Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Installation & External Hard Drive Questions

genie installation external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brenta1x

brenta1x

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Genie Installation & External Hard Drive Questions         

I’ve always had a great DTV installation experience because I always come here first for advice and I end up teaching the install tech a trick or two so thanks in advance! 

1. I currently have 4 HR-22s installed each with 2 tuners active.  I am replacing one of them with the Genie.  I believe I currently have a 8 line SWIM switch (forgive me if terminology is incorrect).  In order to utilize all 5 tuners on the Genie and use 2 tuners on the 3 remaining HR-22s I believe I will need to have the installer put in a 16 line SWIM switch?  Or something at least above 8?  And other adive

2.  I’m going to purchase a 1 or 2 TB external hard drive for the Genie.  Any recommendations?    (I’ve had a Western Digital hooked up to one of the HR-22s that has worked flawlessly and I have to keep it on there because my wife will not let me delete her 100s of Oprah episodes that  I know she will never watch but it’s not worth the “discussion”. J)  

Thanks in advance! 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

we have a lot of info what EHD is using better, just use search and read the threads (the question asked many times and answers done already )

second SWM8 or new SWM16 ? your installer will make it right, no worry

Edited by P Smith, 10 July 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

The genie isn't limited to 2tb external. However, it still has a single failure point so I wouldn't go crazy.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

2.  I’m going to purchase a 1 or 2 TB external hard drive for the Genie.  Any recommendations?    (I’ve had a Western Digital hooked up to one of the HR-22s that has worked flawlessly and I have to keep it on there because my wife will not let me delete her 100s of Oprah episodes that  I know she will never watch but it’s not worth the “discussion”. J)  

Thanks in advance! 

...and since the Genie already comes with a 1TB internal drive, best to get at least a 2TB drive.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   brenta1x

brenta1x

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thanks, as usual, for all the great advice!  I'm not sure why I will ever need to record 11 shows simultaneously but you never know! 

#6 OFFLINE   brenta1x

brenta1x

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Install went well today.  It doesn't appear the Genie is recording to the external hard drive.  I recorded a few shows and then unplugged the esata cable and the shows were still showing up on the playlist which I assume programming is being recorded on the internal Genie drive.  

I purchased the thermaltake BlacX docking station and a 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green Hard Drive.  Unfortunately I just noticed on the box of the docking station that it supports "up to 2TB".  So am I correct in assuming that the 3TB won't work in the docking station and therefore programming isn't being recorded?  

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

look around - we had a thread for same config and same 3 TB drive issue ... he did format it first in HR24, then HR44 get it right; detail in that thread

Edited by P Smith, 15 July 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

What exact model genie did you get?  and what other receives do you have at home?

#9 OFFLINE   brenta1x

brenta1x

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

Solved the problem.  It was indeed the docking station for the Hard Drive.  Box said it supports only up to 2 TB drive so I just went and bought one and it is all working fine.  I just need to return the 3 TB drive.  

And this might be an obvious tip to 99.9% of you but an eSata cable will work in the Genie.  I only mention this because the port is labeled as "sata" on the Genie where as the port on the docking station was labeled "eStata" so for a moment I thought I was going to need to order a sata/esata cable but I do not.  

Not that it matters now, but Inkahuts, today I got the HR44-500.  I also have 3 additional HR22-100. 

Thanks again to all. 

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I wouldn't be so sure ... my old TT BlacX working fine with 3 TB with a PC; have you read that thread what I mentioned ? perhaps there is a quirk with HR44's OS , so 3 TB would need to 'prepare'

#11 OFFLINE   brenta1x

brenta1x

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Thanks, P Smith. I was not able to find the thread so just went with the 2TB instead.  I still have an additional 2TB EHD on one of my HR-22s so if I have beyond enough recording capacity at this point.

#12 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Newegg says BlacX ST005U does support 3TB

"A designed enclosure from Thermaltake – the BlacX ST0005U -- offers convenience and high performance. Supports any 2.5” and 3.5” SATA hard drives up to 3TB, the ST0005U turns Serial ATA hard drive into an external USB 2.0-and-eSATA storage device."

Reviews: FMNY
12/10/2012 9:42:28 AM
"Other Thoughts: I've owned the older 2TB max model for a long time with no problems. Bought this one since I now have 3TB drives I want to use. Got a shock when it arrived as the box says right on it "supports up to 2TB" hard drives. Thermaltake website also says supports up to 2 TB drives on this product. I was ready to send it back unopened but phoned Thermaltake just to confirm. Tech said it's just old packaging and that 3 TB drives are no problem. So I hooked it up and inserted a 3 TB drive. The dock recognized it right away and it's working fine."
T

#13 OFFLINE   Bartman94

Bartman94

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

Here is the 3TB external hard drive I'm using with no issues. I just installed it internally but if you'd rather keep it more simple just find an eSata enclosure that supports 3TB...

http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genie, installation, external hard drive

spam firewall