Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wait for HR44 or go with HR34?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DKNY330

DKNY330

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Was scheduled for my upgrade to Genie last weekend but installer did not have HR44 on truck. Called back and rescheduled, but not sure if the DirecTV installer will have the HR44 again; they said they haven't had any yet (and we are in the NY metro area). We already have 4 HD25's so its not like we're in a rush; but are the difference that great between the HR34 and HR44 to wait? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Was scheduled for my upgrade to Genie last weekend but installer did not have HR44 on truck. Called back and rescheduled, but not sure if the DirecTV installer will have the HR44 again; they said they haven't had any yet (and we are in the NY metro area). We already have 4 HD25's so its not like we're in a rush; but are the difference that great between the HR34 and HR44 to wait? 

I work on this market and we just got a truck full of..................uhmm..........yep you guessed it.......HR34s.  No HR44 for at least 2 more weeks

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

Wait.

#4 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

I just got my 44 with 2 clients. I love it. From everything I can see this receiver is worth the wait!
B00BOO

#5 OFFLINE   VandyCWG

VandyCWG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

i love my hr44-700.  i say wait for it.

Spring Hill, TN (Nashville DMA)

Receiving Equipment: SWM 3 Slimline | Full DECA cloud
Living Room: Mini C31 | LG 55" LED
Bonus Room: HR44-700 | Sharp 70" 3D LED | Sony STR-DN1040 | PS3 | Slingbox Pro-HD | Slingbox SOLO
Master Bedroom: HR24-500 | Westinghouse 40"
Man Cave: Mini C31 | 
LG 55" LED
Computer/Networking: Windows 7 /WMP12 | Netgear R6300 | 50/5 Charter HSI
Mobile Phones Verizon - Droid Razr MAXX, Rooted 4.1.1

#6 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,523 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

As I have posted elsewhere the HR44 adds the following......External Power Supply, Internal Wi-Fi, RF Compatibility with the RC71 Remote, Optical Audio Out, Slightly Faster Processor.......Speed comparison between HR34 and HR44: Guide (going from 100 to 200 including ads) HR34 7.5 seconds-HR44 5.3 seconds, Playlist (96 items) HR34 8.8 seconds-HR44 7.2 seconds, Channel Change between two HD channels HR34 4.2 seconds-HR44 3.4 seconds, Reboot Time HR34 6 minutes 2 seconds-HR44 2 minutes 7 seconds. If any or all of the added features are a must than wait for the HR44. As for speed, the HR44 is slightly faster than the HR34 with the exception of reboot time.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

If you're not in a rush why wouldn't you wait.  The 34 has no advantages over the 44 but 44 has obvious benefits...  The benefits vary depending on who you ask.  The 34 and 44 both cost the same and come with the same 2 year agreement.  I can't see why you'd not want to wait!

#8 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

I talked to an installer on Monday and he said to wait on the hr44s. Apparently, he has replaced 12 of them in the past week and said the hdmi ports had failed on the units he replaced. He thinks it could be happening due to a power surge.

#9 OFFLINE   Jmbt

Jmbt

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

When will the 44s be available in most markets? Wondering how long I should wait before ordering.

#10 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

When will the 44s be available in most markets? Wondering how long I should wait before ordering.

Why don't you look at the various threads that have covered this question (although not actually answering it) ad nauseum? 

I don't think anyone can anticipate when it will be in any particular market, but as they start coming it, there are at least two threads that report when they got there.   As to when in "most markets", depending on your definition, it might already be available in "most markets".    There is even a map on one of the threads.   I am too lazy to link it for you, but that is because I already have mine.   If I didn't, I would be looking in the HD DVR/Receiver discussion.   One thread is 29 pages long and another one I saw had 8 or 9.

Not trying to be mean, but look it up, it is easier than asking.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

"soon"   :rolling:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 644 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

This is kinda scary. If I do wait, what's the best way to determine if the hr44 is really available in your area? I can wait. My other issue is finding an installer who is willing to replace only the LNb. The installer last week wanted to replace and relocate the entire dish. If I have to go through all that, the hr44 would make it more bearable.

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I think any competent installer will not want to replace more than the LNB unless there is something really wrong with the dish. You just has someone whdidntknow what he was doings think. We all might be able to tell if you post pictures of your current dish install.

#14 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

I think any competent installer will not want to replace more than the LNB unless there is something really wrong with the dish. You just has someone whdidntknow what he was doings think. We all might be able to tell if you post pictures of your current dish install.

Although now a real good close up, here's a pic from my WU feed: 

http://www.wundergro...bwx/1/show.html

From what I recall talking to the last installer, he said his company no longer supports mounting dishes on the side (bottom of the roof line) like where mine is and one of the bolts for the main plate apparently is slightly angled.  The current install has been there 3-4 years with no problems.  The slim-line 5 has the 2 thin arms and the one main dish arm.

Edited by VaJim, 23 July 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

Sorry, but that is a poor angle and a worse picture! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Sorry, but that is a poor angle and a worse picture! 

True...the angle is bad (from the room over looking that side of the yard) the quality may change as the sun moves around.  I think I'll just wait until Thursday and see what happens with the next installer.  I think what confused us with the first installer was that he appeared to be mixing the issues.  That is, first he talked about company policy and how one of my bolts did not appear to be straight.  Then in the house when my wife asked the same why question, the focus seemed to shift to, we just needed a newer/bigger dish to get all of our programming.   

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Well, you don't need a different dish, you need a different lnb.  If it is installed wrong, even if it has been fine, it may not be forever, and he could get nailed for a bad install if its left improperly installed.  But since he was jumping around on the issue, and we cant really tell from that picture how its mounted, I hope you get a different installer that can explain things better to you if you do need a different install.  If you say they mounted this directvly to the fascia board, then yeah, that is not a proper install from what I have heard.  But a bolt at a slight angle, what the heck?  :)

#18 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well, you don't need a different dish, you need a different lnb.  If it is installed wrong, even if it has been fine, it may not be forever, and he could get nailed for a bad install if its left improperly installed.  But since he was jumping around on the issue, and we cant really tell from that picture how its mounted, I hope you get a different installer that can explain things better to you if you do need a different install.  If you say they mounted this directvly to the fascia board, then yeah, that is not a proper install from what I have heard.  But a bolt at a slight angle, what the heck?   :)

Thanks, that's about what I figured.  I just wish he would have been more honest with it.  I'm ok with a pole mount.  I've asked ms utility to mark the ground before Thursday. My next challenge (boy this is fun) is going to be my neighbors’ tree.  It's a maple (new construction) and we've all been in the neighborhood for about 12 years.  The last installer had some sort of phone app that showed him where the sats were.  Based on a chest high view at this spot he was standing, sat 119 (?) locals, and was just above the far right side of the tree.  I'm thinking maybe another year or two and we'll have to ask him if we can trim it a bit.

I'm just wondering what's the likelihood that I'll end up with the same install company?  The guy that was here last week said they wouldn't have the HR44 for several more months.  The actual installer said when he left here he was headed to Richmond, VA then down to GA.  If there is no HR44 this week, I'm going to hold off.  If I have to commit for another 2 years I want the better receiver, plus I like the features and options of the HR44.

OBTW....the angle on that one bolt is not that bad.  You have to look hard to even see it.

spam firewall