problem.

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

This has been happening since about 6am this morning (Eastern Time).

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,618 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Here's more on the latest update. Apparently they not only updated Google Maps for iPhone (available soon), but they are now making a version of the same app for the iPad (available soon) and Android devices running ICS or JellyBean (available today).

http://pogue.blogs.n...ogy/index.jsonp

/steve

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Maps will allow me to go directly into Navigation if I'm traveling by car, bike, or on foot, but not if I'm taking the bus. Even if I directly open Navigation, it still won't allow GPS navigstion like before for the bus. Is there an app that will do what I need, and act the way Google Maps/Navigation used to?

#6 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Perhaps this explains the problem??

From: CNN Breaking News [mailto:BreakingNews@mail.cnn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:25 AM
To: textbreakingnews@ema3lsv06.turner.com
Subject: CNN Breaking News

Google and related services were inaccessible to some users this morning, prompting confusion and consternation across the Web.

Reports of outages began about 9:30 a.m. ET and quickly spread on Twitter, with users asking if the problem was affecting others as well.

Among the services affected were Gmail, Google Plus, Google Drive and YouTube. According to anecdotal reports, the outages appeared to be most prevalent among users in the Southeastern United States.

Google did not immediately comment on the problem.

Damn Chinese! They're cyber attacking us! :D

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:48 AM

I did find a temporary solution. I UPGRADED from version 7.0 to 6.14.4 and told the app NOT to auto update! As soon as I did that, everything worked just like it used to. So it's not a data issue, or an outage, it's the way Google has designed the "Update" to the app. I HIGHLY recommend you do the same if you don't like the new version. I uploaded the version just before 7 onto my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.....4 apk4.net.apk Just put it on your phone and open it, Android will know what to do with it.

Edited by kevinturcotte, 12 July 2013 - 02:59 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...