Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio/video freezing up

Best Answer jrob529 , 11 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

The tech apparently found the problem- it was a defective power strip. His supervisor has seen the same issue a few times but it is unusual. Has anyone heard of this? Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrob529

jrob529

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

Audio/video freezing up on my new genie. It replaced the previous model a few days ago for the same issue. So, needless to say, I don't think it's the receiver. The replacement is an hr44. Any thoughts? I've switched out the hdmi cable with no success. When it first starts happening, the menu screen will turn from a black background to white. The freezing occurs with both live broadcasts and DVR programs. It also occurs on all channels. I've had 3 techs come out to fix it and the only they've done is switched out the receiver with no success.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Audio/video freezing up on my new genie. It replaced the previous model a few days ago for the same issue. So, needless to say, I don't think it's the receiver. The replacement is an hr44. Any thoughts? I've switched out the hdmi cable with no success. When it first starts happening, the menu screen will turn from a black background to white. The freezing occurs with both live broadcasts and DVR programs. It also occurs on all channels. I've had 3 techs come out to fix it and the only they've done is switched out the receiver with no success.

I have had 2 bad  34's do the same thing.... now this one is also, so we are working on a 3rd now... Completely conceivable on all levels in my book.

Edited by Datagg, 10 July 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   jrob529

jrob529

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Thanks. It's strange how it will work for hours with no issues and then freee. I thought it might be the power inverter but I'm grasping at straws.

#4 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

My HR44 has frozen on recording playback a few times in its first week of service. A short rewind fixes the problem. I think this is a software bug that will be fixed in future downloads, a little annoying but no big deal.
T

#5 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

My HR44 has frozen on recording playback a few times in its first week of service. A short rewind fixes the problem. I think this is a software bug that will be fixed in future downloads, a little annoying but no big deal.

at least you can regain your show.. when my first 1, and second one... well see on the 3rd, just locks up from live tv upon unpause is an epidemic they refuse to acknowledge.  i still hold out that one day there will be a fix, but i wont hold my breath.

#6 OFFLINE   jrob529

jrob529

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:03 PM   Best Answer

The tech apparently found the problem- it was a defective power strip. His supervisor has seen the same issue a few times but it is unusual. Has anyone heard of this?

#7 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,966 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

A bad power strip?  Yeah,. seen those many times, its not all that uncommon.  Most that cost less the $20 aren't built to last forever, especially if you have a lot of power swings and surges. Look at it this way, why do so many high end ones only come with a few years warranty?  ;)  And every time you turn on a tv or av receiver, you have a power surge.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

The tech apparently found the problem- it was a defective power strip. His supervisor has seen the same issue a few times but it is unusual. Has anyone heard of this?

Never plug your dvr into a power strip, buy a reasonably priced ups or HT power conditioner type unit instead.

Edited by CCarncross, 13 July 2013 - 08:56 PM.

• jrob529 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

What is considered reasonable for an HT power conditioner?  I just experienced sticker shock!!

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

What is considered reasonable for an HT power conditioner?  I just experienced sticker shock!!

They typically start around a few hundred dollars, especially if you find some on sale.  But you can literally plug your entire entertainment center gear into it.  You're probably going to pay $150 or more for a decent UPS as well so its potatoe potato.

#11 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:05 AM

I have used several UPSs similar to the one in the link below without any issues for years, price ranged $30-$60.
Maybe the more expensive ones have a major benefit, I have no idea. I imagine it depends on what you are connecting. But for just a DVR I doubt it makes any difference.
http://www.amazon.co...=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

Edited by ticmxman, 14 July 2013 - 06:09 AM.

T

spam firewall